“Good hotel, great location - excels on service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Raffles Beijing Hotel

Save Saved
You added Raffles Beijing Hotel to your Saves list
Raffles Beijing Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 East Chang An Avenue, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100004, China (Xidan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #26 of 5,414 Hotels in Beijing
New York
“Good hotel, great location - excels on service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My first stay in a Raffles hotel. Walked in the door and was greeted by our ambassador John Spooner who got us checked in and situated. Was very helpful in suggesting a walking itinerary to take in some sights, a dinner reservation, and departure plans (incl. a late checkout).

The room was what you would expect for a hotel in this price range in BJ - clean and comfortable. Hotel is 5 minute walk to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, so very centrally located.

I never thought I'd say a $45 breakfast was a good deal but I'd opt for it again - what a selection! From fresh cheeses to omelets to dumplings to cereals to individually mixed yoghurts. For foodies like me this was a real treat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Sent on behalf of Mr. Matthias Al-Amiry, General Manager Raffles Beijing Hotel, who is currently traveling.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing as well as for your feedback following your recent stay. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and were able to make the best of your journey thanks to John’s tailored recommendations. The value of the breakfast as praised by you is certainly one of what most of our guest eulogize us on; we continuously strive to balance our menus with both western and local flavors to accommodate all tastes and ensure our guests experience the local cuisine.

Here at Raffles our goal is creating emotional luxury by offering thoughtful, welcoming, graceful and charming service. Certainly, facilities and location are very important to our guests but we also believe that in the end it is the personal touches that make the difference.

Should you return to Beijing we would love to welcoming you again to Raffles!

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I recently returned to the Raffles Beijing Hotel on business. This was my third visit and I was delighted to have received the same high quality service I have come to expect of this fine hotel. I travel extensively and have rarely experienced such attention to detail, personal service and staff members who go out of their way to make guests feel comfortable. All of my requests--for pressing garments, extra wireless router, restaurant reservations, meeting rooms--were undertaken quickly and efficiently.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Dr. Norah,

Thank you once again for making Raffles your home away from home while in Beijing . We are delighted to learn that you continue feeling comfortable every time you are with us and am personally looking forward to see you again soon!

On behalf of my entire team I would like to thank you for the comments on TripAdvisor. I will share you report with all of our colleagues and I am certain sentiments such as yours will entice them to further improve their services.

Our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests. We are committed to making a difference every day; continually getting better to keep us the best. It is truly accolades such as yours that encourages the team and push us to continue improving on our products and services.

Once again, thank you very much for choosing Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back.

Regards,
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My daughter and I spent a week at Raffles Beijing in June, 2013. The hotel was beautiful, but what made the experience special for us was the staff. We were met by Ambassador John Spooner, who told us how to get around Beijing and smoothed out any problems we had. He was worth his weight in gold, Sage Li in the Raffles Lounge also went to extraordinary lengths to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from sunny Beijing!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us on this special trip with your daughter.

It is always a enormous pleasure and tremendously rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks on outstanding colleagues such as John and Sage. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that along with your daughter, you enjoyed your journey in Beijing . We will certainly share your comments with everyone and please be assured that the fact that you felt John was worth his weight in gold while staying at Raffles is one of the biggest compliments not only to John but for all of us.

Kind regards,

Chengdu, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We recently spent 8 nights at Raffles during a visit to Beijing to see our son at University. From the moment we arrived at Beijing Airport, we were made welcome, the airport transfer was excellent and worth every penny. On arrival at the hotel, things got even better. We thoroughly recommend this hotel, the staff were fantastic. In particular, Sage deserves special mention. A fantastic ambassador for a very special hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel.

Here at Raffles our goal is creating emotional luxury by offering thoughtful, welcoming, graceful and charming service. Therefore, we were delighted to learn that you enjoyed and were wowed by our personalized services. We will share your report with Sage and all other colleagues and are convinced that positive remarks such as yours will encourage colleagues like Sage not only to continue being the ambassador that he is, but also to further improve their services.

As for the pick up service from the airport, I could not agree with you more. Given the taxi situation in Beijing and the usual airport hassle, we always suggest arranging the pick up through Raffles, which also includes the aerobridge meet and greet service that facilitates going through immigration and guides you to your car.

Should you return to Beijing we would love to welcoming you again to Raffles!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked thru American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts and immediately got an upgraded room or maybe even two levels up to the Personality Suite - Sun Yat-sen was my 'personality' and an amazing room and stay indeed. Greeted as we entered; seated to relax and hot tea brought to my entire family. Then escorted to our suites. Then greeted by name when ever we were back in the lobby and the key players like David Yang and David An met us to follow-up on excursions to Great Wall or for dinner reservations. Amazing service. They all went out of their way, from the emails from Suzy Su before the trip, to allowing us to change and use our dining dollars for room service, which was also fantastically served in our rooms with all of the trimmings. The hotel also personally got us an upgraded car for our ride to Temple Restaurant Beijing. Superb location and an oasis in this very busy city. Walking distance to the Forbidden City. Raffles cannot be beat. Quiet rooms with double pane glass, even when on the busy street side - super quiet and great air conditioning too. Did we mention the great buffet breakfast or wonderful lunch in the Writer's Bar. OK, so best Hot Dog ever. Who would have figured that in China!! Highly recommend Raffles as the place to stay in Beijing.

Room Tip: All the rooms and floors looked great. The Landmark Rooms are a great place to start. The Personal...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

Thank you for having chosen to stay at Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing. We highly appreciate you having taken the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

My colleagues and I are extremely pleased to learn that you enjoyed your getaway with us; Suzy and the Davids were especially thrilled to be singled out by you! Your comments relating to our famous Writers Bar food quality especially our famed Hot Dog and offerings in East 33 our all day dining restaurant as well as through Room Service encourage all of us to work even harder to continue providing first class guest experiences.

As correctly mentioned by you certain room categories in the Heritage building facing Chang An Avenue are our specialty rooms; Personality Suites are the most requested Suite in the hotel providing a small non-exclusive “step” out as well as a sense of belongings where distinguished local and international personalities have resided throughout the past century.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel in the not too distant future.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I spent three delightful nights at this splendid hotel
Both the accommodation and attention to detail second to none
To be welcomed so warmly after our journey from shanghai
By the hotel ambassador JOHN spooner set the theme for our stay
Memorable
Bruce Gibling
Sydney

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Bruce,

On behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us. In addition I also like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We deliver our brand through our unfailing way of behaving – the personality that people see. Everyone working at Raffles delivers to our guests service that is thoughtful and welcoming, charming and graceful.

Hence, it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive such positive and encouraging remarks. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that you had a memorable stay.

Matthias Al-Amiry
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week on business. It was the second time I have stayed at this hotel. We arrived at 4pm and had to wait 15min at check in (even though no other guest checking in). Once I got to my room it had a strong smell of smoke (and its a non smoking hotel) I then had to spend another 20min while another room was found. The new room was bigger but old and I didn't want to move again so I gave up. The towels in the room were shredded so I told reception and a fruit basked was delivered. (That was nice but all I wanted was a clean room). Both sinks didn't drain and the toilet had a dirty stain under it. I spent a week in the room and was disappointed. It was a lot better last year. I will try another hotel next time. Room service was ok, and laundry service was good.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for staying with us and second I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts and sentiments with us.

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We deliver our brand through thoughtful and welcoming, charming and graceful service. On this occasion we seemed to have failed you.

Hence, I was extremely disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with your check-in and the cleanliness in your room. I have addressed the points in your report with our Director of Rooms and Chief Engineer in order to prevent similar events from reoccurrence. We have also noted your positive remarks regarding our Room Service and Laundry Service and are very appreciative of those.

Once again, thank you very much for staying with us and your candid report; we truly hope being able to welcome you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel in the future.

Matthias Al-Amiry

Been to Raffles Beijing Hotel? Share your experiences!