“Elegant hotel and excellent service delivered with a smile!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Raffles Beijing Hotel

You added Raffles Beijing Hotel to your Saves list
Raffles Beijing Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 East Chang An Avenue, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100004, China (Xidan)   |
Ranked #24 of 5,423 Hotels in Beijing
London, United Kingdom
“Elegant hotel and excellent service delivered with a smile!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

An absolutely superbly located hotel - in reality, there are many hotels in the same area but what makes this one outstanding is the staff and service.

We don't speak a word of Chinese and were a little apprehensive of getting around Beijing (where the locals dont speak English) or making ourselves understood.

However, the Front Office Manager (Chadi Chemaly), the Concierge (David), the Raffles Ambassador (John Spooner) and every one of the staff went out of their way to make our stay truly memorable, stress free and throughly enjoyable.

John was an absolute Godsend and had a wonderful way of putting us at ease - he was able to give us the guidance and confidence we needed to explore Beijing, safe in the knowledge that if we ran into trouble, the Raffles would be there for us.

Yes, there are issues with the finishing in the hotel but that's China! Finishing is not of great importance in China and we found this at a number of the other hotels we visited whilst we were there.

The room was spacious, thoughtfully laid out (albeit, a bit on the dim side as far as lighting is concerned) and whilst our room was facing the street and we are both light sleepers, we did not have a problem with noise. Highly recommended and a fantastic, elegant hotel with exceptional service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing as well as for your feedback following your recent stay. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel.

Here at Raffles our goal is creating emotional luxury by offering thoughtful, welcoming, graceful and charming service. Therefore, we were delighted to learn that you enjoyed and were wowed by our personalized services. We will share your report with Chadi, John, David and all other colleagues and are convinced that positive remarks such as yours will encourage them to further improve their services.

Should you return to Beijing we would love to welcoming you again to Raffles!

Matthias Al-Amiry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Makati, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

After checking in to the hotel we were given a room in the newer block at the back of the building as I had booked. On opening the door to the room it was clear the room was boiling hot which I had been advised was due to the hotel next door controling the heating!
The room was dirty with stains on the rug, a white chair being covered in a massive amount of stains, broken lampshades, torn curtains, stained lampshades, dirty bedding with burn marks and general dirtyness.
Having reported this and my refusal to stay in a room in such bad condition I was offered an upgrade to a smaller room in the orginal building. I had opted not to book this room type because as I noticed when offered the room the traffic noise from outside the the hotel was awful even on a Sat night. I was then told a room would cleaned for me while we waited in teh dirty room. Some 1 half hours later and after several people had been in and out of the room opposite with moving of what sounded like a furniture the room was ready. Why rooms have become in such poor shape is bad management. They should all be in the condition the room was finally in after 1.5hrs. The time taken shows the state of rooms which are ready for guests to stay in!
The hotel has a pool but it is strange and the time attended 2 older male staff sat at the side watching and talking. It was like the hotel in the film The Shining at some points as it felt like no one was around. This was in January which is a cold month but none the less the hotel has zero charm.

I wouldn't stay here again even though the location is good the hotel isn't.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor and on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us.

On the other hand, I was disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced during your stay with us. What you have described is certainly not up to our standard and I sincerely apologize for the slip-up. Based on your comments we have addressed your concerns already accordingly in order to prevent a similar event from reoccurrence. I still would like to discuss your experience with you personally in order to being able to get to the root cause of what happened. You may contact me under generalmanager.beijing@raffles.com.

In addition I am delighted to mention, that all rooms in the auxiliary building were put through our yearly PMP (Preventive Maintenance Program) from mid April to May 15, 2013. All walls and ceilings have been painted, wooden floors have been re-polished, cabinets were re-varnished and the bathroom marble in all rooms were crystallized. We also completely renovated our Club Floor Lounge which is also located in this part of the hotel.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

We toured with a group of 42 from Toronto, Canada. This was our first stay at the Raffles in Beijing. The hotel was very charming and the Raffles Ambassador John was such a delight we've told all our friends about the hotel. Fantastic location and the breakfast was absolutely splendid! We truly enjoyed our stay at your lovely hotel!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Patrick,

On behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us and I would also like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

It is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive such positive and encouraging remarks. We are delighted to learn that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us. We will certainly share your report with John Spooner and his team, our service and culinary brigade at East 33 Restaurant as well as all other colleagues and, we are convinced that accolades such as yours will encourage them to further improve their services.

General Manger
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Was in Beijing for 2 nights for business. Booked Raffles Beijing.
It took the taxi driver quite a while to figure out where this place is. I think he was confused by the "Raffles" name. Everyone knows Beijing Hotel, but maybe they don't know about Raffles. Entering this hotel, I was invited to take a seat while they proceeded with the check in process. The room was very spacious and with antique-like decor. i.e. some people may love it but some people may find it so-so. Also, something quite 'unique' is that the bed area is 'elevated'. The master bathroom was right behind the bed. Breakfast was quite good with good selection of food - western and Chinese. Overall I was satisfied. Wouldn't say they exceeded expectation. Location was great - just next to Wangfujing metro station.
Some colleagues mentioned noisy a/c. Not too sure if that's really bad since I didn't hear anything.

Room Tip: Choose the inner room (not facing the street) if you want a quiet sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us. In addition I also like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

It is certainly a great pleasure to receive such positive and encouraging remarks and we are delighted to learn that we met your expectations.

We have also noted your remark regarding the design of our rooms. The hotel offers two options; the Heritage Building, which one of our guests once described feels like “a rich man’s mansion” and the so called State Building with modern contemporary designed rooms. Some of our guests prefer the old charm of the colonial style building and some like the modern look of the adjacent hotel extension.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Raffles for one week to attend our son's wedding. From the moment we arrived the staff, and in particular the hotel ambassador, John Spooner, made us feel very welcome and were very helpfull. Our room in the old building was wonderful. John Spooner stopped at our table at breakfast every mornimg and suggested what we could see in Beijing that was new, as we had been there seven years before. All his suggestions were excellent. The day after the wedding we invited our son's new family to dinner at Jaan the restaurant at Raffles. The manager, Vincent, advised us with the menu and organised a beautifully decorated table for nine guests in a private area of the restaurant. The food was excellent and the staff were very attentive. They made the evening very special by providing a surprise cake for my son and his new wife and a gift of a heart shaped box of chocolates. We felt the evening was perfect. We would definitley stay at Raffles when we return to Beijing in the future.

Room Tip: A room in the old building
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Mr. Morris,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

I would like to express my personal gratitude for your review and the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

On behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us to attend your son`s wedding.

At Raffles our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests, make them feel home away from home and create an “oasis for the well travelled”. We are committed to delight our guests every day; continually getting better to keep us the best.

Therefore it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that John and Vinson were able to ensure that your wishes and needs were met during this important event.

Mr. Morris, we will certainly share your report with John, Vinson as well as all other colleagues and we are convinced that accolades and sentiments such as yours will entice all of them to further improve their services.

Thank you very much again for sharing your thoughts with us.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I am sad to report that the Raffles Beijing Hotel has dropped down several notches in terms of service since my last visit. I hate to allude to this but there seems to be poor training standards compared to the Raffles which I am so familiar with you during the Jennie Chua days.

This time round, the service staff (from housekeeping, to front desk, to concierge except one chap called Hank who has been fantastic in all my visits including this time, to duty manager etc) shows that they could not be too bothered about pleasing a guest like me in this stay. No smile, not even an acknowledgement or a nod was forthcoming from any of them. And oftentimes, when I took the initiative to smile and acknowledge with a nod, the response (if you can call that a response) is a blank look, albeit a hint of surprise. Granted I know for a fact that service standards and the eagerness to please in China are nothing to write home about, but I am expecting more from the Raffles. After all, in my last stay, the staff did greet me and all when I pass by the corridors and go down the lifts.

Now, that isn't THAT important you might say, which I agree. Then in other aspects of service, the Raffles also failed to shine. For example, the door-boy refused to help me get a taxi when I said I was going to Shilihe. While I do understand that that area might not be too popular with tourists and taxi drivers alike, the rejection and blank face he gave was somewhat shocking. In any case, I'd suggest at this point to the reader that the traffic in Beijing remains extremely bad and it's still best to use the efficient, cheap metro, even though it may be crowded and hot in summer.

There are other instances, such as the failure to hold the lift for me when I was rushing in from one end of the corridor, and the inability to recommend smart choices for dinner suitable for a repeat visitor to Beijing. It seems the staff at the Raffles can cater to first-time, wide-eyed tourists to Beijing but anything beyond the basic, you'd got them. And then there was housekeeping, which the maids failed to clean used cups properly (there were STILL coffee stains on the cups and saucers placed back for fresh use in the drawers) and vacuum the carpets despite more than 3 days of stay at the room.

All of which is rather disappointing, as this wasn't the Raffles I was used to. I asked in my last review if there truly is a commitment to maintain the high standards of the Raffles brand. This time round, it just reinforced in me my secret belief that in time to come, the Raffles brand might disappear or at least simply not be comparable to its heydays in the 1990s and early years in the last decade. Or is Raffles contemplating a pull-out from the Beijing Hotel soon which explains their ambivalent service and slipshod staff training?

Room Tip: The rooms in the older building can really be elegant and a throw-back to the belle epoch et al, BUT...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sal the fat Fish,

Thank you for your recent stay with us in Beijing.

Our mission is being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We deliver our brand through our unfailing way of behaving – the personality that people see. We are committed to making a difference every day; continually getting better to keep us the best. During your last stay we seem to have failed you and I would like to personally apologize for our slip-ups. Thank you very much for your detailed report since only by candid comments such as yours are we able to identify opportunities to continue to improve on our products and services.

Geelong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

So glad we planned to stay at Raffles Beijing for our 30th wedding anniversary.
The room is better than the photos, the location is amazing, the staff are wonderful, this Hotel is perfect in every way.
Just wish we could stay longer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us.

It is always a great pleasure to receive positive and encouraging remarks such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will certainly share your comments with all our colleagues and please be assured that the fact you chose Raffles Beijing Hotel to celebrate your 30th wedding anniversary is one of the biggest compliments for us.

Matthias Al-Amiry

Been to Raffles Beijing Hotel? Share your experiences!