“Not up to Raffles palatial grade seen in Cambodia.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Raffles Beijing Hotel

Save Saved
You added Raffles Beijing Hotel to your Saves list
Raffles Beijing Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 East Chang An Avenue, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100004, China (Xidan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #26 of 5,414 Hotels in Beijing
Moscow, Russia
“Not up to Raffles palatial grade seen in Cambodia.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

If you expect an old-world-charm palace, I’ll be disappointed. Lobby and Writer’s bar only conform to that standard.

Room
in a new wing (called business class or so) is very fine, but has no character which may be associated with Raffles name. In any standard 5* hotel, that room would be probably called suite: separate sleeping and living areas are extra convenient. Some nice bamboo decoration objects adorn the scene.
I checked room in an old wing – it was much smaller and has not much character as well. Probably the hotel had gone through too many renovations.

Restaurant
for breakfast was ok. Eggs Benedict were done on order although they were not on menu. Staff attendant tried to stop me from taking an apple and banana out of breakfast room, which I value as complete services nonsense in 5* deluxe property which Raffles claim they shall be.

Environs.
Right in the beginning of One-Food-Zing (Wan-Fud-Jing) pedestrian street, very central and comfy.

Hints.
Rooms with “inner yard” view face concrete wall dotted with windows. If you prefer a little bit of space in front, insist on “outer street” view. Non-smokers must take non-smoking floor only. Strong tobacco stench can be found even inside bathroom.

Room Tip: Rooms with “inner yard” view face concrete wall dotted with windows. If you prefer a little bit of s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Vassili,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles as your preferred accommodation in Beijing.

Vassili, we noted your remarks regarding the design of our rooms and as you rightly stated we do have the advantage being able to offer old charm rooms in our heritage building which compliment the design and historical feel of the Lobby and Writer’s Bar as well as contemporary designed business rooms in the auxiliary building. It really depends on the personal preference of our guests in which room they would like to stay.

Regarding your comment about the takeout food I would like to mention that we indeed do not encourage our guests taking food off the buffet out of the restaurant, as it is common industry practice in 5 star hotels all over the world. However, any of our guests who orders a la carte and would like to take out food he does not want or is not able to finish we certainly are more than happy to assist.

Once again, thank you very much for your report which will enable us to further improve our services and facilities.

Kindest regards,

Matthias Al-Amiry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

We spent 3 nights here as part of a China tour. The hotel was booked by the tour operator.

The rooms are exceptionally large with a nice big bathroom. The actual rooms themselves are populated with scruffy furniture and a dated bathroom. The toilet doesn't even have a soft close seat.

Breakfast is mediocre. Other top class hotels make fresh pancakes while you wait but raffles leaves them to cool. Orange juice from a box.

Staff are functional rather than exceptional. Attempts to get additional tea bags resulted in communication difficulties with staff who had limited English.

We ate at the writers bar one evening and food was ok but not exceptional given the price.

Overall, raffles is a hotel trading on it's name and location. There has to be better hotels in Beijing. the high ranking on Tripadvisor makes no sense.

• Stayed December 2012
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us in Beijing.

Our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests. We are committed to making a difference every day; continually getting better to keep us the best. Only by candid comments such as yours are we able to identify opportunities to continue to improve on our products and services. I was extremely disappointed to read that we failed you with our service promise and would like to kindly offer you to discuss our short comings with you in detail should you be willing to do so. Please feel free to provide me with your contact details to my personal e-mail matthias.alamiry@raffles.com and I will be happy to contact you at your convenience.

Nuuk, Greenland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Very elegant, Very professional and welcoming greeting upon arrival. Business center not that efficient, to few computers. The rooms are awesome, Big and beautifull. Located perfectly for eveningwalks to Tiananmen Square, and Wangfujing shopping Street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Tina,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to Beijing. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel.

Accolades of appreciation such as yours only encourage us to further improve our services and facilities.

Kindest regards,

Buderim, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Raffles Beijing Hotel is an excellent choice. The service, room and location is ideal for exploring Beijing. I would highly recommend this hotel for both business and pleasure. I hope to take my family here in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Nathan,

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us.

It is always a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive comments such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us here in the Wangfujing district in which our hotel is located at.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and you family to Raffles Beijing Hotel in the not too far future.

Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I specifically booked a room in the old part of the hotel. It was magnificent. The stairway from the lobby went all the way to my room in grand splendor and I was on the ninth floor. Each floor was as lovely as the next. I walked the stairway once and then used the elevator. The floors in my room and the hallways are high gloss wood with beautiful carpets. The decor was perfectly fitted to the era and style of the room. The bed was a dream, linens and pillows that were much better than mine at home. The marble bath, tub and shower were spectacular. I rarely dine in my room but did so twice because the room was so elegant and the room service was superb. (Plus it was really really cold outside) I have never had such delicious in room dining. John, the Ambassador, was such a welcome sight when I came back from a long day of sightseeing. He gave me many good practical tips which proved to be very useful. I felt as if I had a friend in Beijing which was comforting. Only complaint, the room got a bit warm at night and there is not thermostat in the room. Get your breakfast included, such a great buffet with foods from around the world well worth the price.

Room Tip: A view out the front was very nice, higher the better.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Juliette,

First, I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor and on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us. I was delighted to read that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations and I will certainly share your positive remarks with John Spooner, our Raffles Ambassador, our culinary and Room Service team as well as with all other colleagues.

On the other hand, Juliette I was disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with the heating system. Unfortunately, heating and air-conditioning is centralized and beyond our control, which should not be an excuse but just an apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I hope that this challenge will not prevent you of staying with Raffles Beijing Hotel in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

After we finished a 16 night cruise on Diamond Princess our tour company had booked us into Raffles Beijing. Everyone was so obliging and helpful it made our 2 night stay most enjoyable. As previously stated by another person around the Hotel was in lock-down because of the important meetings that were taking place. However it possibly made us feel more secure in a foreign country!! Everything was great in the Hotel and its position was excellent for Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City. Thanks to all the Staff for making our short stay a Highlight of our first visit to China.
Ralph and Judy Chick----Sydney, Australia.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Ralph and Judy,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing!

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent cruise on Diamond Princess. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel and we are very happy that you felt your stay was one of the highlights of your journey. Should your travels lead you again to Beijing we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Raffles.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed in the Raffles because of the great location and great reviews. Our stay in this hotel did not start on a great note, but was made up for by tremendous service. As other reviewers have mentioned, you really need to see what room they are going to put you in before you accept it. We got put in a room to start that was very warm and in second building of the hotel. There was no way to control the temperature and the room seemed like it needed a renovation. After a discussion with the manager, she moved us to a suite which was top notch. The rooms were night and day. The suite had the traditional "Raffles" feel. The first room we saw did not. I have to still give the hotel five stars based on our experience and the great service from management, however, I could see how many people will not rate this hotel 5 stars going forward depending upon what part of the hotel they stay in and what room they stay in.

The location of the hotel is simply the best in Beijing. You turn one direction and you are in front of the Forbidden City. You turn the other direction, you are on Wangfujing street, which is notorious for it crazy night market full of exotic foods. Also, there is great shopping and great food in that area. The metro is a 3 minute walk. The location is impossible to beat.

Of all the hotels we stayed in China, the service at Raffles was the best. The language barrier was a non issue. The Raffles Ambassador John was super helpful and friendly. He helped my wife with questions about where to find medication, etc. The concierge set up a lovely trip for us to the Great Wall. Really tremendous service.

The breakfast was top notch and the food in the Writer's lounge was tasty.

This is a five star property without doubt, but make sure to get a room that you will like and will not detract from the stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles as your preferred accommodation in Beijing and your positive comments regarding our service, location and the friendliness of our colleagues. On the other hand, we were disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with your room assignment.

As mentioned in a few of my responses on this page Raffles Beijing features two buildings; the heritage building which comprises of 94 colonial style rooms and suites and which compliment the design and historical feel of the Lobby and Writer’s Bar and the auxiliary building in which 77 rooms of contemporary design are located. It really depends on personal preference which room each individual guests likes to stay in.

We also noted your positive remarks about John our Raffles Ambassador and our food & beverage offerings at the all-day-dining restaurant East 33 as well as the Writers Bar. We will share your comments with John, the Executive Chef Christian Rose, our Concierge and their respective teams and we are certain comments such as yours will entice them to further improve their services.

Matthias Al-Amiry

Been to Raffles Beijing Hotel? Share your experiences!