“Old world charm and excellent service in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Raffles Beijing Hotel

You added Raffles Beijing Hotel to your Saves list
Raffles Beijing Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 East Chang An Avenue, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100004, China (Xidan)   |
Ranked #16 of 5,545 Hotels in Beijing
Sheffield
“Old world charm and excellent service in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Raffles has an old world charm and excellent service. The room I was given was beautifully decorated, very comfortable and quite large though a little noisy as it looking out over Dong Chang-an. For an old hotel, it is quite well maintained but the thing that sets this hotel apart is the service. The staff here went out of their way again and again to make things as easy and as comfortable for me as possible, and did so with a friendliness that is uncommon in Beijing's hotels. There was none of the "I'm too busy to deal with you" brush-offs of the neighboring Grand Hotel, nor was there the forced coolness of the staff at the Opposite House.

The location is excellent for many of the Party buildings, Tiannanmen, shopping on Wangfujing, the Foribidden city. Of the hotels in the area, I would recommend this one above the others I've stayed in (The Grand Hotel and the Peninsula) if only for the service. The breakfasts and lunches I had at the hotel were good. The massage was okay. I didn't try the pool or the spa. I used their transportation services twice (once to take me to a dinner a party in a hard to find location, and once for the airport) and both the drivers and the hotel staff who arranged it were nothing short of perfect.

If you're happy to forgo the lavishness of the Grand Hotel's buzz, the basement grotto and shopping mall, I'd suggest you'll have a better, more relaxed, time here

Room Tip: The room I had faced Dong Chang-an, a very busy street. I'm not sure if there are rooms on the q...
    • 5 of 5 stars
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for your review on TripAdvisor and the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us.

At Raffles our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests, make them feel home away from home and create an “oasis for the well travelled”. We are committed to delight our guests every day; continually getting better to keep us the best.

Therefore it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and an even bigger compliment is that you felt better taken care of than at our friendly competitors next door.

We will certainly share your report with all other colleagues and we are convinced that accolades and sentiments such as yours will entice all of them to further improve their services. In addition we have noted your preference of a room to the back of the building in your guest profile.

Thank you very much again for sharing your thoughts with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

LOVE THIS HOTEL. Great location, great service, great rooms -- just great all around. BUT, be careful of the full-figured man walking around the hotel lobby. I think he is a concierge or maybe an "ambassador". On the Sunday morning, my Asian (this is important) friends met me in the lobby as we had hired the hotel car to take us to the Great Wall for a day of exploring. However, the rudeness from this employee was un-acceptable. My friends made the mistake of stopping at Starbucks (they are now everywhere in Beijing) and brought their coffee into the hotel. He was pacing around like he was walking on hot coals and told employee's and other guests how rude it was for them to bring coffee into his lobby! Really? He actually said "how rude of these Asians"! In the 1920's perhaps it was "wrong", but it's 2012 and I realize that this is a five-star hotel but he could have pulled me aside and we could have left straight away. But, no, this drama filled man (possibly an unemployeed actor) pulls a hissy-fit all over the lobby -- trust me, everyone knew why he was carrying on! Everyone! I was mortified and thankfully, my friends had no idea what he was talking about as when he pointed to me, I quickly got them out of the hotel. A shame. I have spent nearly my entire career in the luxury hospitality industry and this is the first time that anyone has made such a fuss over a cup of coffee. Really?

Room Tip: Get a room facing the avenue but don't bring anything into the lobby of the hotel like a cup of...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James R
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor and on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us. I was thrilled to learn that you love our hotel and that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations.

On the other hand, I was disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with John Spooner our Raffles Ambassador. I would like to clarify though that our Lobby not only serves as such but also is an additional outlet called “La Vie” in which we serve drinks and snacks. I am convinced this is the reason that caused the misunderstanding. I am certain you will agree that it is very common practice in lounges, restaurants, bars, etc. that it is not appreciated for guests to bring in food and/or beverages. Also the multiple usage of a Lobby as a waiting area and restaurant is very common. Many hotels nowadays even use their Lobby to serve breakfast. This all should no be an excuse but just an explanation and apology for the misunderstanding and inconvenience we caused your outside guests.

We will address your concern accordingly in order to prevent a similar event from reoccurrence.

We hope that this incident will not prevent you of staying with Raffles Beijing Hotel in the future. Please reach out to me personally whenever you are back at Raffles Beijing in order for me being able to discuss the matter in further detail with you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was very happy to see my itinerary include this hotel on a recent business trip. I had stayed here once before, as part of a Mayoral delegation to China. The service is second to none, making the beautiful surroundings feel even better. This is a true safe haven in busy Beijing, being on the main road, close to areas like Wangfujing St and Tiananmen. I certainly felt that a significant period of service history in the Raffles tradition was on show. The rooms are beautiful, the breakfast buffet has all you'll need. The Executive Club floor was small, quiet and useful for the one or two meetings we held there. Very happy to recommend for business or pleasure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Mark,

Warm greetings from Beijing!

Mark, we are delighted to learn that our services and facilities as well as the location of Raffles Beijing exceeded your expectations during your stay with us during your last business trip. We have noted your positive comments about our rooms, breakfast and the Club Floor and we are extremely happy about your words of praise. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing, be it for business or pleasure.

MA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of October. We were greeted on our arrival by a cup of tea and the head concierge/manager, John, who referred to himself as Uncle John. He proved to be a real gem and immeasurably helpful during our stay. When we were shown to our room we discovered that it was directly across from the elevator. When we expressed our reservations about the noise factor, John helped us get a new and nicer room. He made reservations at restaurants for us, and one evening when it seemed the reservation might not work he walked us 3 blocks away to make sure we got in . Now that's service! He was also helpful with tips for getting around Beijing, things to seek and things to avoid. Our room was beautiful, but the internet was not so great. It seems like that's the usual in China, although after our stay the hotel sad that they were improving the internet connections. The breakfast buffet was fabulous, and the service excellent. There's a business center which will let you print your boarding passes for free, but will charge a small amount to use their printers for other purposes. The hotel has an excellent location, with lots to see within a short walk. All lin all a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We had an inside room. It doesn't seem like a room facing the street gets you a very good view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing and we appreciate you having taken the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed our facilities as well as the personalized services our Raffles Ambassador John Spooner and his team extended to you. We will share your remarks with John and we know that comments and accolades such as yours will encourage John and his team to further enhance their services. In addition, we have noted your preference regarding room location in your guest profile and are happy to assign you a room away from the elevator next time you are staying with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffle Beijing Hotel.

Kind regards,

Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

From the car service pick-up, the personal greeting by Raffles Ambassador, Mr. Spooner, the personalized in suite check in - our arrival after a 12 hour flight couldn't have been more perfect! The room (more like a one bedroom condo) was beautifully furnished, the 2 beds very comfortable, and every amenity was of the highest quality. The hotel provided plenty of bottled water as well as a fresh fruit tray. When we had a minor problem with noise from another guest, they sent a beautiful plate of chocolates as an apology! The international breakfast buffet was varied and plentiful as was the one dinner we ate there. We also appreciated the quality of the letter paper and envelopes. Mr. Spooner was very attentive to our requests and went over and beyond to satisfy our questions and shopping! The conceirge desk and front desk staff were polite, helpful and well spoken. They arranged for shipping a parcel home for us that arrived home before we did. The hotel's location close to must see sights, shopping and restaurants made it an ideal location to start our 3 week tour of beautiful China. Thank you Raffles Beijing RM&YH

Room Tip: check the hotel website for amazing deals that might be available.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cruisingatsea
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing and we appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed the personalized services our Raffles Ambassador John Spooner, his team and all our colleagues extended to you. We will share your remarks with John and all our staff and we know that comments and accolades such as yours will encourage them to further enhance their services.

In addition we were happy to read that our food and beverage offerings at our all-day-dining restaurant East 33 as well as the services of our Concierge and Front Office teams exceeded your expectations.

Once again, thank you for sharing our experience with us.

Matthias AL-Amiry
General Manger
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed in eight different Beijing hotels over the past dozen years. All have been quite acceptable, but Raffles stands out. Raffles Beijing has become my favoured Beijing hotel. I travel to Beijing an average of 3 times a year and almost always stay there. It is truly an oasis. Calm pervades the atmosphere. Reception is always most gracious, with seated tea service while the front desk staff take your particulars. The hotel changed general management recently, and now it's even better than before.

I travel mostly for business (from Canada), but I also stay there when I'm in town on holiday. The location is perfect for tourists, next to the Forbidden City. The only slight problem is that, due to its location, it sometimes is difficult to get a taxi. Whether on vacation or business, this hotel offers welcome calm at the end of a busy day.

Room Tip: The so-called business rooms, located in an adjoining building, are really one-bedroom suites. They...
Dear Tom,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to Beijing. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your last stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel. Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We truly believe that in the end it is the personal touches that make the difference. Accolades and sentiments of appreciation such as yours only encourage us to further improve our services and facilities.

The biggest compliment certainly is to learn that Raffles has become your favored hotel in Beijing and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights at the Raffles Beijing and had a great time. The location is excellent, within walking distance of Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. The rooms are very nice, with separate areas for the bedroom and for a well sized living room. The bathroom offers separate shower and bath, and the quality of the toiletries is very good. I enjoyed the fresh fruit, renewed daily, and the bottled water. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was very silent at night. Breakfast was excellent, with a great choice of fruits, cereal, pastries and cooked breakfast. The restaurant was also very good, although a bit on the expensive side. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful, but not everyone masters English. I found it very convenient to be able to exchange money at the front desk, at a good rate.

1 Thank Lord_Gin
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Raffles Beijing Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for you staying with us.

It is always a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services and facilities such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations, that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for commending our restaurant East 33 as well as the comfortable beds. We just very recently replaced our mattresses and are delighted to learn you enjoyed a good night sleep.

We will share your report with all our colleagues and we are convinced that accolades such as yours will entice them to further improve their services.