“anti-Steve-Jobs designs” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Beijing Financial Street

Save Saved
You added The Westin Beijing Financial Street to your Saves list
The Westin Beijing Financial Street
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.9B Financial Street, Xicheng District, Beijing 100140, China (Xidan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Recharge Yourself
Ranked #48 of 5,418 Hotels in Beijing
San Francisco, California
“anti-Steve-Jobs designs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Solid service - no argument there, but they must have hired a designer who believed elegance should mean non-intuitive and hard to use interface, and one who never considered the traveler's perspective. Steve Jobs would have found everything wrong in this place For starters, when I entered the dark room, there was no light switch within reach. I had to "feel the wall" all over in the dark until I managed to turn on the bathroom lights. Then, I still could not find lighting controls for other lamps. I could barely make out a desk lamp and a standing lamp by the desk, so I fumbled in the dim light for their switches - no luck. It turned out that the standing lamp had no switch on or near it at all - you must use a switch by the nightstand to turn it on and off (yes, located across the room, in the farthest corner). The desk lamp control is mounted off the base, where you must turn a knob-like button in an unusual circular motion (now, to be fair, might that be fashioned after iPhone's button?)

That was a good introduction to things to come. This "elegant" design concept went so far, that the thoughtful hotel management placed elegant little cards everywhere in a futile attempt to rescue us from the anti-Jobs hell. Next to the faucet stood a card educating you how to drain water from the basin (which fails miserably its educational function, illustrating just how elegant that draining design must be). Ditto for the bath tub (this time employing a different, push-down mechanism). On the bed an army of cards stood in a stone henge formation, inviting a curious read. One night I returned to find a new card joining them, informing me of my "decision" (which I had not made) to save the planet by not asking for a change of sheets (perhaps it was reasonable to assume all travelers wish to save the earth?) I was told to find a "renewal card" and place that on the bed next time to indicate my planet-destructive thought. I started a search in earnest for that one missing card among the dozens in the room, but atlas, it must have escaped the room when other cards were not watching..

I never thought I would find the familiar TV remote control so attractive until that night, as I switch TV channels at will, my fingers gliding effortlessly. Yes, even with all the unnecessary and inelegant buttons!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I am a regular guest of Westin Beijing Financial Street. When I found out the former Guest Relationship Manager left for Bali, I was wondering whether Westin will maintain the same service level as in the past. Soon I found out the new manager Cynthia Wang has done an excellent job to lead her team to provide a seamless service to the guest. She is friendly and approachable. She pays attention to details and provides personal assistance to the guest to make us feel comfortable. Small details such as walking the guest to the elevator, always conduct a friendly conversation when she sees us in the hotel lobby.

Josephine Hu, manager at the Executive lounge also demonstrates the highest level of customer service. This is the first time I met her but she remembers my name after the first meeting. Her team member Vicky Duan, Daisy Liu, Eric Wang and others all provide a personal touch to the service. They remember your names and your preference of drinks and they will bring me my favor drinks without me asking.

I have a minor accident in Beijing this time. I fell and cut my fore head at a restaurant. I went to the hospital and took some stitches on my forehead. When the staff notice my injury, they all show their concern and offer all kinds of assistance. Eric at the concierge desk goes out of his way to get me some pain killer. Eason Han offers to send someone to my room to help me wash my hair because I cannot have water contact with the wound. Even though I did not accept the offer, I am deeply impressed by his genuine concern. Raymond Song at the front desk is also very helpful.

I also want to praise the hotel management team for their dedication to customer service. I experience some minor service issues at the breakfast restaurant Senses, such as when I order tea or coffee, the service never provide the tea spoon at the same tiem, I have to ask for the tea spoon, or I have to wait for a long time before a server will notice my tea cup is empty and give me the refill.. I sent an email to Marcel Kloet, manager of restaurant to provide feedback. Then I found out he was on vacation, but within 24 hours, he returns my email and apologize for the service. The next day when I went to Senses again, I found the issue was corrected. I am deeply impressed by his dedication and taking ownership of the problem even though he was on vacation. Not only that, one of the servers at the restaurant, Tracy Zhao, actually remembers the way I like my tea prepared and offer me the same without me asking .

I want to quote my wife's comment to summarize my experience with Westin at Financial Street. Each year I spend 3 months on the road and stay at different major hotels. But every time when I arrived at Westin Financial Street, she will send me an email and say, "now I have peace of mind because I know you will be look after by the staff at Westin and I know you will feel like home."

What makes this hotel better than the rest is the people. The staff are well trained and always maintain their professionalism.

Raymond Li

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
TheWestinBeijingFS, Hotel Manager at The Westin Beijing Financial Street, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Mr. Raymond Li,

Thank you very much for sharing such genuine and great comments with us and others.
With passion for delighting our guests, it is always pleasing to hear of such an enjoyable experience. At the same time, we are sorry to hear about your accident and hope that you have recovered well.

We have taken the liberty of sharing your and your wife’s praising words with our associates,
in particularly our Director of Rooms Cynthia Wang, Josephine Hu, Eason Han, Marcel Kloet and their teams as a great example of the services we strive to provide to all of our guests.

Mr. Raymond Li, thanks again for your loyalty and the compliments to our hotel and its team,
we certainly look forward welcoming you back soon.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I had to attend to a 2 day conference in Beijing and wasn´t not dissapointed with this choice. The hotel was nice, clean and comfortable. My room was nice and had views to the city. The pool facilities were excellent. I relaxed there on the afternoons after my conference.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
TheWestinBeijingFS, Hotel Manager at The Westin Beijing Financial Street, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Juan L,

Thank you for sharing your insights with us and others here on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that our hotel facilities could assist you in your business trip and leave you with good impressions.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Beijing Financial Street the next time your travels bring you to Beijing.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is an outstanding, luxurious hotel...not too far from The Forbidden City. Everything in the hotel shouts luxury. A huge, comfortable bed, welcoming front desk able to help you with both tours and money exchange...BUT, the piece de resistance was the BREAKFAST Buffet...What a wonderful way to start off your day of touring or business.
Other than the Forbidden City, the rest of the tourist attractions are easily reached via public transportation. This area is very new and filled with highrise office/corporate buildings.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
TheWestinBeijingFS, Hotel Manager at The Westin Beijing Financial Street, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Nsenya,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience and recommendation with us and others on Trip Advisor.

It is great to know that our hotel and services could complement your trip here, our Westin’s signature Heavenly Bed added to your comfort and the breakfast buffet spread left you well nourished. We are also happy to learn that our central location close to some of the main tourist attractions was convenient to you.

We would look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Very nice hotel in the financial centre of the city. Excellent buffet breakfast. Nice room & faultless service. Happy hour 5 - 7 most days.
However, from a tourists point of view, it is a boring area. The surrounding area consists of big banks and large corporate buildings. We eventually did find some genuine Chinese eateries.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street - watching the rush hour traffic was very entertaining.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 154hILLS,

Thank you for staying with us.

We are delighted to receive your feedback following your recent stay and trust you had an enjoyable time in Beijing. At Westin, we aim to deliver highest quality services to our guests at every touch point and I am glad to hear this was reflected during your stay with us. It is great to take your compliments towards our facilities and breakfast on board.

We hope your words will also inspire others to visit our hotel.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The best hotel in Beijing in terms of service. The staffs in 26F are really exceptional and they make you feel at home. People changed in 26F, but the quality of their service never changed. They are always ready to help you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
TheWestinBeijingFS, Hotel Manager at The Westin Beijing Financial Street, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear LARRY C,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting such a wonderful review on the Trip Advisor.

We will share your positive feedback with our team at The Westin Executive Lounge. We consistently strive to provide great and personalized service in an instinctive manner and are happy to learn that the team – both old and new – accommodated this.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and thank you once more for your kind words of appreciation.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The main attraction is proximity to banks and financial services firms. Quite a long way from everything else, especially during rush hour. Great Sunday brunch (perhaps the best in Beijing), but a bit pricey at about 400-500 yuan per person. Was upgraded to the executive residences, but I would recommend the luxury suites instead. The executive residences are a bit worn and lacking in updated amenities. Workout facilities, pool and spa are excellent.

Room Tip: Book the deluxe or club room and ask for upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
TheWestinBeijingFS, Hotel Manager at The Westin Beijing Financial Street, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Hotel_reviewer1983,

Thank you for sharing your insights with us and others here on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to take your compliments towards our Bubbly Sunday Brunch on board; indeed our Sunday Brunch is widely recognized in the city and has won some great awards.

At the same time it is sad to hear that our Executive Residences did not live up to your expectations and would certainly take this into consideration for a future visit.

We are glad that other hotel facilities left you with good impressions and thank you for staying with us.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Westin Beijing Financial Street? Share your experiences!