“Leaves a lot to be desired” 2 of 5 stars
Review of News Plaza Hotel

You added News Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
News Plaza Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.26 Jianguomennei Main Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100005, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #981 of 5,463 Hotels in Beijing
Australia
“Leaves a lot to be desired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in April with my husband and 16 year old daughter. Our tour guide told us on the coach on the way from the airport that it was a Chinese 5 star hotel. As it turns out Chinese 5 star is NOT the equivalent to International 5 star standards.

The hotel is in a convenient location with a large shopping mall with great restaurants across the road. It is also close to the subway station - 2 stops away from the Silk Markets and 7 Bus stops away from the Pearl Markets. Also a very easy stroll to Wangfujing Road which is fun to visit at night.

The rooms are large with plenty of room for 3 people, but they are in desperate need of cleaning and renovation. The carpets were filthy, paint was peeling, lights didn't work, towel rails in the bathroom kept falling off the wall and the beds were rock hard - although I think this is a Chinese preference. The rollaway bed our daughter had to sleep on was dreadfully uncomfortable. She couldn't decide which was worse to sleep on, the filthy sofa or the rock hard bed with bars digging into her back all night. Was lucky we were so tired by the end of the day that we could sleep anywhere.

We didn't have the problem of the stink of smoke as many others in our group did but we did have a really strong smell of urine in the bathroom each morning - not ok. A couple of others in our group also had this problem.

I also noticed that in another review someone was saying they couldn't adjust their air-conditioning. Others on the trip also mentioned this to our guide and he told us that it is against the law for establishments in Beijing to run their air-conditioning at that time of year. They can't start using it until May. They are only allowed to run the fans - just passing on what we were told.

For location, I would look for a hotel in this area, but probably not this one because even though we spent very little time in the room, I do like to be confident with hygiene when I am staying somewhere

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights on a group tour to Beijing. I prefer to make my own travel arrangements and staying at this hotel reinforced to me why.

We attended a business conference in Shanghai and a group extension tour to Beijing was offered and we decided to go with the flow and join the group trip.

The hotel rooms were very large and the soft furnishings included a 2 seater couch, an arm chair with ottoman, a desk and two large upright chairs. The furniture was in good order.

We are a couple and we were allocated a room with twin beds, while other single members in the group were given king beds????? How does that work? Because of the language barrier (I speak no Chinese) I didn't bother trying to change.

I think they must have had left over concrete when they built the hotel and they decided to use it to make the beds - honestly there was no softness to the beds at all, it was literally like sleeping on concrete.

Our bed side lamps did not work, our toilet blocked and when we showered we were standing in 2 inches of water because the drain could not cope. The bar fridge was not in the cupboard allocated to the bar fridge but was in the cupboard under the TV. Again - why??? We were lucky to find it.

We could not get the airconditioner to go below 23 degrees celcius and for us this was too hot for comfortable sleeping so we ended up opening the windows and listening to the traffic.

One area where I hope Asia catches up with the West is with "non-smoking" in hotel bedrooms, there were ash trays supplied, on the coffee table, on the sill next to the toilet, on the bedside table - YUK. Everything stunk of cigarette smoke, even my pillow and being an asthmatic I suffered for it. On speaking to others in the group, I think all the rooms were the same so we just put up with it.

Breakfast was included in our rate and the buffet was substantially for Asian tastes. My partner had toast with jam every morning and I had poached eggs on toast as nothing else appealed to us as although we like all the noodles, pork buns, salad, vegetables etc that were on offer - just not for breakfast.

We had some good help from the concierge who helped us negotiate the subway, his English was reasonably good thankfully because as I said before my Chinese is non existant. We had trouble with taxi drivers not wanting to take us where we wanted to go and on the one occasion we persuaded one to take us we had to pay him double what was on the meter or he wouldnt let us in the cab. Thankfully we found it easy and very cheap to get around on the subway and there was a stop very close to the hotel. It just meant you were up close and personal with a LOT of strangers. The Silk market was two stops in one direction and Wangfujing Street one stop in the opposite direction. There was basically 6 flights of stairs to access the subway stop ( 6 x 18 steps - I counted) but we found you could exit via escalator across the road and use the walk way under the road if you are lazy like me and want to avoid climbing back up the six flights on your return.

I would choose somewhere different to stay if I am ever in Beijing again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hotel is conveniently located near major attractions, shopping malls, markets and the subway. Communication with hotel staff can be a major problem because many do not speak good English. Had a bad experience with a concierge who could not speak English and gave very bad service. Rooms are very spacious but need updating. The smell of cigarette smoke is common in many rooms. My wife and I were given 2 single beds as were many other couples in our tour group, whereas singles were given king sized beds. Bar is of a very poor standard. Breakfast is average, coffee machine was constantly out of order. Poor exercise facilities. Overall the low point of a great time in Beijing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I choose this hotel for a small business trip to Beijing.

Pros: The rooms are good in size and spacious, the locations good, adjacent to Subway, in reach with Mc Donalds, KFC and a local shopping complex as well. The staff was helpful , the breakfast was decent.

Cons: The room was slightly old, the bathroom was spacious, but slightly old in terms of accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for newly furnished rooms if they have any.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed four night here in 2011! The room we had was great, big and clean! There is not shop and restaurant near to the hotel, but I guess u can either eat in hotel or take the metro out which is next to the hotel!! Enjoyed my stay!
Try not to book sir ticket in hotel, as the price they offer is at least 20-30% higher than the online price! Do the booking yourself through airline maybe?

• Stayed November 2011
tehran
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

i cant believe this hotel build 5 years ago because the beds sofa and carpet was old and dirty. housekeeping wasn't good . the extra bed was uncomfortable .my daughter couldn't sleep there and sleep in my bed.but it is near wanfojing street you can walk to there. and its near to restaurant and fast food

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great Hotel & Great Location, but no english spoken... Be prepared to be creative!
Room with no window is awesome... and its offered at a great rate!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to News Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!