“Our Peking Duck experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Siji Minfu Restaurant Peking Roast Duck (Dengshikou)

Siji Minfu Restaurant Peking Roast Duck (Dengshikou)
1/F, Donghua Restaurant, No.32 Dengshikou West Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China
010-65135141
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 8,779 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Hobart, Australia
“Our Peking Duck experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was the restaurant we chose for our Peking Duck experience and were not disappointed. It was funny as none of the staff spoke English, but by looking at us they knew exactly what we wanted and pointed to parts of the menu and basically said "You want one of these, two of these and three of these" and we just said OK. The waiter carved the duck at our table and the waitress made our first few pancakes for us and we weren't very good at it! It really was amazing.

Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
California
“So Glad to have 'real' food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were on our first ever 'tour' and had been eating in places set up to feed large tours for several days. Ok, but kind of like an all you can eat buffet at home quality.
We had a free evening to go where we wanted so we wandered back to the night market area we had found the night before to look for a place away from the Hotel. As we were standing on the sidewalk discussing our few options (I refuse to eat kfc or mcdonalds when traveling) a nice young lady walked up and asked if she could help us. We said "yes! we are looking for a place to eat." Well, she told us she always takes her parents to this place when they visit, gave us directions, walked part of the way with us and off we went down the dark street. We found the place and it was so full, they said it would be a long wait- maybe an hour and it was already late, so we started to go. She came out and said 20 min. We decided to stay and spent the entire time, and longer, looking at the huge photo menu trying to decide.
All I can say is that this was the absolute BEST meal we had the entire 2.5 weeks in China. The service was wonderful, the young girls were so cute and tolerant of us americans that didn't know what anything was or how to eat it. We were adventuresome and ordered lots of food for the 4 of us. The salad (were were craving greens) was absolutely amazing. The main dishes were yummy. Only one thing we didn't like, some kind of knuckles with fat?, oh well, we just were thrilled with the rest. The toffee apple was to die for. We told the rest of the tour about it for the next night while we went to where they had gone by the hotel and said it was good. It was Ok, but we should have returned to Siji....! I rarely give all 5 stars but this place got them! I posted a photo but unfortunately we had eaten much of the food before we took the picture.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ennis, Ireland
“Roast duck a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We ate here twice in a four day stay in Beijing. It was packed both nights with locals and tourists alike and has a lovely buzzing atmosphere. The service is very good, if a bit helter skelter but they really are busy in there. The food is very reasonably priced and the quality is excellent, the roast duck is really nicely done here, both in taste and presentation. If you want some authentic, delicious Beijing cuisine give this a try!

Visited June 2013
Berkeley, California
“Roast Duck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My first visit to Siji Minfu was in December 2012. I had just arrived and was a bit jet lagged, some friends met me. One, from Shanghai, suggested we go to this restaurant as it had been a favorite of his when he lived in Beijing. We went and my friends laid on a Chinese banquet for me from the elaborate menu - which was pictorial.

As we dined, I kept noticing that many of the tables were having roast duck, an item not included in our banquet. It was an excellent meal. A few days later, I mentioned to another friend about having some duck. During the summer he had taken me to one of the duck restaurants in the Old City. This time e tried Siji Minfu. It was an excellent idea as the meal was
to a high standard and extremely tasty. I was the only non Chinese speaker, but that didn't seem to matter.

I was bak again in March with some friends from New York City and Maryland. I suggested we go out to Siji MInfu for a roast duck banquet. My New York friends brought there two young children. The food was again excellent (it was a combination of my first and second meals - duck and lots of other things. The restaurant staff went out of their way to entertain the children and made a g rat fuss over them. It was a delightful time and Siji MInfu is on my wish list for my net visit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Luv a duck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I came to this restaurant with one thing on my mind. Roast duck. It had been playing on my mind after a few days in Beijing and I wanted it bad. After waiting until late in the evening to work up an appetite, I hiked 1 hour across town to end up at The Siji Minfu. Almost had a heart attack when I was told it might be too late for a table, but thankfully they let me in and sat me down at a simple and elegantly clothed table. After rehydrating with a cold Yanjing beer, the waiter arrived next to the table with a beautiful looking duck on a wooden trolley and proceeded to work his magic with the cleaver. The duck was worth the wait, absolutely delicious. Served a few different ways and with a wide range of accompaniments. Recommended for all lovers of Chinese roast duck.

• Visited July 2012