“Good vegan/vegetarian food near the Lama Temple” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Veggie table

The Veggie table
No.19A Wudaoying Hutong, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China (Formerly 闲散光音咖啡馆) (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)
010-64462073
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #59 of 9,382 restaurants in Beijing
Neighborhood: Beijing Workers' Sports Complex
Neighborhood: Beijing Workers' Sports Complex
Guangzhou, China
“Good vegan/vegetarian food near the Lama Temple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This place is essentially right across from the Lama Temple in a little hutong. My father and I came across it completely by accident. The food was ok, not great. I had the hummus and falafel. The flavor wasn't as good as a real middle eastern restaurant, but it was still ok. Definitely homemade. The pita bread was excellent; warm and had a homemade taste as well. I finished the bread quickly and ordered more. My father had a veggie burger. He said it was good as well. The food was not greasy (which is a rarity in this part of the country).

The atmosphere is kind of funky and relaxed. It was pretty quiet too, despite there being a good number of full tables. Mostly ex-pats talking in a normal indoor voice. No loud locals screaming into their cell phones. In fact, since I moved to China last year I think this was the most comfortable I've felt in a restaurant. The service was good enough (for China at least).

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

92% Recommend
Suzhou, China
“Super yummy food in a great modernized hutong of Beijing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This vegetarian restaurant is located in one of the few modernized hutongs of Beijing, very close to the Lama Temple.
The food is purely vegetarian, but not boring in any way at all.
One can choose from a variety of veggie burgers and pastas, as well as falafel, pizza, homemade fries and even toasted PB and J for the kids.
Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious and more than enough to fill us up.
I have been a vegetarian for many years and as such a bit picky about vegetarian foods and restaurants, but I can guarantee anyone that this one is absolutely top notch.
Very cozy atmosphere and totally suitable for families with younger kids.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Beijing, China
“Great vegan restaurant with poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The food was good and fresh. The flavors could have had a bit more kick to them, i.e. the hummus was good but very mild, it was lacking a bit of garlic and tahini kick.Same with the falafel...The chocolate smoothie is great and the sweet potato fries are delicious, the burgers are big and yummy! The mezze appetizer was served with bread, which is ok for tapenade but for hummus?! They should serve half bread/half pita. The mayo is free but you have to pay extra for ketchup, which I think is crazy when you get a burger and fries...
The service was AWFUL!!! It took 45 minutes for the falafel to come! Exactly 40 minutes after the first dish came. People sat down after us and got their food before we did! There were no cold drinks, though they said they came from the fridge (I guess it wasn't plugged in). the waitresses were a bit clueless, strangely eager to remove plates with a loud "EXCUSE ME!" but not so eager to actually bring what we ordered...

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“Great place whether you're vegetarian or not”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I like the Veggie Table a lot. It's a relaxed vibe, a good mix of local and ex-pats (on my last visit, it was full, and I heard Mandarin, English, Spanish and German just on the tables around me).

Don't worry if you're not a vegetarian, there is plenty to eat here. Personally I like the southwestern burger, with fries. Yeah, it's not meat, but it feels and tastes like a burger and frankly - given the quality of a lot of meat in China - I feel a bit better eating this. It certainly doesn't feel like some weirdo tofu concoction.

I live nearby so I come quite a bit, and whatever wobbles they had a year or two back with service times they seem to have fixed. It's popular, and for good reason.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle
“Favorite food in Beijing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Veggie Table has my favorite food - of course it's not traditional Chinese, but as a resident of Beijing, I often feel like I'm banging my head into a wall trying to find vegetarian AND organic (and God forbid vegan) options that aren't heavy on the texturized soy products. I can eat a meal without worrying where the food has come from. I've even seen the organic farm delivery sitting on the front porch and talked with the owner about their sources. Wonderful vibe, really sweet staff, and very very consistent tastes. Highly recommended for those who don't want to worry about oily, MSG-y, chemically sprayed with-bits-of-meat-in-it food.

• Visited January 2013