“a sense of place” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
shanghai
“a sense of place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

you can feel east meets west in the hotel. interesting art piece in the hotel. Don't miss out their tea garden in 6th floor, it's a hidden gem in the hotel. Staying the suite, and they offer free Fiji bottle water .. so generous !

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was very pleased to get real Four Seasons quality at their Beijing property. The hotel is very new which makes the experience even better. All common areas like lobby, restaurant and tea garden are quite nicely done. The general quality is very good for Chinese standards. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious.
The staff is quite professional, friendly and efficient.
This hotel definitely will be my first choice next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

What stood out the most is the deceptive concierge at this Four Seasons location. I have a strong suspicion concierge staff get kickbacks from making certain recommendations to restaurants. One recommendation and reservation we got from the concierge was Duck de Chine. The restaurant is a tourist trap and food was horrible. Duck de Chine also charged us around USD$40 for a pot of tea (with no warning of the price, no mention of quality of tea, etc.).

The rooms are clean and decently designed. A refillable calligraphy pen is available for use in the room, which is a neat touch. When we asked the concierge where one can go about purchasing something like the calligraphy pen in the room (as gifts), he said there are no shops in Beijing that sell them. (His claim regarding the rarity of calligraphy pens is hard to believe). Instead, he offered to let the housekeeping staff sell us Four Seasons' calligraphy pens (these had the Four Seasons logo on them, which would not be appropriate as gifts). Again, in this case, had we made such a deal, I have a strong suspicion the concierge staff member would have received kickbacks of some sort from the housekeeping staff. Again, very deceptive. During our last day in Beijing, we went to the shopping mall ("You Yi") next to the hotel and by chance came across a whole department in the mall devoted to the sale of stationary products and (surprise) calligraphy pens.

We stayed four nights at this Four Seasons location and every afternoon, desserts would be brought up to our room (a small piece of chocolate cake, a deconstructed key lime pie dessert, etc.)--this was a nice touch. A/C is really important to me. It's hot in Beijing when we visited (early Aug), and I appreciated the strength of the A/C in the room.

Breakfast is mediocre. Omelet orders are consistently wrong (though this does not bother me much).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
FSH_Beijing, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear stonyground,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a detailed review about Four Seasons Hotel Beijing on TripAdvisor!

I am obviously concerned by any situation in which we are falling short of the expectations of our guests, and I sincerely regret that you encountered such unpleasant experience with the Concierge Staff and at Opus Lounge. Your valuable feedback was already shared with the team. and we have already taken action to reinforce the training, just to ensure this will not happen again. We will make sure our staff are always work with a genuinely friendly and helpful attitude when handling guest request. Based on the feedback for the Restaurant, we will also reconsider the recommendation to be given in the future.

With regards to your feedback on the Omelette Order, after communicated your concerns with the rest of the team, we have decided to upgrade our service by adding an Egg Station for the breakfast buffet, where guest can order the egg dishes from the Chef directly, and the Chef will make the order based on guest's preference to avoid any incorrect order. We will work towards achieving a perfect dining experience for all guests.

We would truly appreciate a chance to connect with you directly to restore your confidence in our Hotel. Appreciate if you may write to myself directly at sanjiv.hulugalle@fourseasons.com and share any opportunity that we may be able to enhance your experience. We look forward to hearing back from you!

Warmest Regards,

Sanjiv Hulugalle
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Beautifully appointed rooms, professional and friendly staff, wonderful food. The level of service was excellent....the tour staff recommended by hotel was one plus that we didn't expect. Our family had such a great experience in Beijing which we largely attribute to this hotel. Very happy with EVERY aspect of their service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the third 4 Seasons hotel that I have stayed at in 3 different countries this year and my third visit to the 4 Seasons Beijing and I have yet to be impressed or have a truly great experience anywhere. 4 Seasons is one of those brands that I have no idea what it stands for and perhaps they don't know themselves but superior customer service it is definitely not. However, I digress and this review is not about the 4 Seasons generally but specifically their new hotel in Beijing.

Like the Four Seasons in Singapore, the only reason I stay here is because our company has a corporate rate and if I had a choice I would return in a jiffy to the Westin up the road which has better food and service. The biggest positive about the 4 Seasons BJ is that it is brand new and the hardware therefore is in top shape. The negatives (and there are many) are as follows:

1. Most limited room service menu that I have ever seen in a 5 star hotel. Seriously people when I'm there for work and eating in my room I want choice.

2. Italian restaurant is poor. I know some people have given this restaurant glowing reviews but after eating there I was wondering if we dined in the same place. The pizza at the Westin up the room is 10x better than here.

3. Service is haphazard. Breakfast is a cross between a buffet with a number of hot dishes that can be ordered off the menu. I only found this out on my 3rd stay, the first 2 times no one offered me the hot dish menu. My room service trolley was left uncleared outside my room all night despite housekeeping coming to my room twice after I dined to deliver items that I needed.

4. Interconnecting rooms have poor sound insulation. On my first visit I was given an interconnecting room and could hear the guy next door clearing his throat all night. I told them upon check-out that I never wanted to stay in one again and was told my profile had been updated. On my third visit, I was given an interconnecting room! Way to reward a loyal 4 Seasons customer. I know that they don't have a loyalty program but how hard can it be to take into account a customer's preference, especially when it is the 3rd time he is returning to your hotel.

All in all I would not recommend the 4 Seasons and am not looking forward to my next visit there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
FSH_Beijing, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear samueloShanghai,

Thank you for sharing a review about Four Seasons Hotel Beijing on TripAdvisor!

We have built our company's reputation by paying attention to the needs of our guests and we always value our guests' comments and feedback, especially from those who travel extensively and stay in so many hotels around the globe. Your thoughts are very important to us, and give us a valuable guidance as we plan for the future of our hotel.

I am obviously concerned by any situation in which we are falling short of the expectations of our guests, and I sincerely regret that our overall personalized service and passion was not reflected at all. Your valuable feedback was already shared with Mr. Alexandre Mathais, our Director of Food and Beverage, and Ms. Joyce Zhao, our Director of Room. They have already taken action to investigate and resolve what is necessary.

My team and I strive very hard to provide the best possible experience for our guests, as this is an important component of the Four Seasons culture. I can assure you that your valuable opinion will be shared among the rest of the team, and I humbly apologize for what has happened.

We would truly appreciate a chance to connect with you directly to restore your confidence in our Hotel. Appreciate if you may write to me directly at sanjiv.hulugalle@fourseasons.com and share any opportunity that we may be able to enhance your experience. We look forward to hearing back from you!

Warmest Regards,

Sanjiv Hulugalle
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for 6 nights with our 2 kids (13 and 10)
We know it is a business hotel , but from arr at the airport to we left of to japan it was perfect.
Very nice rooms and cool view
Extremely friendly staff and a extra thanks to Charlotte at the front desk

If you are going to beijing and are staying in a 5 star hotel this is it

Room Tip: Get the hotel to book you a guide it is worth the money
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JAKARTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Four Seasons Beijing, along with sister properties in Guangzhou, Shanghai Pudong and Shenzhen are part of Four Seasons rapidly expanding portfolio of luxury properties in mainland China. I decided to try out the Beijing property during my recent trip there.

Arrival

I arrived by train from Shanghai to Beijing and booked a limo to pick me up from the train station. There were some miscommunication and the driver waited at the wrong place but it was resolved in the end. The ride was about an hour, longer than expected due to Beijing's notorious traffic jam.

Upon arrival, a very nice expat lady staff escorted me to my room and checked me in. I booked a Four Seasons Room which at nearly 60m2 is very spacious and easily qualify as a junior suite. The hotel also throw in complimentary Executive Club lounge access in addition to my FSPP benefits.

The Room

The room has a basic layout with a sitting area, a large King Size Bed and a spacious working desk. There are spacious closets in the bathroom as well as in the main hallway. The room have amenities and features galore including a very stylish coffee machine, in-desk plugs and various A/V connections; LCD TV equipped with blu-ray player and automated curtains. The en-suite bathroom is very well equipped, with a deep soaking tub and a window view of Beijing skyline, dual vanities and separate shower stall and toilet cubicle. There is also an in-mirror TV in the bathroom. Typically Four Seasons, all the furniture and furnishing are very comfortable and of high quality. Another plus point is that there are lots of plugs in the room to charge your electronics, clearly the hotel is mindful of the needs of business travelors. Only issue I had is that the water in the shower stall took a while to get hot, about several minutes. Basically, everything works in the room and comfort factor is high as per usual Four Seasons standard.

Common Areas and Location

The hotel features an open lounge and two signature restaurants, one Italian and one Chinese. I dined at the lounge and the food is delicious especially the breadbasket. The breakfast also serve at the lounge is of good quality and variety. The interior design and furnishing of the two restaurants in the hotel are among the most posh and luxurious I have ever encountered in my travels, featuring authentic wood carvings, beautiful crystal chandeliers and very comfortable chairs. Clearly the owner spares no expenses to decorate the place. I tried dinner in the Chinese restaurant and food quality is very good, while at the same time feast my eyes on the interior decoration.

The Executive Club Lounge is spacious and has several servings of food and wine a day but I find the variety to be very lacking and the portions rather miniscule, perhaps as a cost cutting measure since there are hardly any guests using the lounge most of the time. There is also an indoor swimming pool, fitness centre and a Jacuzzi in men’s changing room. There is also a Spa which as usual I did not bother to try.

The hotel while a bit out of the way of the common tourist location, isn’t that bad. There are two shopping malls within walking distance from the hotel including the fame Beijing Lufthansa Centre with many high-end shops. A subway station is also nearby.

This is one aspect of the hotel where it is truly a hit and miss and generally very inconsistent. Some staff are clearly more friendly and more enthusiastic to serve than others, like the reception and front desk staff and some of the staff in the Executive Lounge. Then there are others that are kind of indifferent. The hotel is still new and perhaps more training is required. Staff, like other hotels in China, also tends to go by the book and apply the “rules”, whether they pleases the customer or not. For example, I was having a quick meal at the Opus lounge and asked for additional serving of bread. Usually, this was never an issue in just about any other Four Seasons I have stayed in. However, I was told by the waiter that each set meal was allocated only one bread basket and if I wanted more, then I have to order another set meal. Even more ridiculous is the check-out process, where I was told that as per company policy, I must settled the bill by credit card in full and cannot pay part of it with my spare change. For the later case, the hotel relented after I argue against it. In both cases, clearly it doesn’t make sense and decidedly “un-four seasons” like. Overall, despite these nit-picks, there isn’t anything major to complain about.

Conclusion

The Four Seasons Beijing is a decent 5-star luxury hotel and perhaps with time and further training, it will truly be worthy of the Four Seasons name. Certainly the physical product is very enticing and what it needs is better service. As of now, there are still some rough edges here and there. I will rate it a 4 out of 5.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Beijing? Share your experiences!