“Terrible environment & deals weren't even that good” 1 of 5 stars
Review of New Silk Alley Market (Xiu Shui)

New Silk Alley Market (Xiu Shui)
No.8 Xiushui East Street, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100600, China
010-51699003
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 266 Shopping in Beijing
3.5 of 5 stars 398 Reviews
Type: Shops, Flea/ Street Markets, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: In addition to a wide variety of silk products, this popular market offers cashmere garments, leather goods, shoes, watches and traditional handicrafts.
Calgary, Canada
14 attraction reviews
“Terrible environment & deals weren't even that good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We hated this place. We were really expecting some good bargains/deals seeing as everything is knock-offs and fakes, but we found the prices pretty expensive for the products offered, and found it to be more expensive than back home in Canada even. We also found that they were unwilling to barter. Bartering in China is not typically the norm, having already travelled extensively throughout other areas of China (including rural), however we were told that in the Silk Market it was acceptable to barter and it would get us some deals. Well we were wrong, bartering didn’t get us any real deals, and we left without purchasing anything. We were interested in purchasing a mahjong set from a woman, and her version of giving us a deal was lowering the price but in exchange would only give us half the amount of mahjong tiles. Seriously? Who wants a mahjong set with half the tiles???

We also didn’t enjoy the high pressure sales and a lot of the sales people were quite rude and would make you feel guilty for not buying something that you touched/looked at. We have travelled extensively to other places where there is bartering and high pressure environments (so we have experience in this kind of environment), but nothing even comes close to how they treated you here. Very unpleasant, and I would recommend going to independent shops or markets to purchase items/souvenirs instead of the silk market.

Visited June 2012

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
63 attraction reviews
“Return Shopper for Specific Items”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

If one reads the reviews on Trip Advisor they know this place is comprised of: fake goods, haggling, and trying not to get overcharged for a fake product. In the end, if you are happy with your purchase and negotiating skills, then you have done a good job. I've been to this Silk Market at least two dozen times. In that period of time I have seen dramatic changes in appearance, prices, and items. However, this review is because I made a trip back to the Silk Market to make specific purchases on purpose. Maybe this will help you:

I wear a suit every day and have found that I can have a suit made at the Silk Market and other people here in the US will ask what kind of suit I am wearing or where did I buy my suit. Several years ago I took a suit with me and they have been making my suits ever since. Store C2-0001 on the 3rd floor (Lily or Nina) have been fantastic to work with. They recognize me, call me by name, and do not try to "rob" me with inflated prices since I tell them what I am willing to pay. I just had five more suits made for $100 US each. They are amazing in their detail and I'm very proud of them. I picked out the material and color for each suit so I have no one to blame but myself if I don't like the material. The quality can be seen in the end of each bolt of cloth. The $100 US for each suit is for the very best quality material at this store. Also, I had five skirts made for my wife and 10 shirts made for me on this last trip. The skirts were fully lined and identical to the one that my wife sent with me to have replicated. The skirts were $30 US each. The shirts were long-sleeved and custom tailored for me with french cuffs. I selected the material. The shirts were an unbelievable $18 US each. They fit perfectly and I could have never found a better fitting shirt here in the US. I certainly could never have had one made for $18 here in the US that looks this incredible. Check out this store for they do exceptional work.

Also, I always buy ties in quantity for staff. I have found that on the 3rd floor at booth F3-5059 you can buy a silk tie for RMB 17. They will get mad at you at first; however, it is part of their game. They may even let you walk away about ten steps. But they will always call you back. This is less than $3 for a 100% silk tie and no one knows it is from a China market. They look great and are an exceptional gift that looks much more expensive than $3. It still bothers me but several trips ago I found a booth for RMB 16 but I never could find it again. No one else has agreed to RMB 16. So I started writing down whenever I buy something and the booth #. I know this one is good for RMB 17 as I just purchased 21 ties in January 2013.

Finally, I really like the hard-shelled Delsey suitcases that are available here at the Silk Market. The largest one (allowed by airlines) is RMB 300 and the medium sized is RMB 260. No one will go lower than RMB 300 on the larger size but they are worth more than $50 US. I always take a "junky" suitcase with me TO China and then buy one of these Delsey suitcases to bring back FROM China. I was personally told by one of my Chinese friends that RMB 300 is the absolute lowest anyone will sell the Delsey hard-shelled suitcases for as one man controls this brand at all of the markets. I've offered 295 and walked away several times and never been called back ever so I am very comfortable that this is THE best price.

The Silk Market is not what it once was; it simply is not as "fun" to visit and bargain as the police have really cracked down on "knock offs". On this last visit there were no North Face, Adidas, or Nike brands visible. The market had recently been raided and everything was "hidden." I did find Nike shoes but that was from a booth I've purchased shoes from many times on B1. In fairness to her I cannot give her booth #. I did paid RMB 120 for Nike 5.0 If you are discreet and ask, they may have some hidden behind other shoes. They did have Nike 5.0 out in the open at Yashow Market - must not have been raided recently.

Enjoy the Silk Market and hopefully this will help.

Perthshire
3 attraction reviews
“Shopping experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Def full of bargains but don't be bullied by sellers or ever pay what they ask. Totally different way to buy and think what you want not what they try to sell you!
Think we are too polite from over here but they don't get upset if you say no, they know another bus of tourists will be coming along!

Visited April 2012
Blainville, Canada
11 attraction reviews
“Learn to walk away and pay only 1/10th of asking price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

You really have to shut off their voice, let them talk and be prepare to pay the lowest possible price and also learn to walk away.

I usually setup a price which I want to pay and start a lot lower and act to be interest but not really to give in. Ex. pair of glass they start at 850 yuan + and I will only pay maxc 100-150 yuan and 99% of time I won. Bags I went as low as 1000-150 and got it while they start over 1000 yuan... this goes on and on.. The headphones Beats I pay as low as 75 to max 125 yuan with no issues,

Take your time and don't worry they need to sale!

Manila, Philippines
25 attraction reviews
“Bargain hunter's paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Its a building chockfull of bargain items where you can spend a day buying toys, gadgets such as flashlights and telescopes, sunglasses, clothes, tailored shirts. Most of the items are knock-offs. The stores will admit its a knock off it you ask. Bring cash as almost all stores will not accept credit cards.
Its several floors divided into zones on a per item basis. There are zones for toys, gadgets such as flashlights and telescopes, sunglasses, clothes, tailored shirts. Note that some floors may have different items.
You should allot at least half a day for this mall. It can be accessed by a 25 minute ride from Tianmen square