“Quite nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #372 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Criccieth, United Kingdom
“Quite nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Visited as part of an organised party and was quite concerned before we left due to some of the reviews posted. However, I found the hotel quite nice. It was undergoing a refurb and external repaint, but I was not lucky enough to get a refurbed room. However, the room was fine, if a little tired. The public areas were very good and the revolving restaurant gave lovely views of the smog above Beijing.
If I am lucky enough to visit Beijing again I would be quite happy to stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
bury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed here at the end of our holiday and it was a bit of a let down. When you walk through the door it is very impressive but when you reach your room you are back down to earth. The rooms were not very clean showers flooded the floor and the room was sparsely furnished with little storage. The interior was a little tired, they were in the process of redecorating the outside one can only hope they will move on to the interior when they have finished. We ate in the revolving dining room and the food was well below what we would have expected and the furnishings were needing upgrading. I felt throughout our trip that the Chinese people were very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful, and, although the staff could speak English at this hotel they were not as friendly as in the other ares of China we had visited.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of an organised tour of China so I didn't book this hotel myself. I was happy with it though. The room was big and clean and had everything you would want. The staff were very friendly. Lobby was lovely. Breakfast was great, lots to choose from. Overall, I liked it.

• Stayed August 2012
Plano, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Well, this is a typical Chinese "Government Owned" hotel. I had less trouble compared with other reviewers, but I also have one advantage, I speak Mandarin!

I had two stays recently and the feelings are greatly different. Although it is labeled five-star, it is not really set for embracing international travelers.

My first stay was in last December when I attended an international meeting hosted by a government agency. I felt much welcome as I volunteered as the liaison between the "Foreign Guests" and the hotel personnel. Naturally, all the staff recognize me and I got a lot of supports from the staff. There were almost two hundred persons participated in the meeting. Many of them stayed in the lately remodeled Business Suites (Fifth Floor) and the room is nice with contemporary looks. I, however, got a regular room ($50 less per night than the BS). It was labeled "non-smoking" but it did have ash tray and matches in my room. Although I am very sensitive about stale smoke smell, I did not smell any cigarette. The room is clean but old. It pretty much follow the Japanese "modern-hotel" room style twenty years ago - central console by the night stand, not much of storage.

My recent stay was in late March as it is a "contract hotel" with discount rate for my client. Since I am not with a big international crowd, I could see the "normal way" of the operations from the hotel staff. I learned that, if I did not go to them, they did not engage with me. You may get service, but you have to ask. My Mandarin skill helped greatly.

Fortunately, the operator/front desk personnel speaks English.

Having said so, you don't pay a whole lot for a good size clean room in this hotel. Furthermore, the location of the hotel is pretty good if you have business in west part of Beijing (government agencies of Communications, Mineral, Finance are near by) or if you want to stay close to the Zoo. There is an Office of Xinjiang Province (west of China, border with Central Asia countries) near by with great lamb and Muslin dishes.

Room Tip: Business Suites on the Fifth Floor. The hotel is also doing remodeling on higher floors. Higher...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dorchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for the last three nights of a tour in China and sadly was the worst hotel we'd been in. The entrance is very impressive but the hotel is over 20 years old and showing its age. Its obviously a business hotel and probably good for that but the rooms have no cupboard or drawer space and only a tiny wardrobe which is not good when you want to unpack! Our safe was showing low battery and there was prompt attendance to deal but picking it up and swapping it for the one in the room next door didn't inspire confidence in security. Breakfasts are extensive but mostly catering for Chinese tastes and the bar prices are very high also 450 yuan for a coffee?? By the way, strange pillows - one hard and flat, the other filled with wheat (I think) - not come across that before!

Room Tip: Apparently only the 17th floor is non smoking but we stayed on 12th floor and no problem
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed in this so called "5 star" hotel for 2 nights while transfer to another city, booked for non-smoke room as we take kids with us. On arrival late night we were told there is no non smoke room in the hotel and we were put in to a room dirty and smelling. The next day after complain about the room, we were change to a bit higher floor. My nightmare then start. The whole night the room have a wired noise every 45 minutes to one hour. (The next day called maintenance and was told it is the timer of heater!). It kept weak me up for the night and can't sleep at all. Suggest anyone want to have a nice sleep go somewhere else. Also the reception desk also not welcome, show face to everyone as we arrive late night. When we request extra blanket,took them more than 45 minutes to response to us. If hardware is set and limited, I will accept but when service level also dropped, I really don't think this hotel can be classified as five star. I see it as 2star hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed here while on a business trip and the room was booked by my host. I arrived from another hotel near Wangfujing which was modern, updated, and had wonderful service. This hotel was the exact opposite:

What I liked:

1. It had a extremely large lobby that was very spacious.
2. The breakfast had a decent assortment of foods, both east/western
3. There was a market about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel.

What I didn't like:

1. The rooms are dated. Wow, they really need updating!!

2. Speaking of updating, they were renovating the 18th floor and wouldn't you know the only non-smoking floor was the 17th! When I arrived, which was around 2pm, I had to listen to banging the entire time until it stopped at around 5:30pm!!!!! Could only change my room if I wanted a smoking room. It was horrible....sounded like the work crew was literally right above me.

3. The bathrooms have a shower stall and a bath/shower combo. The shower stall had a good amount of mold (ugh!!!) and it smelled musty. I closed the door when I wasn't using the bathroom, but then I'd get a burst of musty mold smell when I opened it. Needless to say, I used the bath/shower combo.

4. Carpet was dated and mattress felt hard/cheap. The gold plating on the lamps was peeling.

5. Only two English channels...CNN and BBC

6. A small kiosk where you could by a limited variety of snacks. I went to buy something and the lady acted like I was bothering her. She must've really hated it when I asked for a receipt lol

7. This is a Chinese run hotel so the staff's English skills were fairly basic. It's not their fault but I thought this was worth mentioning.

8. There's not much going in this area so if you want more night life, you'll need to either stay in another hotel or take the subway/taxi. The Beijing Zoo is close by.

I absolutely hated this hotel and was so ready to leave after my two nights there. Personally, I'd never stay there again, even after their renovation. It was a terrible experience for me!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Xiyuan Hotel? Share your experiences!