“Great Beijing experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jing Du Yuan Hotel

You added Jing Du Yuan Hotel to your Saves list
Jing Du Yuan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.8 Jianguomen South Main Street, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100022, China (Beijing Railway Station / Jianguomen)   |
Ranked #1,199 of 5,423 Hotels in Beijing
3.0 of 5 stars 39 Reviews
Arcata, CA
“Great Beijing experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2007

We booked this hotel through gotoday.com and were totatly satisfied with our experience. Even though it was frigid cold outside in January, the room was toasty warm. Breakfast buffets were plentiful, and had real brewed coffee instead of the Nescafe we found at other places. The location, at the intersection of two major subway lines, was very convenient. But we sometimes told the taxi drivers to drop us off at the subway instead of the hotel because the hotel is on a side street that many taxi drivers didn't know (or just say the "Marriott" and walk across the footbridge to the opposite side of the street). People were friendly, massages were great, and our friends enjoyed the tours that the hotel offered.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — taxi drivers didn't know where it was
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

Perfectly serviceable hotel, but as a first impression of Beijing, I was disappointed. The desk staff didn't speak English very well, very small shop and that clerk spoke no English at all. It was a chore to buy water, and I never could get the right information on how to mail a postcard back home. I think it was a business hotel and not used to many tourists, at least western ones. The neighborhood didn't seem nice, it was on a busy street that looked more industrial than anything else, so here I was in Beijing, China and I didn't feel comfortable going for a walk. Surely there were better hotels for the money. Rooms were comfortable, but I felt like I was in a Holiday Inn back home.

• Liked — Rooms were comfortable
  • Disliked — the staff were difficult to deal with as they spoke little English
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kennewick, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

We stayed there on a recent trip to Beijing handled through go-today(--). It was the cheapest on their tours, but the best location. I lived in Beijing for two years, and return every year or two to visit friends, and watch in horror as traffic gets worse with every visit. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Jianguomen ditie -- the east/west and circle lines intersect here. The hotel was very clean, and staff mostly helpful. We loved the daily buffet breakfasts with menus changed every day. Taxi drivers did not always know where this hotel was located, so we usually had them stop at the subway and then walked to the hotel from there. Despite being just off Second Ring Road, the hotel was very quiet. This hotel is very good value for the money. We would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

The hotel was affordable and decent. It was clean, had good service at the front desk. They spoke enough english. There was a nice massage/spa centre with a swimming pool. Very clean. Business centre, hair dresser, restaurant were also available.

The location was good. Very close to Jianguomen Subway station and Beijing Railway station. Jianguomen is only 3 stops from Tiananmen. The Scitech shopping centre with a McDonalds was just behind the hotel. The expat area of Sanlitun and shopping area Wangfujing were also a short subway ride away.

It is no luxurious place. There was barely any western food on the menus. Dont go there on your honeymoon :-).

• Stayed January 2006
Hollywood, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2005

This was the cheapest hotel option for a Beijing/Xian/Shanghai trip I booked with gotoday. I usually book my own travel and hotels but I was meeting a friend who has used gotoday numerous times in the past and has always been happy with their least expensive offerings. Next trip I'll go back to doing it myself!

It's not that this is a terrible hotel. It was just not overly pleasant. The location, across from a government building, was on a side street off a very busy main street with a neighborhood of shacks on the other side. The location was actually not that far from the Forbidden City but the hotel is surrounded by large and busy streets. The traditional Chinese exterior was actually quite nice and the lobby was acceptable. Most of the front desk staff either didn't, or didn't want to, speak English and it seemed to take 4 people to check me in even with the help of the guide who picked me up at the airport. Beware - there is a key deposit although they did accept 10 USD from me. Be sure to save the receipt.

The room itself was adequate - two full size beds, no internet access, and a confusing master lighting console between the beds with an always wrong clock that could not be changed. On entering the room you have to insert your key card to put on the A/C and lights. My A/C stopped working on my last night. I was able to find one English speaking channel on the TV. You have to leave a card on the bed to have the sheets changed, a trend I've noticed everywhere, and the first night I didn't notice it because it was Chinese side up. The beds were low and somewhat firm but I slept well enough. The bathroom could have used a good scrubbing, mold around the bathtub, but it was tolerable. The amenities were great, comb, toothbrush set, shower gels, and shampoos. My male friends said their bathrooms were fine but I think their standards were different.

My plan included breakfast and all I can say is that they really tried. Everywhere in China I encountered half raw bacon and here was no exception. They had a selection of American and Chinese foods set up buffet style and while I found enough to satisfy my hunger I can't really say I enjoyed it. I never had any other meals here. I will say the coffee was terrific, I looked forward to it every morning. I checked and they used Melitta mocha.

There was a small convenience store off the lobby and it was handy for water and ice cream. I never used the business center or the spa and swimming pool. The hotel lobby "bar" required you to buy a whole bottle of their sparse selection of hard liquor but my friends did enjoy the Chinese beer there. Smoking is allowed everywhere in the hotel except for the elevators. Actually, a nice touch in the elevator was a different carpet every day with the day of the week on it. It's easy to forget what day it is especially after the long flights needed to get to Beijing in the first place.

All in all this is a fine example of you get what you pay for, I think the daily rate must have been about $50. As things are relatively cheap once you are in China, the expensive part is getting there, I would rather have spent a few extra dollars for a better hotel. But if your budget is tight I'm sure there are much worse places to stay.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Jing Du Yuan Hotel? Share your experiences!