“A True Vietnamese Cuisine” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Stavanger, Norway
“A True Vietnamese Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I love Vietnamese food and during my business visits, I try to find a restaurant that serves Vietnamese food. During my recent visit to Beijing with a group of friends, we were told of this small place called as Susu. We located the place and ordered our favorite soups and rolls and Vong fish. The fish was terrific made more so by the sizzling plate and the extra “toppings”. I would rate Susu as one of the best Vietnamese food joints anywhere in the world. My friends were pleasantly surprised to find their choice of international beers. Our group found a place in the courtyard and we enjoyed the ambience. Our group decided to come here just before we leave Beijing and this time we would want to try the terrace and order some famous meats.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Madrid, Spain
“Great vietnamese restaurant at the end of an hutong alley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I went with my husband for dinner and we both loved the place and the food. It can be a bit tricky to find as it is at the end of an alley. As i read in a previous comment you need to look for the hairdresser on your left and it is the alley on the right, restaurant is all the way to the end.
The place had an amazing terrace but as it is already cold we could not sit outside. We will definitely come back to try it in spring! I highly recommend it!

Visited November 2013
London
“Excellent food, beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Whatever you do, do not leave here without trying the shaking beef and fried rolls. This was the best Vietnamese food I have ever had ( and that may include eating in Vietnam!) it was a bit hard to find but not impossible (take the alley by the hairdressers). The ambience was lovely. We sat outside, it was romantic and trendy.

Visited October 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Trompe l'oeil”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I planned a trip to Susu to capitalize on my recent attempt to write more and more reviews of restaurants. Susu feels incredibly out of place for its location near the National Art Museum - it feels like a lost place growing out of the quietness that are the hutongs in this area. This is no Andingmen, no Nanluoguxiang. The sheer peacefulness of the location is a treasure, and makes a journey down the quiet streets a worthwhile stroll before you land at Susu's red door.

I was seated perhaps in the only bad seat in the room - the undesirable kitchen corner, in which I could watch food being prepared with the open kitchen door and waiters confusing orders, but a unique access to Jonathan Ansfield as he laid watch over his creation seated by the bar. It was interesting to see the restaurant from his perch. The ultimately I think this is a seat that probably should not be given to guests.

The bar at Susu is the locale's hidden treasure. A pitch perfect The Quiet American began the evening with the right kick. The signature rolls followed, and this time my companion and I ordered the stewed chicken and the salmon cucumber salad to accompany what ended up being a lighter dinner than I usually have at Susu.

There was a unique moment as far as service. At a moment I noticed our chicken arrived without vermicelli noodles, and made mention to the wait staff, who promptly brought over a bowl of noodles. I thought a bit about how this perhaps was the quickest and least painful experience in requesting something I had ordered thus far in China. It was kind of odd. I was happy that someone took care of a problem, and not that the problem was there in the first place.

In the end though, I found myself trying to remember the food. It was fresh, well prepared, tasty. All the things you expect in good food, but nothing outlandish. The presentation on the heated plate for the chicken was a nice touch. But what about the food would make the location float into top category? I couldn't even remember some of the flavors a few hours later. Slightly spicy? Cilantro? Pleasant?

As I walked out of the room, and noticed the diners - mostly locals this evening partnered up - I began to pull myself from heavenly expectations. Susu is precisely the kind of place you want to go every now and then. To enjoy well-made Vietnamese fare. To explore a neck of Beijing you rarely get to see. To have a romantic evening worthy of greater expense. But ultimately it is the food that doesn't do anything special in such a way as to create a following for the food alone.

Susu's grace is in the experience it offers, and enjoyable an experience that it is. It just is not as inventive and interesting a local as some other options in Beijing. It is just a notch below.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Beijing, China
“Astonishing endangering of client's safety...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We witnessed yesterday the most irrealistic scene at Susu. We had been to this place a few times, but we will never go back there... 5 minutes after we arrived, a man slammed his whole body into one of the full height windows that enclose the space of the VIP room. It was dark outside, and he didn't see the glass. I was there with 5 other architects and we immediately mentioned to the manager that he had to stick something on these windows. Polite smile. 20 minutes later, another man comes and slams against the same window. I don't especially like to see people in pain, specially when i want to enjoy dinner. We called back the manager and told him to do something RIGHT AWAY. Polite smile, polite nod. Nothing done !! Finally I stoop up and went, myself, move the flower pot 1m on the left, in front of the window. I yelled and cursed but nobody gave a ****. Totally amazing considering that a kid running through that window would end up in the hospital with severe cuts !!! The food was ok but on the down side compared to last time. And my stomach told me that clearly the same level of care runs in the kitchen.

• Visited September 2013