“Totally loved it.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lusongyuan Hotel

You added Lusongyuan Hotel to your Saves list
Lusongyuan Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.22 Banchang Hutong, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100009, China (Houhai)   |
Ranked #176 of 5,463 Hotels in Beijing
Brisbane
“Totally loved it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We arrived late afternoon and were pleasantly greeted by Zhang Hai Xia (Joong) a lovely lady who speaks very good English and been with the hotel for 12 years. We were offered the opportunity to select from a few rooms, we chose one that the windows looked out over the courtyard with 2 single beds and en-suite. The room was as we expected from the age and authenticity of the building. Every thing we wanted to do in Beijing was easily accessed from this location and Joong was amazing in her ability to supply any details and suggestions for things we required. We undertook some organised tours from there by meeting them in the main street outside Bo Tai Hotel. We also met several other guests who had returned to this hotel as they so enjoyed their previous stay, we would also return there.

Room Tip: All rooms would be quiet, we just selected a room that suited us at the time.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in the single half price room. The room was a little smaller and bed a little bigger than I thought. The staff were extremely nice. I had an issue with the shower leaking onto the bathroom floor. It wasn't fixed by the time I left, but it wasn't a big deal, just a mess for the maid to have to clean up each morning.

The hotel itself is in the traditional style and therefore quite charming. Seems like a place that caters to westerners.

My taxi driver from the airport couldn't find it (and couldn't speak English). I had personally written down the address in Chinese, but it's on an alley that no taxi will want to drive on it and my driver couldn't find it anyway. I finally convinced him to just call the hotel. Once he did, he found the alley, and let me out and told me to walk down the alley. At first I was concerned not knowing for sure if I was in the right place or not, but I walked and 5 min later was at the front of the hotel.

Internet is hit or miss, and wifi never worked, but that's the Internet in China for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Thank you to the wonderfully helpful staff of the Lusongyuan. The hotel is in a wonderful location, the hutong and close to all attractions. The room was beautiful opening onto the court yard. The staff helped book onward travel, which was no mean feat in busy China holiday period. The hotel staff helped us in every way. We loved our stay and the hotel was recommended by friends which is not surprising.

Room Tip: The rooms around the courtyards are wonderful
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is a terrible hotel. My girlfriend and I had booked a week there in early January 2013 and after staying there one night we ended up leaving the next morning, first thing after breakfast. The hotel, which used to be the palace of a Mongolian prince during the empire, is nicely situated in the center of Beijing, in a calm alley connecting to a lively and popular Hutong packed with history. In fact, the hotel is old, dusty and terribly under-heated. The temperatures in Beijing at the time went to lows of -14, and yet the hotel corridors were not heated! The rooms felt a little better, but still chilly and not comfortable. The AC/heating system, old and derelict, was at maximum capacity and only barely managed to keep the temperature in the room a constant lukewarm. The dirty windows faced a courtyard, letting little natural light in and reinforcing the feeling of cold. The morning search for the (heated) breakfast room was extremely unpleasant. Breakfast was just average. After a complaint, staff came to check the AC/heating, but just turned it on and left, leaving us with the impression they did not care. Unsurprisingly, no one asked questions when we explained we were leaving.

Room Tip: Rooms are not properly heated and feel dusty and dirty. Bathrooms are clean but a bit cramped and sh...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I could not believe how quiet it was. No traffic noise at all. Very peaceful sleep. Had a single room which was very small- nothing fancy but def. has character. I enjoyed it. Nice location if you want to explore the hutongs right from your door. Front desk staff very, very helpful. Room had huge window looking out into the center courtyard.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at the Lu Song Yuan hotel based on a recommendation from a friend. I was on a personal trip and thought I would try something different. I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It was a very good experience from check-in to check out. The hotel is an amazing hutong in a historical building. The hotel is furnished with historic furniture and has a wonderful courtyard. The breakfast was first rate. The hotel staff were friendly and spoke enough English. The location is a bit away from the Forbidden City (maybe 15 minutes via taxi or subway) but if I was touring those areas I wouldn't have minded the distance. This hotel is a probably a 5 minute walk to the street (where you can hope to find a taxi) and a 10 minute walk to the subway. The hotel has internet in each room and wifi in the lobby. This is a basic hotel so do not expect a bar, fancy bedding, restaurants or a gym. I wouldn't necessarily stay at this hotel on business but I would highly recommend it to tourists.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the court yard as they will be the most quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with my boyfriend. What a lovely antique hotel! It has a certain rustic charm as it retains the original taste of the hotel. Rooms are not very big but the hotel is strategically located and it offers easy access to different sightseeing spots. I especially enjoyed spending the afternoon at the courtyard where we had tea while reading books. Strolling along the hutongs is a must to experience the local lifestyle.

Room Tip: The special room that connects the courtyard seems to be quite good. I'll request that room nex...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lusongyuan Hotel? Share your experiences!