“Spacious and comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loong Palace Hotel & Resort

Save Saved
You added Loong Palace Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Loong Palace Hotel & Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.317 Changping Road, Changping District, Beijing 102208, China (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel North Beijing)   |
Ranked #104 of 5,414 Hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong, China
“Spacious and comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I joined a 5-day Beijing tour and was arranged to stay in this hotel in Beijing.

Loong Palace is location in Changping area, the "fifth ring" of Beijing, which is remote from the city centre. However, it is near a highway to the Great Wall. It is convenient if you are planning to visit the Great Wall (the Juyongguan pass) and the Ming Tombs (Thirteen Tombs of Ming Dynasty). If you can avoid the rush hour (8am-10am & 4pm-8pm), it takes only 45 mins to travel to the City centre.

As my transportation is arranged by the tour guide, I am very happy with the location. If you are planning to stay their by yourself, transportation may be a bit difficult. As I remember, I couldn't find any bus stop or public transport nearby. Moreover, public transport in Beijing is not as convenient as it is in Hong Kong.

What's good staying in a hotel located in remote area is that it is spacious! My room on the 3/F of Block 4 is around 500 sp. ft (as the tour guide told me). It is almost the size of a flat in Hong Kong! For a person who have been staying in a busy city filled with skyscapers, the low rise buildings and the view are very relaxing. However, I was a bit disappointed that my request of a double bed was unable to be arranged, neither my accompany can. But I was happy with the large room.

The room I stayed is nicely furnished with simple decor and warm colours. From my room I can see another block on the right. It wasn't too close. There is a garden/open area in between. On the left, there is low-rise house and lots of trees. The view is very pleasant with the clear blue sky. In the opposite room, where my accompany stayed, you can see an indoor swimming poor and trees.

It was odd to find a "classic" TV nowadays but you can find one in the room! Luckily it worked well. It provides various local and overseas channels, including HBO. There was nothing in the fridge as I stayed there in mid-November (average temp. -3 ~ 8C). But you can always call for room service. In the bathroom, there are both a glass shower and a full body-length bathtub. It is neat and clean. I enjoyed hot water bath very much during my stay.

Central heating was on in my stay so there was no air-con. It has to be 26C indoor according to regulations. The switch was adjusted to 22C and I couldn't adjust the temperature at all. It was so stuffy in the room that I couldn’t sleep at first (maybe because of my hot water bath). Fortunately, I opened the tiny square window on the bottom right-hand corner to let some fresh cool breeze in so that I can sleep well.

Buffet breakfast was included. We had our buffet breakfast in Palm Terrace (1/F). The glass roof at the centre provides natural sunlight. It was quite crowded when I went there for breakfast at 7:20am. I had to eat in a function room on Day 3 and 4 as more people checked in.

Personally, I prefer western style breakfast. There wasn't many choice of food. There were fried noodle, fried rice, a few types of bread, eggs, sausages or ham, congee, fried vegetables, some salad, juice, etc. The food was rather oily. It didn't change or vary much in the four mornings. It would be better if they can provide more western dishes.

As I came here with a tour package, my meals and activities were all arranged by the travel agency. I didn’t spend time enjoy the hotel facilities nor dine in other hotel restaurants. I spent most of my time in the hotel on my bed, in the bathtub and having breakfast in Palm Terrace. But as I walked around the hotel, it seems that the shops closed early at around 9pm. The massage is more expensive than elsewhere.

In short, it was a comfortable stay to me as I like the spacious room and the bathtub. The environment is quiet and spacious. No worries on their cleaniness. If transportation is not a problem to you, it is recommanded to stay in Loong Palace Beijing.

Note:
1. There's no G/F in most building in China. Thus, 1/F = G/F and so on.
2. Loong Palace was rated a 5-star hotel in China, but not the same as internationally recognised 5-star.
3. I didn't know the exact price for the room I stayed as it was already included in my tour package. I just know it is the basic room.

Room Tip: There are room on the G/F. I don't think I'd like rooms on G/F. You can hear it in the room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

A good place for vacation in terms of service, meal
Heartful chefs provide fresh meals (restaurant dependable, but most are good)

Facilities still have room to improve :)

P.S. To this tripadvisor. Sometimes short review/comment is enough, else it would cause over exaggerate/boring content and make the reviewer tired

Room Tip: there are some rooms near ponds
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed 10 nights at Loong Palace in September 2012 and I found it wonderful. The rooms are extremely clean and the service is truly 5 star. I travel extensively worldwide which affords me a great base for my evaluation. I have been coming to China for many years and I think Loong Palace is the best value in Beijing and the surrounding area and arguably one of the best in China. The breakfast buffet is also extensive and the hospitality overall is truly Chinese. Cicia is also my favorite staff member and the front desk manager. She was very attentive throughout my stay.

Room Tip: Junior Suite on Executive Floor is best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We were extremely lucky to get a great deal on Agoda, which made this 5 star hotel a complete bargin! This hotel is amazing! all of the staff are lovely with an extremely high level of customer service. The rooms are immaculate with possibly the most comfortable bed that i have ever slept in. The buffet breakfast was delicious. Even though it was a little further out of the city centre there is a subway close by which made all attractions easily accessible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I chose this hotel because its near my office and it seemed decent. This was my first time staying at Loong Palace as I usually choose other hotels when I'm travelling. Overall, I did feel that the hotel was well-maintained, and easily accessible with decent/friendly staff. I was even considering booking again for my next trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed the hotel for several days during our recent trip to Beijing, our company secretary have recommended it since it's close to our client, and surprised to learn that services are very good, they had variety restaurants to dine around, room is comfortable and clean which is facing their garden. Staff are friendly, they treat group of us have been very nice, and it's true value for money, they had charity activities next to breakfast venue. Great stay!

Room Tip: Room facing garden
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Unionville, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed from July 15 to 22, 2012

My son is sitting beside me as I write this and he is telling me to rate it even lower :) The only thing he enjoyed is the fact that the hotel is partially owned by Jackie Chan.

LOCATION- VERY far from Beijing (it is actually in the 6th or 7th ring and is not even considered part of Beijing by the locals) in a remote suburban/rural area. I can't even begin to guess how you would travel into the city, other than by taxi, which would cost a gazillion yuans. There is nothing to do around the hotel. It is part of a larger complex that includes some private housings and a more affordable Hotel/Super 8 at one end (which offers an outdoor 'food court' of sorts). We were part of a tour group and it took literally hours to get back to the hotel each night (especially on the 21st, when there was a torrential amount of rainfall).

HOTEL ROOM - the room was a good size, but beddings, towels, carpet, bedspread etc..were very old and did not smell or feel clean. There was a strange smell throughout the hotel - like a mixture of cigarette smoke and mold. Water would not drain in the shower stall and overflowed onto the tiled floors in the rest of the bathroom. The overall hygiene of public restrooms in Beijing is horrid (my mom and I actually vomitted from the smell in the first two days) and the restrooms in this hotel was no exception. I think it's because people do NOT flush used tissue papers. They throw them in the trash bin, which just sits there forever (In Japan, they actually have signs in tourist areas asking Chinese tourists to please flush used tissue paper in the toilet).

AMENITIES - they want to gouge you for EVERYTHING at this hotel. There is a large pool, but they would not allow our boys to use it w/o a bathing cap (which is fine), but wants to charge 50yuan for one cap. They would not allow our boys to use the basketball court without paying for a ball - they advertised that it was free. Breakfast was the same everyday and it took a long time to replenish food.

On one day, a man just sat down at our table while my son was eating there (my mom and I were in line to get our food) and would not leave even after we asked. He simply ignored us, ate his breakfast, left his dirty utensils and plate, and then left. The staff did not help us to remove him from our table and did not clean up his mess. We had to clean it up to get our table back - is this part of the Chinese culture???

SERVICES - non-existent - when our tour bus checked in, there were 4/5 girls standing at the counter. No one served us. They were chatting and laughing and then one girl finally started to check us in. The remaining girls continued to chat and stood by with their arms crossed. Finally, after complaints from many people, they started to check in more than one group at a time.

AVOID this hotel if you can. If you can't, don't expect any service or clean rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Loong Palace Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!