We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for five nights in July as part of a three-week family vacation in China. We also stayed there in 2002 for several days. Great location on the east side of Forbidden City and in the heart of the Wangfujing shopping district. The hotel has a very strong western flavor, and it seems to have a following among western business travellers. Except for no wifi in the rooms, it has the full range of services you would expect in a top-end business hotel. The hotel has hardwired internet in the rooms, and free wifi available in the lobby lounge, Essence restaurant, and ballroom. Because of the open atrium, the wifi signal reached the corridor outside our ninth floor room, which looked out onto the atrium. At times, the signal reached just inside of our bedroom door. We were using an iPad2, and the wifi was generally reliable in the common areas, although sometimes slow and prone to crashing. The Essence breakfast buffet, included in our standard double room rate, was strong western continental, but weak on Chinese food items such as dumplings. The hotel also has Peking Duck, steak, and Chinese restaurants. It has massage services and a health club that includes a small interior swimming pool (bring your swim cap, as is required by most higher-end hotels here) and a hot tub. Minibar items included brand-name condoms. Western pricing is prevalent these days across much of China, and that's the case here. Expect to pay more than 40 RMB (6.4 RMB to the dollar during our stay) for a Tsing Tao in the lounge, where a piano player entertains nightly. Unlike at some Chinese hotels, there's no opportunity here to buy a beer out of a refrigerated case and take it back to your room. You can, however, buy them from your minibar. We did a small load of laundry while we were there, and it cost a little more than $100. Our shorts came back hung in the closet on hangers. A laundered short-sleeved travel shirt came back folded and pressed with a cute cardboard collar stay fashioned as a bow tie. You can't drink the tap water even in the best of Chinese hotels, so you will need to be on the lookout for bottled water. The Crowne Plaza, like other Chinese hotels, offers small complimentary bottles of water in the rooms. The minibar also offered a 1.5-liter offbrand bottle for 30 RMB. That compared to prices of 3 to 7 RMB that we found in a couple of convenience stores two blocks away off of Wangfujing. The hotel offers currency exchange services, and, unlike many other hotels, will exchange U.S. travellers checks, for a small fee of 20 yuan per transaction. We executed two such exchanges, but the hotel denied a third, saying it was short of the necessary cash. The hotel's staff speaks English to varyinig degrees, and the manager is a westerner. During our stay, the entire bank of four elevators malfunctioned, and management posted employees on each floor to direct guests to the freight elevator. Our room was updated, clean, comfortable, and somewhat elegant. The standard doubles were perfect for us, but may be too small for taller guests. The bathroom had both a tub and separate shower. Overall, same great hotel it was nine years ago.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on bustling Wangfujing Avenue, Crowne Plaza Beijing stands in the heart of the city s vibrant shopping and international business centers, such as Oriental Plaza, Financial Street and CBD. The hotel is Just 45 minutes drive from Beijing International Airport and 15 minutes from Beijing Railway Station with easy highway access to Shenyang, Tianjin and Shijiazhuang. Just a 10-minute stroll or taxi ride will bring you to the magnificent Forbidden City and other historical landmarks including Tiananmen Square, Great Hall of the People, Temple of Heaven and Lama Temple.At each memorable day s end, ours is a familiar, friendly face welcoming you with all the comforts of home. In Beijing, you ll agree that The Place To Meet is Crowne Plaza. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, IHG, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, HotelTravel.com and Ctrip TA so you can book your Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing Hotel Beijing
- Beijing Crowne Plaza
- Crown Plaza Beijing
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Beijing