“Slightly past its Prime, maybe by 3 decades....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Prime Hotel

You added Prime Hotel to your Saves list
Prime Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.2 Wangfujing Main Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100006, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #105 of 5,423 Hotels in Beijing
new york
“Slightly past its Prime, maybe by 3 decades....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Came into Beijing for business, the Prime hotel was booked for convenience to project site only. This hotel is a little long in the tooth to be called Prime. The location is fine. The room was passable, with 70s black marble baths and fixtures. At first glance I thought it was dirty but after some thought, maybe that was the intent. Theres a handpainted mural behind the headboard which had some interesting preschool graffiti added to it. This kid had the whole mural to himself and went to town, Sort of makes you wonder if housekeeping ever looks up from making the beds...Breakfast buffet was not good, lots of variety but not good. One morning I chose some fruit to start and evidently they chose to cut onions earlier that morning with the same knife. Pretty gross. Lots of reheated chinese food with lots of things you'd find at a bad salad bar. Later I learned that breakfast becomes the lunch buffet so why not leave the veggies and dressings out for a few hours to warm up? Baked goods were devoid of taste but had lots of texture, reminded me that sawdust was the main ingrediant.
Overall, I think this hotel could be way better, the staff is not bilingual and doesnt try either. Tried the hotel restaurant on my last day where a complementary fruit platter arrived garnished with a huge mosquito.
When I thanked the waitress and declined, she moved the plate to the next table. 5 * I think not.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Indonesian first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed here from 9/11/11-9/14/11. Did a family trip with my mom & sister did not get the breakfast combo. Charged me ~$50 dollars more for 1 extra person but that seems to be the norm in China. For 2 people the price was ~$100 for 3 people it turned into $150. Kind of steep if you ask me for sharing a room but it is what it is.

GOOD
-Location, location , location in walking distance to many of the things you will want to see.
-Breakfast buffet was good, not fantastic but not bad at all.
-Clean, nice room & bathroom. The maid cleaned things well and I did not feel like I had to worry about my valuables (they have safe in the room)
-The kicker and why this was awesome for us: I am veggie and there was a fantastic veggie Chinese place about 3 blocks from the hotel. We liked it so much we ate dinner there every night!

BAD
-Not all of the receptionists speak English and it was difficult communicating at times. Not a huge deal at all just an FYI so you know the exectation.
-I am highly sensitive to smoking rooms and I want to say that these rooms were probably only turned non smoking 2 years ago. Maybe if was my imagination but I felt like these used to be smoking rooms. Nothing that made my room so terrible I would not stay there again but just a watch out if you are sensitive.
-No wireless, to use the free internet you had to actually connect your laptop through the cat 5 cable. Come on guys in the year 2011!?!?!?!

All in all I would stay here again in a heart beat, and would recommend it for a reasonable, comfortable and nice place to stay. Think Holiday Inn/Hampton not a Hilton and your expectations will be appropriate.

On another note: A taxi from the airport to here should be 100Y. DO NOT GET A PRIVATE CAR. I got ripped off at 400Y which I learned about on the way back to the airport :-( Save some money from my lesson!

Room Tip: No comment here.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Just stayed at this hotel for a week. We had already booked the accomodation and had a voucher which included breakfast for 2 adults. When we checked in they stated that breakfast included meant just breakfast for 1 person. We had an argument about this and after 1 hour the assistant manager came and agreed that the breakfast was for 2 adults.

The room is not very clean and the bathroom was a disgrace, there was black mould in the shower everywhere.

The air conditioning seems to be centrally controlled and was not turned on the whole time, the fan was running but no cooling or heating even though there was temperature controll on the wall.

The breakfast was from 6am until 10am, but after 9am they do not replace anything that runs out. On the 2nd last moring I arrived at 9.15am and there was no butter for the toast and when I asked for some they said it was too late. The fruits had also been all eaten and they did not give any more either.

I would not recommend this hotel as I have stayed in much better hotels at a lower price in Beijing.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed at Prime in March, booked through hotels.com for $190/night. The location was great - right on Wangfujing Street, the most renowned shopping thoroughfare in Beijing, 5 minute walk to market. Two kilometers from Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. The buffet breakfast was good - lots of variety. The gym was big with several treadmills and it was empty - which was great. We enjoyed the pool. Staff was helpful. No issues to report.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

For the location of this place, the price is excellent. Hotels with similar quality in this area cost at least over 200 dollars and we got a room (via priceline) with only the half the price.

The breakfast buffet is wonderful but pricy at the same time (around 15 USD). We also noticed that once past 9am, they don't bring out as many nice items to the buffet as they did around 6am. So get there there early if you truly want to get your money's worth :-)

The room we stayed at had awful cigarette odor at first but we managed to open a window so the smell went away within a couple hours. A basic room is big enough for a family of 4, unless they are all big guys :-)

Some workers at the hotel don't speak English well but others are fluent. If you can't get your problems solved with one person, try to find the next to help. Do your research before the trip to Beijing though since some concierges don't seem to know much about the best restaurants, etc and may make not so great recommendations. If you provide them the correct address and phone number, however, they would be more than happy to call for reservation and a cab.

The hotel is 10 mins walk away from the busy shopping place Wang FU Jing (with crazy night market) and 20 mins of walking to Tian An Men Square/Forbidden City. Taxi drivers can be good or bad. Some will try to rip you off if they see that you are foreigners. We've never had such a problem with the drivers called by the hotel though. The taxi fare between the airport and the hotel should be around 100 yuan only. I didn't know better and paid 180+ yuan when I first arrived. Lessons learned and you should always ask for a receipt and can dispute with the taxi company later if the price was unfair.

We went to a wonderful roast duck restaurant "Beijing Dadong Roast Duck Shop (Nanxin Cang Shop) " . The dishes are unforgettable. There are several Dadongs in Beijing. Make sure you go to Nanxin Cang Shop since that place has the best ambiance. Talk to the concierge and they can make reservations for you.

The hotel offers a few tours in Beijing. We took the one to the Great Wall. The lunch (included with the tour) tasted pretty much like the mall food in the US but the tour guide Wang Hao was not bad (and he was quite funny). We also took another day tour to Xi'an with another company. Again, the lunch was not real Chinese but the tour was fun.

A few places that we highly recommend (other than the must sees such as Summer Palace, ForbiddenCity, and the Great Wall) are: Houhai , Nan Luo Gu Xiang, and Qianmen. Lovely places and the hotel staff had no issues to call for taxi for us.

If your time is limited, avoid Silk Market and Pearl Market. Unless you truly find joy in bargaining, it is a waste of time to talk down the price with the sales girls there. Plus, many are really rude there. For regular souvenirs, you can find much better price at Nan Luo Gu Xiang or Qianmen.

The hotel also brought a birthday cake to our room on my bday, which was a real nice surprise. It was a butter cake with fresh fruits and whipped cream on top and around and coconut flakes all around. Yum yum.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Great room, great view. Stayed at many hotels in China but enjoyed this one the best. Plenty to do within walking distance. Dance after dinner in front of the church with the locals. Very busy back street market just off the main street. Our room was spacious, we had a bath with shower plus free standing shower. Bed was very comfortable and very clean. I felt very safe in the area which is important to me. I had no problem communicating with staff who were courteous and helpful. I would stay there again and I am very happy to recommend it to anyone who is considering staying there. The breakfast buffet was the best I had in my stay in China.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front are noisier but you can watch the world go by and there is a wonderful skylin...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

very good buffet breakfast. the beds were very comfortable. the lobby was huge and had a fountain with flags around it (but no aussie flag!). only cons were nowhere to sit in the lobby (what a waste of space!) and you had to wear a cap in the swimming pool. if you dont have a cap they sell them for 25 yens each.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Prime Hotel? Share your experiences!