“Expensive place for Business due to location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Beijing

You added Shangri-La Hotel Beijing to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.29 Zizhuyuan Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100089, China (Yuanda Road)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Get Back RMB400
Ranked #40 of 5,457 Hotels in Beijing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Expensive place for Business due to location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I cannot complain about the hotel itself. The standard is good. Staff is friendly but :

The location is not central. And this came for me at a price! My business was in central Beijing and I had to take taxis everywhere I would go. Taxis are cheap but traffic is really bad so after working and going to meetings, and spending an average of 1 hour in the taxi I had no energy left to go back to the center.

The hotel is located in the middle of several motorway style roads (see pictures), so you have to get your breakfasts and diners in the hotel. And it is really expensive. The buffet breakfast is 24 British pounds, the diner buffet is 53 pounds in the weekend ( only coke, water or sprite as softs are free).

So think carefully when you book it. There are more central hotels with cheaper food options.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Vice President / General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear christophec638

Thank you for staying at Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing and for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your positive comments about our hotel and staff. At the same time we noted your comments about our location and the price of buffets.

Beijing is a huge city and given the traffic situation, therefore, the selection of location to your place of visit or business is important. Our hotel is located near government offices, academic institutions, Summer Palace, Zoo and Zhongguancun, the Silicon Valley of Beijing. We regret that you were not fully informed of the ala carte options in our All Day Dining restaurant as our 'all you can eat' lobster buffet is indeed priced more than regular buffets in town. Besides, the All Day Dining restaurant, we do have award winning Peking Duck served in our very affordable Chinese restaurant.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Beijing.

Best Regards

Vice President / General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We checked-in at the Shangri-La Beijing for a wedding, since it was also the venue for the wedding itself. I also got to check-in friends.

Check-in took longer than it should, with half the information being communicated. Staff fails to tell you how much is reserved on credit card for incidentals, when/where breakfast is...

Upon check-out, it takes ages to have charges explained. Being on the road few months a year, this is not acceptable for a hotel of this standing.

Poor experience as well with the CHI Cafe. At breakfast, it is pretty full, albeit not something to blame the hotel for. Prefer the lounge on the 12th floor if you have access to it. We tried the buffet for dinner, it is overpriced for China (CNY500+). No beverage were provided, or we were not told/explained. It took three iterations to get a table properly wiped upon seating.

As for the room, we had a suite. It was spotless, but for some reason we ended up in a smoking room. No great for a wedding, we did not bother swapping rooms as we had other things to think about but what was Shangri-La thinking? I could nitpick about the 1-star hotel toy hair dryer provided in the room...

To the hotel's defence, connectivity is working well, and housekeeping is consistent.

I rarely travel to Shangri-La properties, but would only consider if I have no other choices. This experience reaffirmed my perception.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear guiw

I sincerely want to thank you for providing us with valuable information about your stay.

I would like to apologize for the discontentment you experienced during your time with us.
May I invite you to contact me at eric.mommejac@shangri-la.com and provide me with further details so that I can resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Thank you once again for bringing this to my attention.

Voorburg, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Great hotel. Superb rooms and a really good gym and pool. Bit far out of centre - about 45 mins to an hour by taxi Also very good breakfast - everything you need is on offer and the food in the restaurants is also good. If you want a change - try just on the opposite side of the main road. Restaurant covered in wood - what an atmosphere - authentic Chinese - very busy and lively and great food. For 5 of us including beer we spent about 12usd each. Cheaper than the hotel restaurants of course. The hotel just misses a nice bar. Somewhere to relax with colleagues. There are some open spaces and lots of chairs but nothing with the atmosphere of a bar.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Vice President / General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Voorburg133

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing as your accommodation for your business trip to Beijing and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are glad that you have found our guestrooms to be comfortable, enjoyed gym and pool as well as our breakfast in the Cafe Cha. While we do not have a bar type of outlet, our Lobby Lounge is one of the favorites in the city with its wide open space and also live light jazz entertainment. As Spring is upon us, we are excited to re-open our Garden Terrace where our guests can enjoy drinks and food in our beautiful garden.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed in the premier level room and it was the BEST experience we ever had at a hotel! Also,the 12th floor was perfect for relaxing, the food was great, service was even better. I have traveled the world and this is the best experience I have ever had!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear Joe L

Thank you for sharing the glowing comments about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed a memorable time with us. Our Valley Wing Premier rooms along with the complimentary services at the 12/F lounge are indeed a favorite of our many regular guests.

We look forward to having you back with us at the Valley Wing soon.

Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've now stayed several times in Shangri-La Hotel Beijing and each time it is great staying there. The service is without any complaint, the rooms have a decent size and a good working area with WLAN and sufficient power-plugs. Additonally you get several bottles of water for free and each morning you can enjoy an excellent breakfast with everything you can imagine. This includes eggs freshly made as well as bacon and the "regular" breakfast stuff, but you can did into the local cuisine as well having soup or rice for breakfast as well as all kinds of different local specialities. More than you can eat and the good thing is, that it does not get boring even if you are staying several days. I will be back. And I should not forget to mention the restaurant where you can enjoy really good local food and the lobby is great for business meetings. And this trip I saw the first time the blue Beijing Sky (see picture) for one day!

Room Tip: I personally prefer higher floors due to a better view.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Stefan S

Thank you for staying with us again and taking your valuable time to write a review.

It is great to learn that you had an excellent stay and an enjoyable dining experience in our restaurants. We appreciate you sharing with us comments on our hotel and our team, it encourages us to continuously deliver high standards of service, products and facilities.
We noticed that you wrote separate TripAdvisor's post in regards to our renowned roasted Peking Duck at Shang Palace Restaurant, we are proud to share that Shang Palace has been awarded "Best Peking Duck Restaurant" from That’s Beijing publication in end 2014.

If you have chance to visit to Beijing this summer season, I would recommend that you book our guestroom with garden view, I believe this added touch will truly enhance your stay experience. Once again, thank you four your kind compliments as well as sharing photos.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon and if there is anything that would make your future stays more comfortable, please let me know.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have been there for a couple of days and I realized how crowded a place like this can crowded.
Staff is welcoming , rooms are ok.
But the crowd and noise on elevators, restaurants , lobby etc is just too much for me.

Prices are higher then acceptable...
I decided not to go back to this hotel, 4 is coming for the crowd and high prices.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear aho3:

Thank you for providing us with valuable information about your stay.

We value all of the feedback that we receive and I would like to personally look in to your concerns. Please contact me on eric.mommejac@shangri-la.com so that we can discuss this in more detail.

Thank you once again for bringing this to my attention.

With kind regards

Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel is my first time to live,i think that the environment is very good ,and the service also very nice ,but when i enter this hotel ,i have not saw many people,I asked the member of this hotel who explained that because of the goverment ,As you know there is a Anti-corruption atorm in China ,There have a lots official dare not live hotel like this.that all

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Dear Jacky C:

Thank you for choosing to stay at Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing and sharing your comments with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and it is always great to hear from our valued guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Beijing? Share your experiences!