“Good first stop in China” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Beijing

You added The Peninsula Beijing to your Saves list
The Peninsula Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.8 Goldfish Lane, Wangfujing, Beijing 100006, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #53 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Good first stop in China”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

High end centrally located "chain" hotel. Perfect first stop after a long flight from North America. Check in was easy and there are restaurants nearby. Lovely large room with comfortable bed and well appointed bathroom...all the amenities that you would want.
Breakfast buffet was more than plentiful with a nice mixture of Asian and western options.
Very high end boutiques in the lobby and lower level. Not a lot of soft seating areas other than the lobby bar/cafe.
Good value for the quality.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed here April 2014. We arrived late, checked in was quick and hassle free. The problem, our bathroom flooded every time we showered, reported it twice before they did something. Even then, bathroom still flooded each time we showered, very uncomfortable. I won't tolerate this at home let alone in my five star accommodation. The good things, within walking distance of tourist interest; snack street, night market, Wangfujing street, Tiananmen square, Forbidden City and great restaurants. The concierge were fantastic and all staff spoke good English. Breakfast buffet is average for a five star with selection from international and local foods. The gym has limited equipment in my view as I have used it. They have coffee making facility in our room but this was not replaced regularly. We are coffee drinkers and once I asked for it to be replaced the housemaid told me to go to the bar, REDICULUS! I don't want to be walking in my pajamas drinking coffee in the bar. They organised our tour and they were pricey. I found out that it is much cheaper to book tours around Beijing in Tourist shops Wangfujing st. But I'm not sure how good this tours are as we opted for hotel tours as we do not know China. I won't stay in this hotel again, there much better five star hotel offering value.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 1329 if you're given it, unless you want to stand in ankle deep water whil...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed in this hotel between 08-12/Apr for a conference.
Service wise is OK, a little bit slow sometimes.
I was told this hotel was the place to stay whenever you have a business trip right in Beijing.
But not anymore because right down the street you have a Regent Hotel and another one which I cant remember the name but it look like a mini-Paris. It looks pretty good from the inside, not sure about the price. But there is competition.

And the restaurant Li Jing, although they are not bad, but they don't have the speed when you need it. I ordered a sandwich because I need to be fast and I am in a rush. But it took them > 30 minutes to prepare a sandwich. For the record, the restaurant are not even half full.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was our first stop on a month long vacation. The concierge floor was fabulous. We had breakfast there and tea in the afternoon. The spa was relaxing and a necessity for the jet lag.
From walking in the front door and being escorted up to the concierge level to check in to checking out, the staff was lovely, the rooms wonderful , service top notch. Would happily return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Thought service would be second to none here based on price, however it was more like none!

Started with tiny things like nowhere to sit in reception/lobby area, which I thought was very odd. Anyway, the main problem I found was the absolute lack of respect paid to you by the staff. I have stayed in many bargain budget little places where you they treat you with much more courtesy.

When phoning up front desk with straightforward question on the first night after long-haul flight, like where is the Internet cable, I was greeted by rude aggressive operator literally screaming the answer to me as if I shouldn't dare trouble them with such triviality! Unfortunately this was a precursor of much worse to come...

Our rooms were opposite their housekeeping room, and every minute of every hour of every day they slammed the door shut with such ferocity that needless to say we didn't get one moment's peace. When I contacted reception about this, I was advised in no uncertain terms that these were the only interconnecting rooms available for me and my companion...and essentially we had to accept it!

Rude, totally devoid of any guest courtesy or care!

First complaint I've ever written about a hotel in my life - and I've stayed in hundreds, even the cheapest of the cheap!

Avoid!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Despite that it was the first 5 star hotel (by western standard) in Beijing 25 years ago, it retains its charm and quality like other vintage Peninsula Hotels in other cities. Room had been improved over years and were very comfortable and cozy. The indoor swimming pool was lovely and the fitness center was first class. Food quality was good. Breakfast buffet had great varieties but only hope there would be some variations between days as we were there for 6 days and were feeling quite routine. The Chinese restaurant was excellent and we were the only table that night. Given the great selections of food choices in Beijing, it's usually very hard for hotel F&B to compete. However the food was excellent and the staff remained very enthusiastic and friendly regardless of the slow business. Overall service was excellent just as what you would expect from a Peninsula property. The only area that disappointed us was the doorman in the morning shift. This young man had a poker face and was surprisingly not personal and not very attentive in helping guests with taxis. We basically saw this doorman five mornings in a row and he would not greet us or proactively help us and treated us like total strangers. Very not Peninsula. The location is in one of the oldest neighbourhood in the city and remains very local despite there are 4-5 five star hotels on the same road. It is a 10 minute walk to the touristy Wangfujin shopping street and 15 minutes to the upscale Orient Plaza Mall. Forbidden City and Tiananman Square are also not far away.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Trenton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The staff and service at the Beijing Peninsula is fantastic. The staff is helpful and all appear to speak English which is helpful. The rooms and bathrooms are very nice, the lobby is a bit dated. The restaurant and breakfast service are also outstanding. The location is very convenient to the forbidden city and other attractions.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Peninsula Beijing? Share your experiences!