“Stayed Twice in One Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Beijing

Save Saved
You added The Peninsula Beijing to your Saves list
The Peninsula Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.8 Goldfish Lane, Wangfujing, Beijing 100006, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Special Offer
Room Upgrade and Amenity
Ranked #51 of 5,118 hotels in Beijing
Auburn, Washington
“Stayed Twice in One Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice on our post cruise trip in China. The first night we were treated to a huge room with a wall of windows and an office suite. The room was quite large, airy and bright. Two large queen beds were extra comfy with lovely duvets. Nice lovely, soft, huge bath towels and comp slippers. Comp water is in the room and turn down service offers additional. I also appreciated the door bell and do not disturb light light displayed at the door. The large room gets top marks from me. Hint-- there is a tv remote located in the lower media drawer, using the control pad next to the bed is a little awkward.

Breakfast downstairs in the mall is a little strange but the variety served was nicely done. I agree with another reviewer that it is dark in Jing and there is no natural lighting. People who have trouble with steps may find it awkward as you do end up going up a step in different areas of the buffet. They have everything from Asian, American to Euro choices.

The lobby space is indeed shared with high end shopping retailers such as Harry Winston and Channel. I found it to be strange and didn't care for it. I felt that I was in a mall rather than my hotel lobby. The stores were not at all inviting.

On the last two nights of our tour we stayed back at this hotel again. This time we received a much smaller room with two double beds. It was nice but very average and I would compare it to any Marriott in the states. Nice but nothing special. I disagree with the other reviewer who compared it to a Holiday Inn. That's just not true. The air conditioning system worked fine. Controls are on the pad next to the bed. If I were to stay at this hotel again I would prefer the larger room.

On our check out morning our tour guide had arranged with the hotel to provide us with a breakfast box since the restaurant was not open yet. We took it on the plane with us to the envy of all around us including the flight attendants. Nicely done.

Location in the city is excellent. For an evening stroll you can walk down to the "snack market" to try a scorpion or other tasty morsels.

The bell service handled and stored our extra luggage perfectly during our trip.

Room Tip: Go for an upgraded room if available.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

1,056 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The hotel is located at a very good location to explore the city of Beijing and you are not too far from most attractions in the main city. The hotel no doubt enjoyed a marquee position at a certain time and the opulence makes one reminiscent of that. The rooms and bathrooms are of a decent size and have most Normal luxuries you would expect.

However some of the systems and equipments such as the tv, air conditioner, coffee machine, etc need a serious overhaul by the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My son and I recently stayed 2 nights at the Peninsula Hotel, Beijing. I think we were expecting a property similar to the Peninsula in Hong Kong. The exterior was disappointing subway tile that could use a face lift. The lobby and public areas are very nice. We had booked a deluxe room and had received two upgrades. I was expecting a ver nice room. We were told we were on the Club Level without club benefits. The room was very mundane, what you might expect at a Holiday Inn. Bedding was nice, as was service. Just don't expect anything special. Nothing bad, we were anticipating something much nicer.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there are any that are very special
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

It's surprising Peninsula put it's brand on this hotel. It's run down, service not at all what you would expect, and price quite steep compared to value.
Didn't help that the hotel's air con was out of order when we were there either, which they failed to mention at check in. Executive lounge is dilapidated, and service really strange - you won't feel welcome.
Only pros: Amazing concierge service.
On the whole: Forget it

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

What I liked:
- Location: good, within walking distance from major attractions in Beijing
- Big comfy bed
- Well equipped room (amenities, devices...)
- Excellent breakfast

What I didn't like:
- Barthoom very small
- Lounge seems a shopping mall, busy, not relaxing
- Impersonal (nothing in common with Peninsula in Bangkok and Hong Kong, this is a good 'business' hotel)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed at the Peninsula for three nights before the start of a cruise, and I can't fault it at all. I don't understand the bad reports, as our experience was completely different.

After a long journey we arrived at the hotel at about 11.30 am, and were really grateful to find our room was immediately available. The room was excellent, and I have never seen such a well-equipped desk in a hotel room, there was even a small stapler (which was useful to attach our cruise labels). We overlooked a courtyard, which was not picturesque, but perfectly okay. The room was spotless, and not a bit tired looking, as some people have reported.

In the main foyer is a nice coffee area, which also serves afternoon tea. We ate in the restaurant, and I like the concept of having the kitchen open to the main seating area. The food was very good, and we also enjoyed the breakfast contrary to other people's reviews. I have eaten many hotel breakfasts, and this one was as good as most of them, there was good choice, and the Eggs Benedict I ordered was delivered quickly, and was excellent.

The hotel is very well placed for sightseeing, with an easy walk to Tian'an Men Square and the Forbidden City. I'm not a fan of all the designer shops in the hotel foyer, but obviously some people are, and are lucky enough to shop there! We found, without exception, that all hotel staff were courteous and helpful, and we can't fault them at all. I have no hesitation in recommending the Peninsula, Beijing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We are a group of 6 experienced traveler who stayed at Peninsula Beijing. As usual for Peninsula chain, aristocratic senses blossom while you stay there.
Arriving in the hit of the night we have been granted access to the executive lounge for afternoon drinks and socializing. Staff were very attentive, whilst the executive floor staff paid unceiling efforts for our stay to be perfect; thanks to Amanda and her colleagues.

Definitely we recommend this hotel for anyone who wants top notch quality services in the town of Beijing.

Stayed May 2013

Been to The Peninsula Beijing? Share your experiences!