“Good choice in Beijing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Beijing

You added The St. Regis Beijing to your Saves list
The St. Regis Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.21Jianguomenwai Street, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100020, China (Beijing Railway Station / Jianguomen)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #30 of 5,435 Hotels in Beijing
Boca Raton, Florida
“Good choice in Beijing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We recently had the pleasure of staying 6 nites in the St Regis Beijing. We were pleasantly surprised that the hotel was up to 5star standards. The service was excellent as well as the the room and the public spaces. We had no problem with the location since each day we were off to another site. As in all great hotels the Breakfast was perfect and made for a good start to each day. We booked thru AMEX so they had an amenity package which we took full advantage of. The restaurants in the hotel were also very good and we frequented their Chinese restaurant a few times. The Italian restaurant was good but a bit pricey. My only negative was we were 4 traveling and booked 2 suites for four people but the bedding was king in both rooms so my 2 granddaughters wanted separate beds thus we needed a roll-away. i understand if there was another person in the room but did not appreciate them charging me $75 +txs for the roll-away per day. I tried to deal with the manager on duty and he agreed to only charge me for 4 not 6 nites. He seemed very inflexible and nervous to make a proper decision. Despite this minor bump i would not hesitate to give the St Regis a 5 star rating! I have also stayed at the Peninsula 5 times. Barry G.

Room Tip: We were in a suite on the 17 floor room was quiet and very comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
alain_03198, General Manager at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Barry G,

Thank you very much for the nice post you wrote on Tripadvisor following your last stay with your family here at the St. Regis Beijing. It is much appreciated.

The team and I are delighted to read that you had a lovely stay and that you much enjoyed your dining experience at Celestial Court (Chinese restaurant), Danieli (Italian restaurant) as well as Garden Court (buffet breakfast). I also take note of your recommendation regarding the rollaway bed and how the matter was handled. This will help us to improve further on our service delivery, thank you indeed for that.

Many thanks again for staying at The St. Regis Beijing and looking forward to welcoming you back very soon the next time you visit the North China region.

Alain Rigodin - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Service is fast and attentive, rooms are spacious, convenient with a work area and indeed comfortable. Amenities like spa, fitness, coffee areas are very well equipped. Food is average. Many places to visit around at a walking distance and wide choice of restaurants nearby. The hotel remains a big hotel that doesn't offer the charm of a small boutique hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Efelpe2106,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback on Tripadvisor following your last stay here at the St. Regis Beijing.

It is much appreciated. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed what the hotel has to offer and that the premium location helped you to great shopping.

Once again, I thank you for your kind words and do look forward to welcoming you back soon at the St. Regis Beijing.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here in September 2014 for one night and had a very pleasant experience. We are SPG gold members and also booked it through Amex FHR. We were given an upgrade to a junior suite and which we enjoyed a great deal. Very cosy and comfortable. The butler service was excellent and very attentive. Everyone throughout the hotel spoke good English and we were impressed by this, as not every international chain manages to achieve this consistent standard across hotels in China.

We had dinner at the Italian restaurant, which was a fantastic experience. The members of staff were attentive and tried their very best to accommodate our needs. The food was good, but could have been better.

The breakfast selection was excellent. We were impressed by the quality of the offering and it was also impressive to note that even the ladies working at the breakfast cooking stations had a decent command of English. Again, not a common feature across top hotels in China. Overall a solid St Regis property that lived up to our high expectations. I will return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
alain_03198, General Manager at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear HK0210,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comment on Tripadvisor following your last stay in September at The St. Regis Beijing.

Your feedback is much appreciated. It is pleasing to know that you much enjoyed what the St. Regis brand and The St. Regis Beijing has to offer, and in particular our butler service, the breakfast experience and that you had a lovely dinner at Danieli restaurant.

Again thank you for your contribution and being a loyal SPG Gold member and I do look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon the next time you visit Beijing.

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I give top marks to the very well equipped spa and fitness area, free to hotel guests, breakfast Buffett, also free to most guests, and the exceptionally helpful staff. Everyone from from checkin to butler service to concierge service was perfect.

The guest rooms a tad need a bit of updating and the view from some of the rooms isn't that great. Also the "business lounge" for SPG platinum members is ok but a bit cramped so you better get there early and my best tip is sit in the back area for more comfortable seating.

Also being just outside of ring2 makes it very centrally located and I enjoy jogging to tiananmen sq and back for a 6-8 k outing.

Dear rtkidd88,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comment on Tripadvisor following your last here at the St. Regis Beijing. This is much appreciated.

Your feedback is much appreciated. It is pleasing to know that as SPG Platinum member you much enjoyed what the St. Regis brand and The St. Regis Beijing has to offer, and in particular our service, concierge and of course our huge Health Club and indoor pool.
The team and I do look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon. With our best wishes for the holiday season.

Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As a native to Beijing working in overseas and a big fan to the St Regis brand , I have been with this hotel since I started travelling to Beijing for business in2003, and still sticked with it even after 2008 long renovation. I had a lot of special moments and good memories with St Regis Beijing so this hotel is one of my favourite hotels across the world and is having a special meaning in my heart. I just felt this is my home in Beijing

Sadly over my recent several stays, I realised with a great degree of sadness that this hotel is getting tired and losing the St Regis standard gradually.

For example:

1) Inconsistency of house keeping, can you image that the window in your room was still open after turn down service while the room is facing the high street and outside is freezing cold without mentioning PM 2.5 was over 180 at that time. I could not fall asleep until 12.35am when I realised that window was open and I was furious when I found it out

You can still find the hairs of previous guests in the bathroom

2)The staff is lacking of training.

Apparently they started using a lot of trainee which I can undersatnd from the cost saving point of view but you need to protect your brand as well.

Really sad to see so many old staff who once made my previous stays so wonderful and some of the current staff just have no clue on what they are doing

Can you image the staff are playing with their cell phones while they are servicing the clients in the Garden Court restaurant and all of this is happening in a St Regis hotel??

3)Lack of attention to details .
There are several clocks in my suites however all of them were showing the different times. This is also happening on the treadmills in the gym.

This is not a major issue but it should not happen in a St Regis property.

4)Incapability of Sr management

I found that there is a new GM in place probably in the 2nd half of 2014probably. Not to disrespect him, I think he is running this lovely hotel which made me really sad.

He recently changed the layout of the lovely Garden Court which is low looks like a fast food restaurant. He put many more seat to some extent which I can standard but now Garden Court likes a bazar.

The elegant white tablecloth has been removed with the replacement of cheap plastic cover which might be a Sheraton or Westin standard but definitely NOT up for St Regis Standard. The even worse thing is a lot of scars or stains on the old table which could be coverd by the tablecloth ,are now shown vividly to the paying customers. You can see some tables are in a shaky condition.

Also he asked to replace all the loverly silver cutlery with the cheap stainless steel ones which is just out of imagination.

Every time I am having meals in either Deneil’s or Garden Court, I always see this GM having the lunch with his family or friend on whichI have a big question mark on this. Especially on 31st Dec, 2014, when I wanted to have a quite buffet lunch with my wife , we are constantly being disturbed by loud noise and big laughs from one table very far from us. We look at it and relaised that it appeared that GM was having lunch with his family. It is a public place and you can not do what ever you want to do and you need take consideration to other persons even you are in charge of this place.

From the staff I knew well , I gathered that St Regis Beijing has started losing a lot of loyal customers since this GM’s arrival not mentioning the fierce competition among so many luxury hotels and also I can see the team morale is very low out there

I felt very emotional on what I have experienced and seen especially in the past two months. You can see the ranking on the trip adviosr has been dropped dramatically. It was among top 10 but now even not top 20 which is pathetic to me. I really hope St Regis Beijing can mantian its edge and keep the title “ the best hotel in Beijing” I do not want St Regis Beijing to become another St Regis Shanghai which has been downgraded to SPG 3 from SPG5.

Dear Chen D,

Greetings from the St. Regis Beijing.

As you may have concluded, my name is Alain Rigodin and I am the current General Manager of this fine property.

I read your feedback on trip advisor, and so first and foremost, I thank you for taking the time and effort to write about your most recent stay with us. It had been a habitual practice over the recent years for me to personally respond, on behalf of my team, to the feedback, both positive and negative, we may receive. We do regret that you experienced the dissatisfaction that you did and will surely progress in monitoring some of the valid points you have generously and anonymously shared. We do refer to trip advisor, among various other channels, to allow us to better our guest experiences as a leading luxury hotel known for executing quality and excellence as indeed, we are not perfect.

For betterment, however, change does take its significant role of impact; be it through different opportunities for our dedicated employees, or a rearrangement in public space. Throughout our diverse and welcomed clientele here at the St. Regis Beijing, there are certainly a share that have a take more for change and (understandably) the much smaller share that leans further against it. The selective changes you have observantly made note of have been pursued following some careful period of consideration; although certain materials, and objects may appear to hold greater monetary value in its previous way of presentation, it was decided that there were stronger ways of adhering to the more environmental friendly and green global image, value and standards that we are encouraging.

You, of course as for all our valuable guests, surely entitled to your opinions and as your feedback was partially in reference to the repositioning and inconsistencies of certain previous practices, we encourage and welcome your professional sharing. It goes beyond the rating supplied with the comments; the feedback and comments, if genuine, act as very important tools that guide us in the continuous journey of improvement. If genuine. Some of your comment, unfortunately, was incorrect, unfair and quite misleading to the community that shares your opportune ability to give feedback to this industry. Comments and feedback that are not genuine go beyond the purpose that third party channels, such as Trip Advisor, offer. This abuse redirects the focus to something that is simply not.

Some portion of your message strayed beyond the image of the property, the brand and for those in particular I would have only wish to be contacted directly as to allow for the opportunity of meeting and immediately addressing a concern one of my guests may hold. Should you have a desire to pursue this strand of communication, allow me to welcome you back and, if your time permits, offer you a beverage or a lunch over which this conversation may gladly continue to take place in person.

Yours sincerely,

seattle,wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I recently returned from a business trip from Beijing and highly recommend this hotel. On occasion you will even find that prices for this 5 star hotel can be very reasonable so it's worth checking out. The service is impeccable and the rooms are spacious. I was upgraded to a suite and it wasn't lacking anything (even a floor butler who could take care of anything you needed) The location is on a quiet street, but centrally located near a nice mall, lots of food, within walking distance to the Silk Road Market, and a subway station that will take you to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square (or you can do a long walk there as well). Room service is speedy, reasonably priced for a 5 star hotel and everything tasted great. I highly recommend the Peking Duck restaurant that is nearby (just a 5-10 minute walk). My suite had a large separate shower, tub in the bathroom with tv, separate living room with desk, sofa, tv, a bedroom with a small walk in closet and vanity area. Everything is very clean, organized, well kept and the staff was helpful and friendly. Getting a taxi during rush hour can take some time so I highly recommend taking the subway or walking.

Dear Seetheworld26,

Thank you very much for the nice post you wrote on Tripadvisor following your first stay here at the St. Regis Beijing. It is much appreciated.

The team and I are delighted to read that you had a lovely stay and that you were able to enjoy the service provided by our Butler as well as the great location of the hotel.

Wishing you and your family our best wishes for the holiday season

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2014

The St. Regis Beijing is a great hotel with an amazing staff. I lost my iPhone: they found it. I needed directions: they provided them. Speaking no Mandarin and in town for a brutal week of client meetings, I don't think I could've survived without the substantial assistance that the St. Regis provided so graciously and consistently. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
alain_03198, General Manager at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Em_from_DC,

I am also pleased to read that you had a lovely stay and that we were able to help you to find your Iphone :) 

The team and I do look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Beijing.

Kindest regards.

Alain Rigodin - General Manager

Been to The St. Regis Beijing? Share your experiences!