“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Beijing

You added The St. Regis Beijing to your Saves list
The St. Regis Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.21Jianguomenwai Street, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100020, China (Beijing Railway Station / Jianguomen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #36 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
new york
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great hotel. Amazing 75 foot pool and nice gym. Nice rooms. Great happy hour 6-7pm with free drinks and food.
The concierge was extremely helpful. Super near subway so easy to get to sights on the subway and avoid the Beijing traffic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, October 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor website.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and glad to hear that you are satisfied with our service and facilities.

It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The St Regis Beijing Hotel is wonderful. The room was gorgeous and spacious. The service was quick when we ordered coffee or tea to the room which is complimentary. The Happy Hour was in a beautiful bar and served house wines and beer and some food which was also included. My favorite amenity at the hotel was the Hot Spring pools. There are 3 natural Hot Spring Pools at the spa. Two are hot and one is cold. This was a great way to refresh after a grueling day dealing with Beijing smog and traffic. I did have a problem taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel. The taxi drivers speak NO English so make sure you have the Chinese name of the hotel. Beware, at the airport there are unofficial taxi drivers that will take you to the hotel for 500 to 700 RMB instead of 100 RMB.. Make sure there is a "B" in the taxi license plate. Also, the hotel was recently changed to a St Regis so most taxi drivers don't know where this hotel is located. You can walk to the Silk Market for some cheap clothing but be prepared to negotiate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, October 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor website.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and glad to hear that you are satisfied with our service and Spa facilities.

Cape Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I am currently staying at this hotel over a five day period.
I was expecting many things from the St Regis brand, but sadly, it has been an underwhelming experience. See points below:
-I arrived late, close to midnight, and there was no staff manning the main entrance, no one to say 'welcome' or to help me with my luggage. I guess given the lateness of the hour this might be understandable... but I think this is one of the rare times that has happened to me at a highly rate hotel. I've never had this experience at the Fairmont, where I usually stay.
-Rooms are nice and comfy but nothing to brag about. I have gotten quite used to the Fairmont, so compared to that, the St Regis bathroom in the normal deluxe room is small, with barely any countertop space for cosmetics and toiletries. Wardrobe is also very small and I didn't have space to hang up all my clothes. The bed is comfortable and I love that they have a pillow menu. Also have to mention that amenities are comprehensive and fairly lux.
-No full length mirror in room, which is a bit of a pain.
-'Do not disturb' light doesn't work in my room
-Ticked boxes for daily newspapers upon check in, but have yet to see any of these delivered the last two days.
- The fitness center is located some distance away (had to rethink schlepping around the main lobby in my bathrobe with my swimmers underneath) but has a decent gym and a very very nice and big pool. Great for doing laps.
-Wanted to do some morning yoga at the studio within the gym but was told I couldn't wear flip flops, even though I wasn't going to use any gym equipment -- all i wanted was to pass through to the studio.

The hotel does have what it calls a 24 hour butler service, which includes complimentary pressing for some garments, tea and coffee delivery any time of day and access to the wine bar every evening. These are some nice perks but overall, I haven't really been blown away by my experience so far.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear ceres_8,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor.
We are very pleased to read your experiences and observations on your current stay with us.

Please be assured that we will work hard to enhance our service deliveries to an even higher level.

As we understand you are current residing with us, would you please connect with us on beijing.butler@stregis.com so we can reach out to you more personally.

Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I usually stay at either of the 2 Westin hotels in Beijing, prefer the Financial Street location. I really like those hotels. This time I thought I'd go one step better and get the St Regis. I had just spent several nights in the St Regis in Aspen, Colorado, so my anticipation level was high.
The hotel Audi took me to the hotel. Looked rather ordinary from the outside. Inside there was a lot of marble and large common areas but nothing outstanding. I got a nice suite which was plenty big for me. I am sure the furniture was good quality but the whole suite decoration was something I think my grandparents would have liked. To me the style was old and uninspiring.
The bed however was FANTASTIC! It was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in with the most luxurious linens I have had in any hotel. Only negative with the bedroom was there was a smoke detector with a light that blinked every thirty seconds or so. In a completely dark room a small blinking light can become very irritating. The ceiling was tall so no way I could block the blinking light.
In the morning I went looking for the Club Room to have breakfast only to find there is no Club Room (at least not that I was told of when I asked). That was another disappointment. The hotel does however have a very substantial breakfast buffet in the main restaurant. In the evening there was a happy hour with free food and drinks from 6 to 7 pm (I believe) in the hotel bar. Didn't compare very favorably to the Westin Club Room experience for breakfast and evening snacks and drinks.
The gym is in an adjacent building with an indoor walkway in between. Very nice and large gym with great equipment and enormous pool area. Well done.
The St Regis was within walking distance from most places I needed to go in Beijing which was great. The times I did need a taxi was a big problem though. There are no taxis waiting outside the St Regis and the guy at the front door has to go over to the street and try to hail a cab same as I can do myself. Except that very few taxis are available or seem to want to stop there. At the Westin there is always a line of taxis waiting. Another minus for St Regis.
On a positive note, there is a good Starbucks across the street.
Perhaps I'm being a bit tough on the hotel, I was not sure whether to give it a 3 or a 4 rating. It is of course a very nice hotel. And the people go out of their way to provide excellent service that was prompt, courteous and friendly. The bed is fantastic and the location great. If you like what I consider "old" style decoration you will like that too but I don't, I prefer light wood, steel and glass. If this had been a Sheraton (with a Sheraton price) I would have given it a 4 or 5. But it isn't. It is a St Regis and it is just not special enough for that. Next time I will go back to the Westin.

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms without a blinking smoke detector immediately over the bed.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and detailed opinions about your recent stay here at The St. Regis Beijing.

Our hotel prides itself on providing bespoke services, and when things do go wrong we rectify them immediately.

Please be assured that your opinions are taken very seriously and we will take the necessary measures to do an internal follow up and ensure that issue you mentioned doesn’t happen in the future.

We will be ensuring that your profile is updated and that your stays from now will be everything you would expect and more.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcome you in near future.

Everett, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here for business. Upon arrival at the airport, i took a taxi to the hotel. The taxi driver did not know where the hotel was located and I had to call the hotel to direct him there. Even with their instructions the taxi driver dropped me off 2 blocks from the hotel. Not a good start to my night but it all turned away when i checked in. With my platinum status at SPG, i was upgraded to their presidential suite YAY! This room was way too big for just one person but it was amazing. This is by far the best room i ever stayed in, just too bad my wife wasnt with me to enjoy it. I only stayed for a few nights and did not use much of the hotel's amenities. The location for the hotel was pretty good and it was within walking distance to the silk market.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Beijing
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I am a member at the St Regis. Beijing, and I've stayed at this hotel many times during my time in Beijing also, about more than 12 times I believe. (4 people in my family are also st Regis members for at least 7 years) I've been a member there for 11 years already and I'm also a Starwood preferred guest, and I had the luxury of staying at other Starwood hotels in the United States, Japan and Hong Kong. My family also usually chooses this hotel to have our close family members stay at as well as our business partners because of its great location near all the in city sites.

My unfortunate experience:

This hotel usually has really good management but for some reason the people at the gym holds double standards.

I just finished taking a shower when I saw my pregnant wife being reprimanded, finger pointed at and was backed into a corner by two of the gym staff.

They were yelling at her for taking four bottles of water. I immediately stepped in to defend her.

When I started to raise my voice the manager there named Lucy told me to shut up, and after threatened to call her duty manager on me. She made it seem as if we were in pre school like if she was going to tell on me.

I waited for her manager to come but after waiting for 20 minutes she couldn't call through to the manager. I told her I would come the next day to talk to the manager.

The next day, I went to the gym to meet with her foreign manager. Who was really nice and great and definitely holds the standards of a St Regis. The main thing we talked about was to hold consistency about their standards of how they treat people.

However, the manager of the gyms tone, Lucy, changed immediately once seeing her manager. Instead of just saying you and talking to me in a very demeaning tone the day before, she actually smiled and used the polite form of you "nin" the first time in 11 years.

Another shocking thing was she called hotel security to oversee this talk. Which was really uncomfortable to have a nice talk about the issues of the hotel with the Director of Rooms. In the past I've only see the hotel security used a few times and it has always been about throwing people out of the hotel. Really felt more like a criminal than a customer during that meeting because of that.

Anyways, this hotels is great to stay at if you are in Beijing and you don't speak any English. The pathway to the main entrance of the St Regis is under construction which has caused a massive car in-congestion when you are trying to leave their parking lot.

My experience at the St Regis was a horrible one but if you look foreign or you look the part of a wealthy middle aged man, woman. You will be getting the great service of a 5 star hotel. If you are a young married couple then there is a chance you might not get the 5 star treatment. I go frequently to use the gym there and occasionally eat there, so I guess my chance of running into these problems with poor management are much higher than most people who just stay at this hotel for a few days.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your reply and the hotel management are looking into this situation.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

upon arrival at the hotel, room was not ready even thought it was 2pm, however manager on duty decided to upgrade us and give us a bigger room. the rooms are clean and exactly what a 5 star hotel should be like. breakfast here is excellent. the swimming pool and gym is top notch as well

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on (TripAdvisor website.

Best regards

Been to The St. Regis Beijing? Share your experiences!