“Typical Sheraton Experience...With a Beijing Twist” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel

You added The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel to your Saves list
The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.10 Dongsanhuan North Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100026, China (Yansha)   |
Ranked #511 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Milpitas, California
“Typical Sheraton Experience...With a Beijing Twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The hotel lived up to the usual expectations from a Sheraton family hotel. All the amenities were very satisfactory, but they all had a little peculiar touch to them which I attribute to Beijing.

The gym was very good indeed, and the towel service was excellent. The sauna was where I noticed some differences. The heat setting labels on the door did not seem to rhyme with the experience inside the rooms. Without exception, I found them all to be warmer than expected. I asked the guy at the counter, and he said something in limited English to give me the impression of almost being called a 'wuss'.

Simiilarly the breakfast afterwards was a very good buffet of all the usual choices, western as well as Asian. But the pepper on the table tasted quite different than the usual ground black pepper. Somehow it reminded me of the white pepper found on East Malaysian islands. The eggs too had a different taste to them, not bad but definitely different. And when all the stories about melamine in milk powder start popping in my mind, I quickly lost the appetite created by my workout.

Room was very good, with the bed and linens perfectly done. I enjoyed my sleep for all of my weeklong stay. But the bathroom smelt strongly of some kind of cleaning supply, it was a sweet foodie/floral smell of some kind. I am sure it was meant to make the bathroom feel welcome, but the strength was too industrial which made it seem very synthetic and thus mildly repulsive to me.

The highlight of my stay was actually outside the hotel. The Sichuan restaurant in the alley behind the hotel was a fantastic find. They didn't speak much English, and were endlessly amused by my attempts to convey what I wanted in my limited Mandarin. But they went out of their way to provide me with a Sichuan pepper chicken, and get this 'Skinless and Boneless' version of it at that. And man, did it hit it out of the park! I would go to this place again, even if I was staying in the opposite corner of Beijing.

One lowlight was the lurking suspicious characters in the frontyard of the building right across from the hotel. I can only guess what they were upto but as long as I stayed on the straight course from hotel to the convenience store and back, they left me pretty much alone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

As a platinum member I was updgraded to a room with access to the club lounge which in my opinion was one of the best lounges I have been to at the Sheratons worldwide, great snacks, great beverages and great service.

The hotel indeed needs some update but again nothing that was awful was seen around the public areas, breakfast both at the lounge and downstairs were great and the lobby area bar service was excellent.

The only issue I had was at shower in my room which was clogged and really got me a little upset but my fault for not taking the time to go to the front desk and tell them to change me to another room, just didnt have time to deal with it.

Room Tip: Book the club lounge rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Fairfax Station, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We booked two adjoining rooms for our family, 2 adults, three kids. The rooms were very dated, but their wasn't a smoke smell, so at least it had that going for it. Breakfast was included and was ok, a few of the items were really good. Made to order omelets and some cheese pastry they had under a heat lamp was exceptional. The made to order soup was a little bland. We ordered room service on night, it was expensive and the person who took our order barely spoke English and got our order wrong. At first he said we could keep the food when he delivered and then came back two minutes latter and said that he had to take it. It took the full 30 minutes to arrive and we didn't have time to wait for the correct order nor trusted that he would get it right the second time. We also ordered a bacon cheese burger and they forgot both the cheese and bacon. When we checked out it took 30 minutes since they screwed up my room bill and tried to charge me an extra $100 USD. They also ensured me that I would get the credit for both rooms which I did not. I had to file a missing stay credit with SPG to get the credit. Also, when I checked in I asked about an SPG lounge and they said that they didn't have one, but I see on TA that I guess they do have one. It was close to the airport, so we made it in 10-15 min, not much traffic.The management staff need to improve their English Speaking staff and update their hotel rooms.

Room Tip: Connecting rooms are good for a large family, a little on the small size but adequate.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This hotel is quite nice, but comparing to other Sheraton's lacks organization and excellence training. Some staff speak English - most know just a few 'tourist' or 'business' words. Keep your dictionary handy if you do not speak Mandarin.
A bit dated - and pricey.
Breakfast buffet for Elite is quite limited.

My room was nice- but ill-conceived layout 3 doors in the bathroom - all conflicting with each other - had to get into the bathtub to turn the taps on.... etc.

I would stay again because of the brand.

Room Tip: try and get either west or east facing - would be brighter
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The hotel is in a convenient location on the outer ring of Beijing and yet close to the airport by taxi. The subway to downtown is frequent and convenient (3 minutes walk) and the ride to Tianamen Square was about 20 minutes. The subway is clean and efficient.

The hotel is a typically beautiful luxury hotel by Asian standards. Pay the extra to have Club access as with all Asian hotels. It pays itself many time over if you have cocktails... The suite was gorgeous and the view were typical of Beijing. Smoggy, and urban sprawl and new high rises as far as the eye can see... There is nothing to complain about and there is nothing short.

Room Tip: On a clear day, I am sure the higher rooms have better views... On a clear day.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
france
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Convenient location. Nice atmosphere and confortable rooms. Good bathroom. Great and plentiful breakfast buffet. Restaurant on the 21st floor features an outstanding Peking duck. Easy ride to most places.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

The decor in the place must be the original, when we walked in we had wondered if we had actually arrived at a Sheraton or not! dark and overly ornate.
We chose an elite suite room, as it was the only one with wifi in the room, and as we were working we needed it, disappointing it's not throughout the hotel.
The food in the club suite was quite disappointing, the "hot" breakfast was cold when it was brought out (we were there at 6am) no ability to toast your toast, and not chef to cook you fresh eggs (we went downstairs to the restaurant for fresh eggs) the afternoon tea was also sparse and disappointing.
The pool…. OMG… taking one look at it, and I didn't even go it, It was concrete with LOTS of rust stains showing though (plus the dated decor) in my opinion completely unusable, certainly not the relax need after a long day.
Paying the premium price for the elite room, and getting food, service and amenities that are sub par was extremely disappointing.
The staff were kind an polite, that the only thing this sheraton has going for them

Room Tip: I would still choose an elite floor again, the rooms had been updated "recently" and bette...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel? Share your experiences!