“Great location for public transport, run down hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center

You added Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center to your Saves list
Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.2 Chaoyangmen Beidajie, Beijing 100027, China (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #120 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location for public transport, run down hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel is just outside a metro station - perfect, if you opt for public transport. If you travel from the airport by train, it means only one change.
The service was very nice and helpful. Check in was smooth and quick. I was upgraded to a club room for free.
The room itself was spacious with an amazingly comfortable bed. The furniture is slightly run down though. The carpet was old and not inviting to walk barefoot on. Windows did not keep the cold and noise out. With -16C outside I kept the curtains closed and aircon on highest temperature to keep warm.
The bathroom was clean and good quality, though it had the shallowest bathtub I have ever seen. Forget a nice soak after a day of meetings or sightseeing.
Overall it was a good stay, but far from 5* standard I received in other hotels in the regions. To be fair, the price reflected it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
SwissotelBeijingMgnt, Manager at Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Dori111,

Thank you very much for taking the time to express your candid feedback. It is important for us as it allows us to improve in order to serve you better. As you commented, Swissotel Beijing enjoys its premier location and great accessibility to both airport and downtown. Meanwhile, we thank you for your kind words on the staff service that we ourselves are most proud of.

You may also be interested to learn that the hotel ownership is rolling out a refurbishment for guest rooms. I would take pleasure in welcoming you back after our refurbishment is completed by the end of year so that you could experience the hotel as it was meant to be. Please feel free to contact me directly via jason.wang@swissotel.com if you are travelling to Beijing again so that I am able to personally look into your accommodation details.

Once again, thank you for staying with us at Swissotel Beijing and looking forward to your continuous support in the future.

Quality Manager
on behalf of Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kolkata
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

In the end I paid RMB 988 (appx $ 160) for one night stay. The breakfast was RMB 198 , I had to pay extra for Internet Cable Connection (RMB 18 / hr ( $ 2.90/ hr) . The furniture was in no way modern, the lobby was average . I would probably get a better deal in some other hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SwissotelBeijingMgnt, Manager at Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Mr. Kiran Nair,

Thank you for taking the time to express your candid feedback. We regret that we fail to impress you with our swiss hospitality for the last stay. You are right that the hotel has been opening for last 22 years and we are ready for another refurbishment. Meanwhile, we are constantly looking into the training for the entire team to ensure the service standards at the highest possible level at all times. That is why I wish to ask that you allow us another chance to demonstrate to you that we can make it right.

Should your busy travel plan brings you back to Beijing in the near future, please do advise me directly at jason.wang@swissotel.com so that I may be able to personally attend to your reservation details, ensuring the highest levels of service during the stay.

Thank you once again for your patronage to Swissôtel Beijing. Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Quality Manager
Bern
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Lets get things straight, the hotel does it's job. Not more, not less.

Now, for a more detailed review: Checkin and checkout went smooth, they tried to DCC, but could eventually do it in Chinese Yuan (good, not all hotels in China can do that, saves you about 3% in exchange fees), there is free Wifi in the lobby area, and the public transport is right in front of the hotel.

Surroundings are also pretty good, supermarket across the road, several restaurants nearby which offer good food for fair prices, the "outgoing" area is about 10 minutes by foot away, and there is a subway station right in front of the hotel. The airport express is also just 1 subway stop from the hotel, so it's very convenient to get from/to the airport.

Now, the rooms aren't very modern, old-style bathroom, the windows are very badly isolated (you will notice this on a cold winter day! Or a hot summer day too, I've to assume) and the aircon/heating system isn't very modern either. But the bed is comfy enough, and I found plenty of sleep.

You get value for money here, it's not 5* but a 4* slightly aged. Would I come here again? Yes, probably, but not in winter or summer. For a quick Beijing trip in spring or autumn, this really is a good place, but the limited heating and cooling in the rooms will keep me away from booking it during the cold and hot season.

All in all, a good place in Bejing, just don't expect too much. You don't pay too much for it, either.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in details. We are very glad to learn that you had enjoyed your trip to Beijing as well as your stay with us mostly. You are right, we are ready for a refurbishment since Swissôtel Beijing has been opening for 22 years as one of the first 5-star hotels in Beijing. I would take pleasure in welcoming you back after our refurbishment is completed by the end of the year so that you could experience the hotel as it was meant to be. Please contact me directly at jason.wang@swissotel.com if you are coming to Beijing so that I may be able to take care of your stay.

Once again, thank you for staying with us at Swissôtel Beijing. Wishing you a healthy, prosperous and successful year of Snake.

Madrid
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed five nights and we found the hotel conveniently located. It was hard to reach form the airport, though.

Subway station right at the door which made things easy, eversince cab drivers are sometimes hard to deal with.

A former 90's five-star-hotel has a rather cheap feel now. Cleanliness of the rooms is not at it's best, furniture and decor are a weak point too.

All in all, makes a decent place to stay in Beijing within a medium/high budget range. Extras don't come cheap, such as breakfast and in room wi-fi.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Swissotel chain is one of my favorite places to stay on business. They generally had the best amenities for the business traveler. When I was working on a group project in Shanghai I put part of our group in Swissotel Shanghai and everyone loved it. Eventually the rest of the group wanted to be moved into the Swissotel also.

Based on that experience of course I wanted to stay at the Swissotel when I went to Beijing this month (plus Tripadvisor has a Very Good rating). I was quoted 750 RMB/night for a Grand Room, which was comparable to the Hotels.com advertised rate of 744 RMB.

When I arrived, they couldn't find my reservation. They called the vacationing sales agent who I talked to originally and had to rebook me. They told me they'll put me in the best available room. When I moved into the room I realized it had much less amenities and was smaller than what I was expecting. As turned out I was put in a Classic Room (meaning most basic and 481 RMB on Hotels.com) but at the same 750 RMB rate! I complained to the sales staff but I was repeatedly told that was the best available rate for the best available room, even though I can show them the Hotels.com listing. When I called anonymously later they also quoted me a lower rate of 500 RMB for the same nights. This is just patently fraudulent.

Eventually the sales manager promised to upgrade me to a suite on my NEXT stay, He said he will email me to confirm his offer. I have yet to receive this email. It's pretty obvious this hotel will say anything to get you in the door or off their backs without ever intending to honor their promises.

Buyer beware and stay away!

Room Tip: If you are not given the room as promised, do not compromise. Demand an immediate change either in...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I definitely recommend Swissotel Beijing to other travellers.

Firstly, Excellent value for money though i think breakfast is over-priced. I advise for you not to take it. Just eat elsewhere. Secondly, Service was excellent. All the staff I encountered were able to understand and speak English. They were kind enough to give us an early check-in. I am a hotelier and i know it is a bonus and we are very thankful. Concierge was able to answer and recommend restaurants, shopping places, etc. They recommended an absolutely wonderful restaurant that serves EXCELLENT Peking duck! (Dadong Roast Duck Restaurant). It was few blocks away from the hotel. Thirdly, Convenient Location. It was literally right outside the train station. It was very accessible to everywhere we wanted to go. Also, there is a small strip of restaurants right outside the hotel. Facing the main hotel entrance, it will be the street in the left side. I also recommend those restaurants. Pricing is average and service was also good. The hotel may not be as new or as grand as others, but you will find all that you need here.

All in all, our stay at Swissotel was fantastic! Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the one facing the ring area. Better view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

It is really very good hotel, you can go whenever you want because the subway station is almost inside their and you can go shopping in a walk distance. The only thing that I don't like was the Internet wifi! Only at lobby and so slow

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center? Share your experiences!