“NOvotel XinQiao Beijing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Xinqiao Beijing

Save Saved
You added Novotel Xinqiao Beijing to your Saves list
Novotel Xinqiao Beijing
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Chongwenmen Xi Da Jie, Beijing 100005, China (Chongwenmen)   |
Ranked #135 of 5,123 hotels in Beijing
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“NOvotel XinQiao Beijing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Location is super strategic - less than 50 steps to subway train, bus stand and taxi is available 24hrs easily.

Breakfast - variety and wide choices ranging from american breakfast + local chinese food + Salad + Fruits.

Cafeteria and banquet staff are friendly and very care about customer's need.
While counter staff - i has less happy experience with Ms Melody who has no customer to serve but still make me waited 5 min just to get a duplicate room key.

Overall, the room is clean, amenties are great ranging from tooth brush, paste, hand soap and even a Condom! Towels are change daily regardless i hung it on hanger in cabinet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
DennisOldfield, General Manager at Novotel Xinqiao Beijing, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the very postive comments about the hotel and in particluar our great location. It is a great plus for us.
I apologise for the fact that Melody did not provide the warm service expected of our reception staff and we are making sure that she recieves further training on the importance of guest interaction and a postive guest experience.
I will be certain to pass your compliments to our restaurtant staff as this will serve as good motivation for them. Aagin thank you for your time in providing your feedback. Regards - Dennis Oldfield.

1,727 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Traveled to Beijing after taking an overnight train from Xi'An and arrived at the hotel early in the morning.

The hotel staff was kind enough to allow us to check-in early, but emphasized that there was only 4 superior rooms with king size beds, and unfortunately they were on the smoking floors (I don't smoke). As such, we opted to stay in a standard room with 2 single beds, not the most ideal, but at least the rooms were clean, tidy and quiet.

Location-wise, it was a good location since the subway station was just right at its doorstep and that it was near major tourist sites.

Similar to my previous experience in Xi'An, I noticed that the Accor Le Club Priority Desk was not always manned, and that there was no difference whether you were a Le Club member or not. This was a tad bit disappointing as a corporate member and business traveler, it would be nice to have access to such services, else why would one be willing to pay/sign up for the corporate memberships?

In terms of service quality, it was a mixed bag as I had my fair share of warm friendly staff and not-so-patient ones. Granted that it was the week where the 18th People Congress was being held and there were plenty of guests at the hotel (corporate and tourists), yet there could be better handled.

For example: I was trying to ask a male counter staff on issues with access the internet with the wired LAN cable, WIFI on my laptop wasn't working and I needed a LAN connection in order to access work emails. As I conversed with him in Chinese, the counter staff wasn't paying attention to my question, focusing on his paperwork below repeating a flat answer "LAN connection will work fine, just use it". One can't help but feel being brushed aside and I felt a little offended.

However, I must commend the supervisors as they have demonstrated excellent customer service, paying close attention to my needs. In the same example, after I left the front office desk looking frustrated, a supervisor Mr Bob Chen saw me and immediately queried if there was anything he could do. After I explained to him on my issue on the LAN connection in my room, he advised how I could resolve it and offered to contact the technical service to check out my room if all was in order. He also went further to explain how best to connect given that corporate laptops would require a VPN connection, something that I appreciated a lot.

Overall, an average experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedabck as it serves as an excellent opportunity to know what we do well and where we can improve. I am sorry that some of our staff lacked the service standards that both the hotel and our guests expect. I have personally shared your comments with our front office manager so that he can address them with all of our front desk team to ensure we deliver consistent service.
I have also passed your very postitve comments to our supervisors, and in particular Bob Chen, who was delighted to recieve such public praise.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Beijing Xinqiao. Rgards - Dennis Oldfield.
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

First time in Beijing, I am happy with Novotel Xinqiao. The hotel is a little bit outdated, but the location is quite central. Two subway lines right outside its doorstep took me straight to Forbidden city and Tiananmen Square. I stay at premiere room at 12nd floor. Check-in counter is also at the same floor. Room is surprisingly very basic but clean. The buffet for breakfast is ok with a variety including fresh fruit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback and I am delighted to advise that we will be commencing a renovation of our Premier floor guestrooms in early 2013 followed by further changes in other rooms during the year. Regards - Dennis Oldfield.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

1. Location: Can you manage a 1 min walk? If so, it'll get you to the subway station (Chongwenmen). Furthermore, the hotel itself is quite central, and a 20 mins or so walk to the Forbidden City (the geographical center of town).

2. Value for money: Hotel is probably a bit cleaner and less shopworn than some of the other hotels in the area. But roughly the same price.

3. Variety of features which, to me, seem to be more important to the average Westerner: softish beds (not the concrete slabs you might find in hotels catering mainly to Chinese guests); rooms seemed to genuinely be non-smoking (no lingering smells); aircon worked quite well; good English from many of the staff.

4. If it matters to you, the fitness center is reasonable. Will get the job done, in a pinch.

Note: The taxi drivers in Beijing will NOT know what you're talking about if you say, or show them in English writing: "Novotel Xin Qiao". Better to have it written down in Chinese to show the driver if you're planning to take a taxi there.

Of course, if the subway will work for you, just go to Chongwenmen station, Exit A, and you'll be there.

p.s. here's the name of this hotel, written in Chinese: 北京新侨诺富特饭店

Room Tip: Took the less expensive, "no window", room. Was worried it might be claustrophobic, bit i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for the tips on the hotel. I might add that for Taxis if you refer to the hotel as Xinqiao Fandian (phonetically pronounced as Shin Chow Fun Dien) taxi drivers (especially the older ones) have a better understanding.
Also the subway, which is directly in front of the hotel, is an easy and cost effective way to cross the city. Each ticket is only RMB2 (approx. 30 US cents) and can take you from one side of the city to the other. As an example a return journey to the Summer Palace from the hotel is only RMB4 and tickets are easy to purchase at the staion and there are signs in Englis as well as Chinese. This must be one of the cheapest public transportation options in a capital city globally. Regards - Dennis Oldfield.
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I am a regular Novotel customer. I love their hotels anywhere in the world. They offer the best value for money. This one is no different. Great location. Good Service. Clean and comfortable rooms and bathrooms. Everything is as per its right price and that is what I love about Novotel. This is my 2nd time staying in this particular hotel and I do feel their breakfast needs an upgrade. The variety is less. Choice in the buffet breakfast lacks some creativity. They probably need to put some Indian dish there. Or something with gravy like Chicken curry or something like that. All options are kind of dry. Everything is great except the breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback as it is greatly appreciated. My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed the Novotel standard of service however I have passed your comments on the breakfast to our Food and Beverage manager and chef to review our breakfast menus. We understand that for many people breakfast is an extremely imporant start to the day and we will look at how we can improve our offer to guests.
I will also pass your positive comments to our housekeeping team as they are a great motivation for a hard working group of employees. Again many thanks and regards - Dennis Oldfield.
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

With not one, but two subway lines right outside its doorstep, as well as a bus and taxi stand, this hotel is indeed a freestyling tourist's top choice. Of course if all your sightseeing is booked with a tourgroup, this won't matter much since they'll be picking you up from your hotel. But if you're planning something similar to what my friend and I did - which was to visit most of the tourist spots on our own, then this is a highly recommended hotel mainly due to convenience in public transport.

We visited all the major spots just by using the subway - Tiananmen Square (which can be reached via a good 10min walk/stroll as well), Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, Mastercard Arena (I'm a Stephon Marbury fan), and a number of museums. We only booked a tour with a group in a van for the Great Wall (Mutianyu). Olympic Stadium and CCTV towers were also part of our plan which can also be reached using the subway, which at a fixed price of RMB2 per ride regardless of destination is very cheap!

As for the hotel itself, it may be clean but it is showing signs of aging. I'm guessing it may have been renovated for the 2008 Olympics just like everybody else but that's it. The breakfast at the Premier Lounge has limited selection (I suggest you go downstairs - much more food available). The afternoon snack is not something to be excited about. I think they're just left overs from breakfast. At least, the best thing about the Premier Floor is that the staff there is much more friendly and accommodating than the ones at the lobby.

We booked our stay with discounted rates coming from our accoradvantage membership. In my opinion, paying the regular rack rates is definitely not worth it. (Even with our discounted rates, I'm having second thoughts if it was a good bargain). In my opinion, this is not a 4 star hotel. Maybe a 3.5 star hotel, but too bad there are no half ratings here in TA, so will score them as a 3 star instead.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors for better views in the morning
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments and I am pleased that you were able to make the most of the location.
I am happy to say that the hotel will be upgrading rooms in 2013 and I hope that you will have an opportunity to experience the new product. Regarding the evening snacks I can assure you that they are fresh however I will make certain with our Food and Beverage team that they are also presented correctly and that there is a good selection and variety.
Thank you again for your feeback and we will continue our aim to provide the very best in service and product and to continually improve. Regards - Dennis Oldfield.
Sydcool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The location of this hotel is excellent. It's a 15 minute walk to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, and the subway is across the road. It's easy to reach other tourist sites by subway, e.g. the Summer Palace. One of the main shopping areas of Beijing is a 15 minute walk. We organised a private driver to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall through the hotel for 800 Yuan, which is highly recommended. Go early in the morning; you will beat the morning rush hour and you will have the wall almost to yourself. The rooms are spacious and clean, although nothing spectacular. Breakfast was okay. The weather in September was perfect for a holiday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the comments and recommendation of the hotel.
I too prefer the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall to the much busier Ba Da Ling sectionwhere there are too many tour groups. Mutianyu is less crowded and I think gives a better feel for the wall. Also the trip back down on the toboggan is great fun!
The dried fruit at the stalls are not to be missed especially the dried tomatoes. They look and taste more like cherries. An excellent snack as you are travelling aroung the sights of this fascinating city. Regards - Dennis Oldfield.

Been to Novotel Xinqiao Beijing? Share your experiences!