“Very odd place for a hotel!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Phoenix Beijing

You added Royal Phoenix Beijing to your Saves list
Royal Phoenix Beijing
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.17 Qianliang Hutong, Dongsi North Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China (Formerly BEST WESTERN PREMIER Royal Phoenix Beijing) (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)   |
Ranked #135 of 5,423 Hotels in Beijing
4.0 of 5 stars 76 Reviews
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Very odd place for a hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

So you go down a narrow smelly lane where there are piles of bricks, bikes and overflowing rubbish bins - the smell is disgusting, especially when it's hot- and then suddenly this luxury looking hotel just appears on the streets. Very strange place for a hotel as its seemingly in the middle of a local town so nothing for tourists! The rooma are lovely, luxury decor and fabulously soft and comfy bed linen..our bathroom smelled very damp, and the blind on window pane between the bathroom and bedroom (peep show!!) was ill fitting and mouldy in places. 1 English tv channel which was news. All staff quite bored looking and uninterested. The breakfast was to be desired-only cater for local Chinese would be nice to offer an omelette or some recognisable food items.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here nights. The hotel itself is designed and presented as 4 stars, the property itself and décor probably is, however the level of service is poor. The staff are less than helpful if you asked them anything.

They do not appear to have a left luggage store, and to leave your luggage means you leave it beside reception near by the door. I felt this was not a secure and told them...response "we have a camera watching". It did not occur to them watching someone take something isn't much use!
Later whilst waiting for my pick up transfer...I was asked to leave the bar area because I wasn't ordering more to drink (even though I was the only person in there and I had eaten my lunch in there). I was told to go sit in reception, which is actually an extension of the bar area. Ridiculous.

I have had better treatment in 2 star and hostels than I had in this hotel. I would not stay here again,

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Portland, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights last November when BJ was very cold and wet. I caught a cold since I was traveling from Southern China. The hotel is located right between two subway stops but in a Hutong alley. There are many water pits in Hutong when raining. Every time my shoes and socks are wet walking through the pits. I need to use the kettle to boil some water to take medicine. Every time when I tried to boil the water, the breaker box will jump and room is then out of electricity. This happened at least 3 times. I asked the staff and they sent a electriation but never really fix the breadbox. I finally gave up for useing the kettle.

The breakfast area was below mediocre for a 4 star hotel in BJ. You have to sit by the round table with strangers which is awkward sometimes. The food choice is okay (I can't believe they don't even serve wonton soup which is very common at all other hotel restaurant). The service of the staff is below average.

At the last day when I checked out, the front conceirge told me I
had to pay my room fee which is a big surprise because I had prepaid
full with credit card when I booked BW online. At the day when I checked in, it also showed the proof. But the staff told me they didn't receive the payment info because of the fax machine is broken, bla bla bla. So finally it took us 20 min to sort it out, and I have to pay 2000 yuan in cash. I had a big sigh since I was catching the subway to the airport and if I had happened not to have that much cash, I might screwed or not be able to catch my international flights.

Only pros: the hotel room is big and the bed is huge kingsize. Shower and bath have a electric curtain.

Other than that, I would not come back to this hotel again!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Prescott, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here during a tour of Beijing, and the hotel was absolutely great, the restaurant upstairs was delicious, and the location was fascinating. We took many walks out from the hotel and enjoyed seeing the shops and LIFE being lived! I would recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here on out trip in April, the Hotel itself is quite palatial from the exterior, the paradox to that however is the fact that you have to walk down a narrow Hutong (narrow lane) for 4 mins to get to it from whatever direction you chose. This affords you with the opportunity of observing Beijingers up-close!.

Hotel itself was quiet , so ideal if you wish to avoid the hustle and bustle of the ever-busy streets nearby. There are 2 metro stations nearby giving you easy access to most of the city.

Breakfast choices were plentiful and the staff seemed very helpful to attend to any queries you had.
My only snag, was with the concierge who tried to coerce us into booking a Beijing tour with a travel group of his preference, despite advising that we’ll prefer not to, as we had recommendation from friends of ours. He continually belittled our choice and embarked on unnecessary scare-mongering, It took the best part of 5 mins of emphatic explaining that we were NOT using his suggestions. Unsure, if he’d heard of the great British resolve prior to that, but I’m sure he’s well versed now!!.

All in all, a good choice for 4 days in this awesome city!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Now this hotel is a surprise. You would never expect to see this imposing building among the narrow alleys of China's hutongs (now defined as neighborhoods, but derived from the Mongolian word for well - see I do listen to the tour guides). The streets are so narrow that our tour van had to drop us off at one end of the road, and the bellboys from the hotel immediately met the van with an overgrown golf cart to pick up our luggage. In the meantime, you are walking down this narrow street (although small cars, bicycles, and motorcycles do manage), looking into neighborhood restaurants and shops, courtyards, and markets. There is a large government building, which required knocking down part of the hutong, near the hotel, but the hotel still seems intriguingly out of place. The lobby is very nice, and the rooms are decorated with embroidered throws and pillows. Furnishings look like what you would find at a B&B. Breakfast is a bit of a mess, as the dining room is huge, and if you don't get there when it first opens, they run out of many items. Tables also weren't cleared. Seems they are understaffed. Food that was left was acceptable (we got there at 8 a.m., and the restaurant opened at 7 a.m.). But this isn't about the food. It is about the comfort of a well-maintained hotel in the middle of an actual Chinese neighborhood, within walking distance (if you are a good walker) of the Forbidden City. Near major shopping streets also, it is, however, in the midst of a series of entertaining hutongs that can provide a great deal of insight into the current Chinese way of life in Beijing. There are lots of good restaurants around. We did have a nice meal in the Chinese restaurant in the hotel, but only because one of the staff members (who showed us to the restaurant on the first floor) stayed with us to order. None of the waitresses spoke any English

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pune, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I travelled to China with my family in May 2013. We stayed in this hotel for 5 days. We liked it very much. Very good rooms.Comfy beds,very clean toilets.The breakfast was also very good. Ofcourse the Reception staff did not speak good English but its not a negetive point..there are many hotels around the world where the reception staff cannot speack Chinese.
The location of the hotel is gr8.You can have lots of local flavour around.Walking in the Hutongs is a good experience. They have a very nice spa in the basement.
Will certainly recommend it to a friend

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Royal Phoenix Beijing? Share your experiences!