“Lovely place to stay, with friendly staff, down a peaceful Hutong” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fly by Knight Courtyard Beijing

and 1 more site!
You added Fly by Knight Courtyard Beijing to your Saves list
Fly by Knight Courtyard Beijing
No. 6 Dengcao Hutong,Dongcheng District, Beijing 100010, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #12 of 812 Beijing B&B and Inns
Bristol
“Lovely place to stay, with friendly staff, down a peaceful Hutong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I only stayed here for one night but that was enough to tell that it was great. Friendly staff who spoke excellent english and were very helpful. I arrived too early to check in but they still let me use the shower and looked after my stuff while I wandered around Beijing. The beds are comfy and the bathrooms clean. Also the location and building are great. It's a short walk to the subway and there's nice cheap places to eat nearby. They also serve good dumplings and breakfast in the hostel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed for four nights in this courtyard hotel and we had a great experience. The private double room has a very good queen bed and a great shower too. Helpfull staff, nice atmosphere and great location. Recomended!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Fly By Knight is a great hostel! The renovated courtyard is really gorgeous, the staff are very helpful an the bedding good quality. They also have a resident dog who is the cutest pooch in Beijing! They run an artist exchange programme for writers and artists and as I'm a writer I wrote the following which I thought I'd post on here to give you an idea about the area it is in and the ambiance of the place:

"I arrived into Beijing Zhan just as dusk was setting and by the time I came out of Dong Si metro stop, it was dark and the the busy street was a riot of neon lights, strange but intoxicating food smells competed with the stench of car fumes and cheap clothes shops blasted out pop music.
When I turned into DengCao hutong I felt like I was in a different place. The chaos vanished - the hutong was dark and quiet, the buildings looked ramshackle and the only light emanated from shadowy doorways. I must have looked lost or confused or scared because a nice lady with a very friendly dog asked me what I was looking for. “The Fly By Knight hostel” I said, not expecting her to know, but to my surprise, she knew exactly where it was. Soon I was approaching the huge red door, guarded by two Chinese lions, thinking 'surely this can't be a youth hostel? But it was. The red door opened and I was led into the courtyard, which looks just like something from a Chinese legend. I was staving so after dumping my bags in the dorm, I ventured out into the next hutong for food. It had started to rain so I dived into the first establishment I saw, and found myself in a rather down-at-heel looking cafe. It was empty but for a group of drunken Chinese men sitting round a table and the staff who seemed to be all of one family. I slunk into a seat, watched over by Chairman Mao and shoved the piece of paper that the girl at Fly By Knight had kindly written me into the young waiter's hand. It explained that I didn't eat meat. 'Ok' he said, and walked off. No menus in this place, I was just presented with a huge plate of tofu and tomatoes in a tasty, very orange sauce and some rice (it's the first place you come to if you turn right out of Fly By Knight, pass the old sofa and turn into Lishi Hutong and it's dirt cheap).

In the day time, the hutong looked much less threatening. Locals sat round makeshift tables in the street playing cards, the hatches of the cafes were open serving all manner of fast food and cyclists whizzed up and down on their bicycles and rickshaws. You can peek into the courtyards or down the alleyways and the buildings, though some a little shabby, are not so ramshackle. All around the city, these little alleyways buzz with activity and life; forget that fancy, gilded citadel north of Tiananmen Square, down in the hutong is where you'll find the real Beijing."

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

After landing in Beijing at 11pm, the journey of finding the Fly By Knight is one to remember. As soon as you've wandered down the "very short" hutong, asked a random local who doesn't speak English, knocked on a red door that they pointed at, and been turned away from that red door, just keep walking. You will find it eventually. Once you step foot inside you can instantly relax.
Rooms are nicely simple and more than what I expected for the cheap price. We booked a double and a single and both had fresh, clean and very comfortable beds! New western toilets also (took this for granted) Staff are all very helpful in answering any questions. We booked our Great Wall tour of Mutianyu which was great, although we were charged more than other guests from nearby hotels. ($340 for us and $280 for the rest of the tour)
Location to other things was ok, we still needed cabs everywhere, and their hard to catch on the main road.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

First time traveling overseas, first stop, first time in a hostel. It's a small place so it's very personal, all staff are very polite and friendly. Although small and a bit squished, it was a very organized and clean overall.

They were always willing to help and have very good knowledge of the surrounding areas as well as popular places to visit in and around Beijing. Yasmine was there the most, she could always point out directions on a map wherever I was headed; which subway line to get, signs to indicate you're going in the right direction, price range of things etc. Suggestions on where to find good food and activities were also much appreciated. Her fluent english made the whole process very smooth.

I said I was scared of dogs, so all the staff always fussed over it; moving the dog away from me, tying it up etc, making sure i was comfortable. I also needed train tickets to travel to Tai An and then from there to Shanghai, which they helped organise, Also joined their tour for the great wall at Jinshanling, really good, pretty much no other people there.

Overall, felt that they were really genuine and that i was in safe hands. There was a very open, social atmosphere; easy to meet people, either from your own dorm or at the common table.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Majorca, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Probably the best thing about this hostel is the staff who are so helpful and informed. Their English is good. It is situated in a Hutong and just the daily walks to the Hutong restaurants are colorful experiences. I see guys arguing loudly over checker games, local shoemakers working along the passage ways, fruit vendors and locals gathering to talk. It's a charming neighborhood. There is also a 3-story supermarket called Wu Mart that has everything one could need. I think it easy to get anywhere from this location by subway and I am delighted that I have not gotten lost yet... it's simple to use. The hostel provides a good tour to the Great Wall at Jinshanling where older sections of the Wall are there and no crowds. The courtyard is really nice and even the dorms are nice... sufficient.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Belgrade, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

It's difficult to find once is inside a Hutong. However the location is great if you want to visit Beijing. You have a metro station nearby with good connections everywhere in the city. An exelent value for money option. The staff is great and very helpful. You need to pay in cash so don't forget to cash some money before. Nevertheless there's a bankomat nearby. It's a bit noisy during the night specially if there are guest arriving late night.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Fly by Knight Courtyard Beijing? Share your experiences!