“all veg all the time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairy Su

Fairy Su
No 30 Dongcheng District, Beijing, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)
010-58444596-598
Neighborhood: Tian'anmen / Wangfujing
Vancouver, Canada
“all veg all the time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

There is a family feel amongst the staff that is warm and welcoming. The downstairs is clean and bright. However, the upstairs dining area is even more attractive.They are expert in making faux meat dishes. The spicy "pork" was perfect after a long day of exploration in Beijing. I also ravaged a plate of stir-fried pancake. What a relief to enjoy a meal where no meat is cooked in the kitchen - so much healthier. I spotted this place while riding my bicycle into the hutongs during my trip last year. I am went back again and happy to say only positive things about Fairy Su.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Choose carefully”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Fairy Su is on the same street as the lama temple so very easy to find. The place is rather lacking in ambiance - we were on the ground floor and there were not many people there at all. There is a second floor which may have more ambiance but according to the concierge who booked for us, you have to pay extra service charge if you choose to eat here - the restaurant website says reservations are required but the place was empty when we arrived.

We chose 4 dishes between us and 3 of the 4 were cold which was a bit of a disappointment. There were a lot of mock meat dishes but plenty of vegetable dishes on offer as well. Was ok, but would recommend crossing the road to the Confucius temple and eating at Xu Xiang Zhai instead.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia
“OK, Good Experiance but atmosphere a bit flat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

You probably won’t be disappointed, but on the other hand, it is not the most memorable place. The food was good and the service OK. If you are in Beijing for a while give it a go, but if you only have one night, you might want to try other options.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Beijing, China
“party of 24”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I gave a party to my office colleagues in this restaurant in mid-June 2012. We ordered a wide variety of food items, whose names I cannot recall! My family and I are vegetarians from India. We found the food interesting. All the Chinese colleagues (both men and women) seem to have
enjoyed the meal. The ambiance is good, but I thought that the one opposite Confuscious temple was better as well as slightly more pricey. The average cost came out to 70 Yuan. I will say that it is an OK restaurant, not extraordinary.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida, United States
“Lunch after visiting nearby Temples”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

After visiting the nearby Lama Temple and Confucius Temple, this is an easy to find place for safe vegetarian food. I visited this restaurant often. If you are coming from the Lonhegong metro train station, it is just past the Lama Temple (about 1 block). The menu is in both Chinese and English, whith photos to help you figure out what you are ordering. As a vegetarian, I don't understand why they use the mock meat names for the food, but that's the way every vegetarian restaurant seems to do it in Beijing. Many times I won't try an item just because of the meat name, although it is pure vegetarian. A Buddhist monk from the nearby temple was eating in the booth next to me so I assume this was safe vegetarian. I really liked eating here.

• Visited June 2012