“Very good, but not the best steaks in my life” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Angus Grill (Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing)

Angus Grill (Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing)
No.48 Wangfujing Avenue, Beijing 100006, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)
010-59119999
Improve this listing
Ranked #76 of 9,462 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tian'anmen / Wangfujing
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
“Very good, but not the best steaks in my life”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Overall it was a great time we had there! A bit tired from the typical Chinese meal, this was a nice place to get back to our habitual food. The waiter spoke decent English, atmosphere was relaxed, nice background music, their signature bread was amazing! the starters very delicious, as well...As about steaks, well...could be better, I would say. They were OK, but slightly over-done if we speak about medium-plus cooked meat. I had that Japanese Wagyu Fillet Mignon (on the picture above), and my friend had Australian Angus Sirloin Steak, well that one was better, but not superb, either.
But the crayons were of service to us, as we met very nice people from Australia there and shared our contacts on table-top paper)))))
And of course it was a bit pricey, but that is something you expect going to the central Beijing 5-star hotel restaurant

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
beijingheart, Manager at Angus Grill (Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing), responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for dining at Angus Grill and for taking the time to share your experience. Your kind words regarding the dining environment and our food offerings are much appreciated. At the same time, I have noted your comments regarding the steaks. My apologies if these were not cooked exactly to your liking. We continue to provide training to our cooks to do our best serving perfectly cooked steaks to all of our guests.
Once again, thank you for your review and feedback and I look forward welcoming you back.

“Impressive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Had a great steak with some great people in this restaurant.

Whilst living in Beijing, I have visited many similar places. Yet, this definitely is one of these very few better ones, morely: Impressive!

The staff speaks good English and is rather prompt with its services.
The choice on salts and knifes is interesting. I used the salt with herbs, yummie! Also the 'Gentlemen's-knife' was a good recommendation to cut this well-prepared tasty piece of steak. Would be nice having a choice of peppers as well though. However, a selection of mustards was served as well.

All together, a great evening out in the middle of Beijing. I believe a great spot for people from all over the world, on any occassion!

I will be back...

• 5 of 5 stars Food
beijingheart, Manager at Angus Grill (Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing), responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to dine at Angus Grill and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to read your positive comments with regards to our team and the food. We are glad that you appreciated the selection of steak knives, salts and mustard we have available.
Once again, thank you for sharing your dining experience. Whilst you are living in Beijing, we do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

The Hague, The Netherlands
“A place for all occassions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went there for a dinner with my friends, group of 6, and we had a great time. All steaks are from Australia and you can taste the quality. Ordered fillet mignon medium rare and got it exactly to my liking. I ordered the merlot and shallots sauce on the side, but this one was not my taste. A bit too light and watery. The choice of different salts, however, was a nice touch and I always like to have freshly grinded pepper on my meat. Actually I think that you do not really need any sauce, freshly grinded salt and pepper will do.

Atmosphere of the restaurant is cozy, music is good, and it will be a nice place for a romantic dinner. However, it would be nice if they would change the staff uniform, black shirt and trousers looks a bit sad and although the service is very attentive, it makes them look less friendly.

But we had a great time there and will definitely go back for a romantic dinner with my wife.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Angus Grill for dinner with your friends and for taking the time to share your experience.
We are happy to read about your appreciative and constructive comments with regards to your meal and our service team.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward welcoming you back, perhaps for a romantic dinner with your wife.

Beijing, China
“I don't understand how this restaurant got such a High ranking!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was a little confused when I saw this restaurant ranked so high for Beijing and I had never heard of it before. Anyhow we figured we would give it a try.

Ambience - 3 The restaurant is located on the ground floor right next to the entrance which is really not ideal. Decor seemed a bit dated. Music selection was actually OK, mainly Norah Jones if I remember correctly.

Wine - 1 The wine list consisted of about four bottles of wine. We settled on an American Merlot and it came out hot. We had to put the bottle on ice to make it drinkable.

Service - 4 Very helpful staff. We got a prime location table next to the window, they all spoke good English and were eager to accomodate any requests that we had. Only screw up was that we had asked to split the appetizer and they brought us two of the same.

Food - 2 We ordered Ravioli for the appetizer. It was drowned in tomato sauce with shredded mozarella sprinkled on top. Ravioli was tough, not tender. Steak was cooked as we prefer and the cut of meat was fine (it was the large rib eye). I would note that my experience in China is that if you order medium, you get medium rare so that is what we did and we got medium rare which is what I prefer. Unfortunately the steak had no seasonings on it at all, I suspect the sauce that was served on the side was meant to be the seasoning. The baked potato was cold, the mashed potatoes were OK, and the brocolli while tasting OK, was visually unappealing. I might have given this a 3 had it not been for the price which was ridiculous for what we got.

Sorry! I don't like slagging restaurants, but this one does not deserve to be ranked as high as it is. Caveat Emptor!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest,

Thank you for dining at Angus Grill. I was very sorry to read that you have not fully enjoyed your dining experience with us. I do appreciate your constructive comments that help us in our aim to deliver a high quality experience.

You mentioned the Merlot was served at too high a room temperature. We looked into better storing our red wines and will resolve this issue soon. At the same time, I was surprised to read you only found four wines to choose from; our Wine by the Glass menu lists 3 white wines and 4 red wines served both by the bottle and by the glass. However, our main Beverage Menu lists a much more extensive selection. I will ensure my team will offer both lists at all times.

It was explained to me that indeed you ordered an appetizer to share and my team has split out and served this portion on two plates for your convenience. I apologize if this was not according to your wishes.

Although I was pleased to read you enjoyed our 330grams Australian Rib Eye steak, I have duly noted your comments with regards to the ravioli, baked potato and broccoli. I do regret that we have fallen short of your expectations and we have since reviewed the recipes and made the necessary improvements.

I was happy to read your favorable words to the service staff; - Thank you!

Thank you for taking the time to review your dining experience on TripAdvisor. We will continue doing the best we can to retain our usual high standards. I do hope you will give us another opportunity and visit us again in the near future.

Sao Paulo
“Good meat, pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The restaurant is nice, not fancy but cozy. The food is really good, steaks and the pork are really tasty. They also have a reasonable wine list and the service is excellent. The only "con"is that they're a little bit pricey.

Visited February 2013
beijingheart, Manager at Angus Grill (Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing), responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for dining at Angus Grill and for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.
We very much appreciate your positive comments on our menus and service team! We are happy to read that your tried and enjoyed some of our non-beef specialties! Your feedback encourages us to keep aiming for excellent service and food at Angus Grill.