“perfect location and nice design” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel

Save Saved
You added Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel to your Saves list
Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.24 Songshujie, Xicheng District | Beijing, Beijing 100009, China (Houhai)   |
Special Offer
Get FREE Boating Cruise
Ranked #30 of 5,123 hotels in Beijing
Zurich, Switzerland
“perfect location and nice design”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel is located in the heart of the Hutongs, close to Houhai and the bar area (10min walk way). For me it was perfect as therewith I was in the heart of the historic authentic Beijing. I loved to walk around take pictures and see the local old Beijing people... (just take the phone number, to call on arrival, so the Taxi driver can talk to them as it is not so easy to find). The design is indeed very nice, modern with some classical elements! The lobby area is very well designed and the library is great combination. In general the ambience there was perfect to relax! Also the rooms are nice, offer all you may need (except international TV), are quiet, except the noise of other guests through the door...just the rooms are not big (typical in that Hutong area), what I did not mind for the four days I stayed alone there. The only thing I complained that rooms where not really clean. The floor was dusty and the corners dirty...and bathroom was also only superficially cleaned when I was there. And regarding food: they offer a good breakfast, I found what I liked but the variety is pretty limited. And overall the staff was very friendly and helpful (except one who seemed new in hotel branch...and gave me first pretty wrong advise what time to get to airport)...And they speak well English! In any case I would go again and recommend to travelers who want to stay in heart of old Beijing.

Room Tip: Upper floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Shichahai hotel provides guest with an excellent customer service and a unforgettable stay! The staff is so kind, ready to help at any time and very efficient! Special thanks to Sara and David.
Both modern and traditional, this hotel puts a strong emphasis on the chinese culture which is reminded all across the place through different features and a brilliant puppet show. As a young couple, my boyfriend and I had the chance to be there for Valentine's Day for which the staff had organised a lovely free buffet, funny games for the couples and two amazing puppet shows. I recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Beijing!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kunming, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having lived in China for two years, I find this hotel extremely refreshing. My family came to visit and wanted to give me a special experience as a traditional hand puppeteer. We did not expect the level of care we received. Rooms were clean and roomy. We were fortunate to book the rooms overlooking the courtyard where the shadow puppet performances are held so my granddaughter chose to watch from there. The staff were very accommodating. Breakfast was delicious and presented well. Yes, the Hutong alleyways are narrow and hard to reach by taxi but the trouble is worth it. We walked to the Forbidden City and the lakes area. The subway system is easily accessed and inexpensive to use. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: As mentioned, the rooms overlooking the courtyard made for great viewing of the puppet show. I thou...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

they put up a shadow performance art show every tuesday thursday and saturday, so remember to arrange your stay during these days! it starts at 8 sharp, i managed to rush back to the hotel for the show and it was worth it! besides the receptionist are so helpful and friendly

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Seeing the rave reviews of this place, we booked this hotel for 4 nights.

Pros:
- This hotel has a lot of character and is a visual treat for those who want to know more about Chinese culture. My only regret was not seeing the performance at 8 pm (it happens on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights)
- Nicely decorated hotel, right smack in the middle of a hutong, where you get to experience life in China. We booked a deluxe room and had a charming little ledge by the window.
- The staff were very nice and helpful. They not only recommended good restaurants around the Houhai area, they even helped us shorten our subway trip to the Beijing Railway Station. They were also generous in providing additional bottles of water.
- This is one of the few hotels that provide breakfast in China. It's not great, they serve the same stuff every day, but hey, it does the job.
- Try the hutong tour the hotel offers. It's affordable (CNY188), takes 1.5 hours and you learn a lot about the hutongs and the Houhai area.

Cons:
- This place was really far away and no taxi driver knows where it is. It's a 10-15 minute walk from Beihai Bei station (exit A, walk past the 'femoral head hospital' till you hit the first road, then walk all the way in) which means to head down to places like Tiananmen Square etc, you'll need to spend 30 mins on the subway.
- Living in a hutong means you'll be exposed to funky smells / spitting / public urinating / shitting whenever.
- The hotel doesn't serve meals and there aren't any restaurants nearby. The closest is Houhai which is a 25 minute walk and even if so, most of the restaurants there are tourist traps which are expensive and not great.
- The hotel's architecture meant that the rooms are close to each other, which isn't good for light sleepers. In the middle of the night, we were woken up by inconsiderate guests slamming the door at 3 am! On another night, we were woken up again by a guest trying to close the door quietly but ended up banging it. And on our last night there, we could hear this guy talk to his wife in the room a few doors down! Light sleepers, you may want to consider somewhere else.
- Bed's not very comfortable and sinks in. Also, the shower door doesn't close completely and made ruckus whenever we tried to close it.

If I were to do this trip again, I'd book this hotel for a night just to see the hutongs / Houhai area and perhaps move to another hotel closer to key locations such as the Forbidden City.

Room Tip: Maybe book a suite as that may be quieter?
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
feng y, Manager at Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
we do appreciate your time and your comments. we will always do our best to offer you a better service. It is always a pleasure when guests take the time to commend the hotel and I have shared your words with all the staff.
It was our fault that we didn't mention that our property has a membership club which is not very far from the hotel, and during your walk there you can also have a more memorable experience of traditional Chinese hutong culture and a deeper tour of hutong residents' lives. Also we will consider to add soundproof materials in our building.
Thanks again for your feedback we look forward to your return in the near future.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and it was my birthday while I was there. The staff made a real effort to make it special. They gave me a birthday card and delivered fruit and wine to my room. A very nice touch. The staff were helpful and accommodating. We stayed in a deluxe double and the rooms are a good size and very tastefully decorated. The lobby and lounge area are beautiful with wonderful art work on the walls. We were there for one of the shadow puppet performances and it was such a treat. We loved being able to go behind the screen and see how it all worked. The hotel is in the middle of a houtong area and we loved being able to see how the locals lived. The only downside was that no taxi knew where the hotel was and we had a lot of trouble finding the hotel on the first day. Once we walked around we found our way no problem but just make sure on first arrival you have enough details to give a taxi driver. The hotel is also within walking distance of the Houhai lakes that have so many bars and restaurants around them. A great place for a night out. If you are looking for a quite retreat in busy Beijing then this hotel is perfect!

Turku, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I recommend this hotel fully, I think it is one of the best hotels I have ever been in. The location is super, in a small hutong where you can experience hutong life which is the best about Beijing, and very close to the beautiful lake district full of life and bars and restaurants. The double room we had was top notch with a really big bed, bathtub and beautiful decorations, every thing felt clean and new, with a window in to the lobby so we were able to watch the shadow art performance directly from our room. The service was very friendly and helping despite a few language problems, everybody did their best to make our stay good, the house keeping was spotless, the breakfast buffet was also very good. I am sure that this is one of the best hotel experiences you can get in Beijing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel? Share your experiences!