“The Hutong” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hutong

The Hutong
No.1 Jiu Dao Wan Zhong Xiang Hutong, Dongcheng District, Beixinqiao (Metro Line 5), Beijing 10007, China
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hutong is Beijing's culture exchange center in the heart of the capital. From cooking classes to tea workshops, and more.
Beijing, China
3 attraction reviews
“The Hutong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Tired of organized trips that make manadatory stops at souvenir factories?! Well, The Hutong is your answer. Whether it's language, culture, photography or food you're interested in, The Hutong can add spice to your Beijing experience. No matter how long you're in town, take a class and turn your visit into an adventure.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 attraction reviews
“Good school with a lot of diffrent classes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It doesn't matter if you are a Beijing resident or a tourist, this school sure has a class that fit's your interest.

Been taken the beginner and intermediate photo course with Mitchell as a mentor and not only is he a good teacher, during my two day courses I really get a deeper knowledge of my camera, got inspiration to take more photos, photo critique/feedback, got basic knowledge in using Lightroom 4 and got to know new friends that share my hobby.

My wife and I also went to the "Asian Pickling Class" which was very good, with a good teacher, and now we are enjoying our pickles at home. Soon to make a new batch at home.

Our next goal is to try the "dumpling class" and the "tofu making class" which we heard from friends was really good.

If you have an interest in Chinese culture or/and food/tea I can really recommend this school.

Visited September 2012
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
“Dumpling making at The Hutong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

A friend living in Beijing booked me into a class at The Hutong before I arrived in China, and while weaving my way through the Hutong laneways trying to find it, I wasn't sure what to expect. But what a fabulous morning it turned out to be, a real trip highlight. We learnt the technique for preparing dumpling doe, the filling options, and different ways to cook them. The best part? We got to eat them all for lunch at the end.Thanks for a great class guys! If im ever back in China I'll definitely be back :)

Monterey, CA
5 attraction reviews
“Learn to Cook Chinese Style!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The gyoza class I took at The Hutong was one of my favorite experiences in Beijing. Our instructor was informative, engaging, and quite knowledgable. She made an effort to answer each of our questions completely and went so far as to email around a recipe that wasn't part of that class, because we were all so interested. If they had offered another cooking class during the 2 weeks I was there, I would have seriously considered it.

My only suggestions for improvement:
1) Once I got home and was ready to make another batch of gyoza, I found that the directions were somewhat vague, and in one place, just didn't make sense. I'd tighten that up a bit.

2) Share or sell the secret to the spice mixture used pretty much everywhere in Beijing, including the restaurant down the street! I tried to break it down myself, but could only pick out the cumin. If I had found it sold anywhere, I would have bought a pound! In fact, I class on local spices and how to use them would be fantastic!

Lille, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
“Cooking classes, local knowledge and community connections”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've had the pleasure of interacting with the Hutong on several occasions. I've taken cooking classes and the Eat Sleep Breath workshops, attended community events and brought groups there for tailored cultural classes. The experience is always professional, but personal. I consider The Hutong one of Beijing's experts in local knowledge and culture!

Visited May 2012