“Peaceful Residence” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Building A, Fangheng Internatioanl Mansion, Building 3, No.6 Futong East Street, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100102, China (Wangjing)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #86 of 5,416 Hotels in Beijing
Beijing, China
“Peaceful Residence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for about 10 days when I visited Beijing in June 2013. The purpose of my visit was to attend my Ph.D. graduation ceremony. i was accompanied by my son who is 15 year old. I did the booking through the internet as it is much cheaper. The room was spacious and very clean.
The hotel is located in Wangjing sub district, northeast of Beijing, which is not far away from the airport. It is a little bit far from the CPD area (around 25 minutes). If you seek and care about peaceful and quite places, then this hotel is one of the best choices. The breakfast is quit good. with regard to the staff of the hotel they are average and most of whom speak some English.
What I liked the most about the hotel is its excellent location, as it is surrounded by a large number of Chinese, Korean and Japanese restaurants, Super market, shopping malls and many other facilities and services. We found it very easy to get a taxi at any time with the help of the hotel staff and without it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BeijingMiaomiao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to report about your expeirence at our Hotel. Your comments are very much appreciated and are an encouragement to improve our staff general hospitality knowledge and also their level of English.
Thank you again for being our guest and should you visit our Hotel again, please let us konw.
Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Qingdao, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I was wondering what would make the difference between staying here and at the nearby HIE, Wangjing? For sure I would spend only half the tariff and both just a 100m apart would have the same locational advantage/disadvantage. Service in general at Holiday Inn is meant to be better but I am doubtful of that. A few exceptions I could accept is the smart concierge Blake and perhaps ne of their front end staff, Paul. Though I did not much face any problems here during my stay, the executive lounge was closed, the restaurant almost had stale services and menu, staff were mere lifeless beings, do not know why? Fitness center is good and so was the swimming pool. Staff there were full of life. To sum up, a good hotel but could beef up its involvement with guests and add some lessons on greeting, guiding, etc. the nearby Focus mall and the nearby another big mall adds to the locational advantage.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Hotel. By pointing out our shortcoming, your observations are certainly very useful as they help us to improve our services. In particular you can rest assured that we will strengthen our training in the basics of hospitality.
Thank you also for praising some of our Staff members, this is very encouraging for all of us.
Should you choose our Hotel again in the future, please do not hesitate to let me know(ext.6101), I would be much honored to meet you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

I found that this hotel was central from my office. The rooms are very clean, the restaurant are good and if you do want to eat in you can just walk to another restaurant near the hotel, there are a lot of them. If I one complaint that would be that some of the staff a cannot speak very good English and this bring an International Hotel I expected them too.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,
We are very grateful for your comments and pleased to know that you have overall benn satisfied with our Hotel. I agree with you: the English level of our staff is still not good enough but you can rest assured that we are now focusing on English language training (since your last visit, we have a Native American Citizen as a teacher!)
Thank you very much for your time and for being our guest.
Shropshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed here for a week and a half on business and was impressed.The rooms are a good size, with a comfortable bed and nice bathroom. There's a working desk and sofa. Bathrobes and slippers provided.

As others have said, this is not the place to stay if you want to see tourist sites in the centre, but it's good if you're visiting offices nearby and there is a useful shuttle service each morning.

Service is very good - I rang guest services with a couple of queries and got answers straight away, from someone who spoke good English. Breakfast is excellent, with plenty on offer for all nationalities.

My only complaint would be about the food at other times of the day. I tried one of the restaurants in the late evening. There was nobody in it. I was asked if I wanted the buffet and asked if there was anything for vegetarians on it ... at which point they pointed me to the main menu. I could eat pasta with a tomato sauce or a green salad. That was it. The same choice appears on the room service menu. China has such an amazing range of vegetables - please put some of them on the menu! However, there is a mall just around the corner from the hotel with a good choice of restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here during a business trip mid April. Rooms are quite good & still feel relatively ‘new’.
One issue that I had with my room was the air con. When I arrived it was 35 degrees in the room (very hot). I thought that because the afternoon sun was shining through the window & the air con was off when I got into the room it would cool down a bit later on. I left my room for about 3 hours and when I returned it dropped only a few degrees (still quite warm), buy that time it was too late for me to be bothered to ask for another room. It did eventually return to a lower temperature (but took almost 2 days). So check to see if your air con is working when you get to the room.
Location wise it is ok if you are travelling for business, and your office is in the area, but i think if you are visiting Beijing on a holiday you might want to stay somewhere else. As access to the city area is quite far & there is no metro station near by. Even if you walk to the metro station (about 20mins) you need to change trains about 4 times before you make it to the down town area. It took us a bit over an 1hr to get there. A taxi is probably a better bet, and it will cost you around 35RMB.
I had a spare day and wanted to book a trip to the great wall and I did via the concierge. One word of advice, DON’T do this if you don’t want to be ripped off. I paid 400RMB for a day trip & the hotel books via an external travel company that comes to your hotel & picks you up. I got talking with some of the other tourists & some of them paid from anywhere between 150 – 200 RMB (online), so I was charged double. When I asked for a receipt, they said that they couldn’t provide me with one & I could only pay cash for it. I wouldn’t have mind if they charged me a bit extra, but I think that more than double is excessive.
One of the key challenges that i had was the level of English of the staff at the hotel. In all interactions they 'speak' fine. But the issue is when you ask them a question or have a request no one can understand. They seem to know a certain scripts in English & that’s about it.
I am a vegetarian & it was extremely difficult for me to communicate what I wanted to eat, after a few failed attempts and a wrong meal delivered ( I was eating at the Chinese restaurant in the hotel, Chopsticks); I ate it anyways, but I think that this is pretty poor for an international chain that caters for the international business traveller.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room with a king bed on a high floor. Make sure the aircon in your room works.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during a business trip. Great value for money. The hotel is clean and fairly new. The staff are efficient. For what you're paying in a super high cost city of Beijing, it's a very good deal. The only down side is the location. It's very far from the city center. If you are having meetings there, I don't suggest you stay here. It will take you more than an hour to get to first or even second ring road. Overall, it's a great value for money hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Salta, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Clean and breakfast good. Many restaurants are very close. 798 Art Zone is also close. But when you want to go to city center using public transportation such as metro, its location is not satisfactory.You need to take a Taxi to metro station, about 2 km. Except this, I recommend this hotel strongly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square? Share your experiences!