“2 wonderful hotels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Wall Garden Hotel

You added Red Wall Garden Hotel to your Saves list
Red Wall Garden Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 41 Shijia Hutong, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100010, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Special Offer
Exclusive Freebies
Ranked #3 of 5,417 Hotels in Beijing
Sussex
“2 wonderful hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed at both the Red Wall Garden and Double Happiness Hotels, and BOTH were wonderful! Whilst Red Wall was more expensive (and the overall quality better, as it's a 4-strar hotel) than Double Happiness (which was 3 star), both had their own unique charm, and being in slightly different parts of the city gave you a slightly different perspective - I'm rating 5 stars on Tripadvisor for both!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Alex,

Thank you so much for given us the 5 stars. We are very happy indeed that you enjoyed both hotels as yes we are both a little different in quality but the main thing is that you had a good experience and tell fellow trip advisor users. In the end we both want people to experience a true Chinese welcome in more traditional settings with character and charm.

I will post the review on our staff noticeboard as I know the team always appreciates the fact that our customer has taken the time to write such a kind acknowledgement of their hard work.

Should you leave Sussex again for Beijing you know where we are and i hope tone able to welcome you back.

Warmest wishes from all at the Red Wall garden.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed for 5 nights at this hotel in early October 2013. I can highly recommend the hotel, and would stay there again.

We were visiting Beijing on holiday as part of an independent tour of China to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday.

Arriving in Beijing at 11pm, after a long flight, which included a stop over in Shanghai from Sydney, it was an absolute pleasure to have the hotel's driver waiting for us with a sign at the arrival gate. He helped me with my luggage and whisked us away in no time in a luxuriously appointed 7 seat van. We were even offered a bottle of water for the journey.

The hotel is located in a safe, narrow, clean and quiet hutong, in a central location. It is a short walk away from restaurants and shops, and the subway - which I would highly recommend English-speaking tourists use, as it is extremely clean and efficient and the sign-posting is all in English.

We stayed in two different rooms during our stay - as I had extended our stay at the last minute, and the room we were in for the first four nights was not available on the last night. The first room we stayed in was on the second floor, with a window facing the courtyard, and a door opening to a balcony.

When we arrived, we were shown to our room by the male receptionist and a porter - both of whom took our bags upstairs for us. There was a hand-written note of welcome, together with some local snacks to try. The room was beautifully decorated, with a gorgeous wooden wardrobe, lovely curtains, a coffee table and two one-seater sofa chairs. The king size bed was extremely comfortable. There was a large flat-screen TV. The room was not very big, but perfectly comfortable for two people.

The bathroom was also nicely decorated, and fitted out. My only complaint with the room was that after a day or so, there was a funny smell coming from the bathroom. We told the receptionist about this in the morning, and the smell was removed from the room by the time we returned to the room in the evening. It did come back a bit a day or so later, but was removed again - probably something to do with the plumbing.

The second room we stayed in was a loft-style two floor room on the ground floor. It had a day-bed and bathroom on the ground level with a large flat screen TV. This space was quite large, and the bathroom was large with a big shower. (Double the size of the bathroom in the first room). The king-size bed was on the upper level, with a balcony and another TV. This was a lovely room, with a very comfortable bed.

All the rooms face into the central courtyard. Both rooms we stayed in had double windows (two layers of glass), plus shutters. It was quiet at night and we were not aware of any noise outside. I imagine that if there is a function occurring in the central courtyard, or lots of people sitting outside to eat, then the noise may affect the rooms - but I think the staff are well aware of this, and are careful not to schedule events in the courtyard at inconvenient hours.

The breakfast included in our tariff was very nice. It had excellent options for those with Western tastes - including muesli and cereals, yoghurt, breads, pastries, fresh fruit, juices and tea and coffee as well as hot options like eggs, sausages etc. - I had a freshly made omelette every morning. It also had really nice options for a Chinese and Asian-style breakfast - which was totally foreign to us, but which we tried and enjoyed anyway - we were staying in Beijing after all!

We also ate one late dinner in the restaurant - which was very tasty. We also appreciated the service in the restaurant, the staff were extremely obliging and friendly. We were greeted with a smile at every meal. On one of the days, a female waitress offered to provide us with plastic containers to take away with us, so that we could make sandwiches from the breakfast buffet to take with us on our day hike to the Great Wall. We thought this was really great service, especially considering she could have charged us for making us sandwiches to take along, but wanted to save us the expense.

It is this kind of experience that has led me to recommend this hotel so highly - it is what sets it apart from other large hotels - here you feel like you are getting personal attention and excellent service from staff who care. Another example of this is when the receptionist volunteered to provide us with the hotel mobile phone to take with us when we went out at night to see a show - as I was anxious about giving proper directions back to the hotel to the taxi driver. On three of the evenings when we were ready to come home, we simply dialled the hotel on the phone (a pre-set number) and receptionist gave the taxi driver directions back to the hotel for us!

Every staff member at the hotel was efficient, helpful and friendly. We were sorry that our stay at this hotel had to come to an end!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Eileen G
Thank you so much for taking the time and writing such a detailed review about our little hotel. We are all very happy that you enjoyed this special time for you both so much. If you require any assistance with the remodellingof your bathroom you nmow know where to reach us !!!

I have posted the review on our staff notice board as it is very much appreciated by all of us. You might be pleased to know that we are intruding a new lounge with cosy fire places in the lounge and bar area for our guest to relax.

I am glad you made it home safely to Australia and hope to be able to welcome you both back for perhaps your husbands 41st birthday!!

Warmest wishes from all of us.
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 7 days in late October. The hotel is a set of buildings enclosing a courtyard. It is a short stroll down a hutong from the Dengshikou subway stop. It is a 1/2 mile walk from the Wangfujing shopping district and short subway ride from Tainanmen Square and the Forbidden City.

We could have booked a modern high rise hotel located nearby but purposely chose the Red Wall Garden Inn. We weren't interested in staying in a room that looked similar to one ion Chicago, Los Angeles, or Rome and we did not need a fancy business services either. The hotel had wireless Internet connectivity and that is what we wanted.

We booked one their web site and took the Great Wall package for 3 of our days. It included airport transfers, a dinner, and transportation to the Great Wall. In our case, we got transportation top the Beijing South train station on departure as we took the train to Shanghai.

We booked a deluxe room with two beds. The furniture and beds was excellent. The bathroom was superb and has sparked ideas of how to remodel our home bathroom. The breakfast was a large buffet of Chines and European items plus eggs cooked to order. The food was tasty and got our day off to a proper start.

Facilities aside, the staff of the hotel made all the difference. They were courteous, helpful, and interested in making our stay enjoyable. We experienced a major snag when purse with a passport was stolen. The staff helped us report the incident, engage an interpreter, and copy the necessary documents. The good news was that the thief discarded the documents and we were able to retrieve them. Nonetheless it was a difficult couple of days and the hotel staff made all the difference.

To sum it up, a fine boutique hotel with a first class staff.

Dear Mr Cole,

First and foremost we are happy to learn that you got home safe in Bowie , maryland which would have been difficult without the passport!!! We very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review and praise the hotel in such a fashion. The passport incident was unfortunate but thankfully it was all sorted.

I have posted your review on our staff noticeboard and the ladies in the reception and restaurant all say "hello" . We hope to welcome you both back again to our hotel.

All at the Red wall Garden Hotel
Gozo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The charm and peace of this little hotel in the middle of this noisy, overpopulated, high rise metropolis is like balm to the soul. This little luxury hotel is nestled in a Hutong behind large wooden gates. The rooms are built around an old world courtyard, complete with fishpond, red lanterns and comfortable seating. The floors of the low rise 3 ( or was it 4?) storey hotel are all a polished wood, the beds are very comfortable, the spacious rooms are luxurious and understated. The service is friendly and attentive ( particularly the front desk) and breakfast is a feast. Tianenmen Square and The forbidden city are a short walk away. Ideal location, delightful hotel, great service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Katarina,

Thank you very much for your great review and informing fellow trip advisor users. We are always very happy when our guests enjoy our service and the special mention of the front desk staff will bring a great smile to them I can assure you.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to our boutique hotel soon!

All from Red Wall garden Hotel
LONDON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

First impressions when we arrived were mixed. The hotel seemed a somewhat baffling compromise between an aspiring boutique hotel and a youth hostel. Our room, a Standard Double Room, seemed dated. The bathroom in particular would have benefited from a refurbishment. There was a pervasive damp smell and peeling wallpaper and dark mold marks in several places.

The hotel's complimentary wifi seemed temperamental and unreliable. We were surprised to find the hotel only offered a single english language channel - CCTV.

The surrounding area has little appeal and the Red Wall Garden has little to offer instead for a relaxing hour or two before heading out to dinner. The breakfast room acted as bar and lacked atmosphere and ambience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Matt_M,

Thank you for taking the time to write to trip advisor. I am very sorry to learn that your experience was only average during your recent stay at the hotel. We take great pride at the level of service we offer but we clearly missed the mark in your eyes for which i can only apologize

I like to take this opportunity to look into your points at a little more detail with some feedback which might be useful for fellow trip advisor users:

1) Our hotel is a Hutong courtyard hotel, not built in the traditional way but we aim to create a homely but chinese feeling mixed with modern comforts. I understand you did not enjoy the style look and feel for which I am sorry but obviously I can not change this.
2) I take note of your point with regard to the bathroom which I understand is unacceptable and I can assure you will be dealt with immediately. My deepest apologies for this as this clearly is not to our usual standard and I will investigate in great detail.
3) The hotel does offer complimentary wifi throughout, Each room has an internet cable and we have 2 computer work stations on the second floor of the main building. We must have had some temporary glitches with our wifi and I have already asked our in-house technician to double check the system. I very much regret this happened during your stay and only hope it did not cause too much inconvenience.
4) The government of Beijing does not allow for "non international brand hotels" to show international TV channels. This is ignored by most "smaller" hotels and ver basic systems are used which are limited and unstable. We at the hotel do have CNN, HBO, Fox Sports but we do at certain times have issues. The future is, however, looking bright as it looks like the law will change and we will be able to have clear international channels. The exact date is however not set yet...........in the mean time ,Chinese TV (CCTV) has one english channel which is state owned and can be watched by all.
5) The hotel is centrally located in the very heart of the city in a very old but residential Hutong. Nothing is far away from here and the metro is 500 meters away which open up the whole city for anyone willing to explore. Most guests enjoy the tranquility of the courtyard and enjoy the proximity of Wangfucheng a 10 minutes walk, the night food market, a 25 minutes walk to Forbidden city or Tiananmen square, Lama Temple etc . I am pleased though to confirm that the restaurant will have a new look by January 2014 and you might have noticed that we are putting the final touches to the new cosy bar/lounge area with real fire places for our guests to enjoy.

I am sorry you felt your stay was only average as we aim to give everybody a 5 star service. Should you visit Beijing again ,do please contact me so I can take that extra care to make up for our shortcoming.

Best wishes

Robert van Eerde
Director
Hartlepool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Booked two rooms for my family of five. A Premier room for me and my wife and a Delux room with a roller way bed for my 3sons.
When we first arrived the front area looked cluttered with cars and the courtyard was in a bit off a mess, so first impressions was not very good. When we went into our premier room the windows were open so the room was very cold, I quickly shut them and switched on the heating. I can only describe the noise as sitting on top of a mountain with wind swirling around you. I called the main desk who quickly called for the handy man. All he did was clean the filters and then told me through the main desk that it was natural noise. There was no way anyone could sleep that noise so I was offered another room which was very nice but had no seats only beds and so I refused the room and just said that we would switch off the noise before we turned in. Give the hotel their credit the even found a small portable heater for us. Our next issue with the room was when we found blood on the walls in the bathroom, again the hotel manager was excellent, he even gave us that night free of charge.
Basically our premier room was cold,not clean and noisy and when your paying top £ I expect a good standard. My sons heating was just as noises but they just switched off the heating before going to sleep
In conclusion, my opinion is that the Red Wall Hotel is not the best but they always come up trumps with lifts and customer service. I think the heating is a problem they must cure.

Outside the hotel is a very very dark alley (we never felt afraid walking down it at anytime) but it is pitch black on a night. Getting a taxi to the hotel is a nightmare, most will only drop you off at the nearest metro station about 500m away but you will have to stop 3 or 4 before you get one.

Eating out, we always went away from the area to eat as there was not many clean looking places close to the hotel, but thanks again to Philip who came up with a great place to visit and eat.

If anyone thinks I am just moaning over nothing, please look at my other reviews as I always try to be fair with my reviews.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Monkeyhanger,

First of all may I apologize for not meeting your expectation during your recent stay at our hotel. We have recently moved to Number 1 on Trip Advisor in Beijing of which we are extremely proud and our aim is to continue being number one. We understand we are not perfect and we always aim to learn when there are shortcomings. On this occasion a few mistakes were made for which we make no excuses and thank you pointing this out. . I quickly like to reiterate however that our mistakes seem rare indeed , as clearly acknowledged by most fellow trip advisor users.

I would like to take the opportunity however to respond to your points raised and for other trip advisors to take note.

1) Our boutique hotel is located in a traditional , authentic Hutong and unlike most Hutong hotels we have the luxury of having an underground car park hidden from the customers eyes. We are also grateful to have limited space for our guests to park their car, in order to unload and check in. As the hotel is extremely busy and when we had a few arrivals at the same time it might have looked a little disorderly as there is only space for 3 cars. We like to think, however, that people prefer to get out of their car in a traffic free area, rather than in the middle of the street with more privacy and better service. During your stay I am sure you will have noticed that we take great care to keep this area neat and tidy with the cars facing outwards whenever possible. Your point ,however is well taken.
2) In the courtyard some tables were indeed missing as another house guest had a small party so 5 tables were moved elsewhere. It was already early evening as we timed it in such a way that it had the least affect on our customers so the area looked a little more bare than normal. I understand what you are saying and the courtyard would have looked better with all the tables in place and candles on the table.
3) Upon your arrival the room was too cool as the housekeeping had left a window open. I understand this is unacceptable and entirely our mistake. There indeed was a slightly unusual noise coming from your A/C unit and we did find the fault . I do think the message you received was confusion in translation as we found a heater for you immediately as we knew the unit was faulty. I was not aware of the issue with your sons room which is a little odd as nothing was mentioned and all seems ok now in this room. I accept of course fully that your situation was unacceptable and we must do better than that. My sincere apologies.
4) Mechanical failures can always happen wherever once stays but the blood on the wall is 100% unacceptable. As you can see and read from fellow trip advisor we receive amazing compliments on our cleanliness so this was highly unusual. I have investigated this thoroughly and I can only assume that our member of the team must have cut themselves whilst cleaning your room as your obsrvation was a day later. We take great pride in our standards which is why I refused to charge you as I will not accept this standard whatever the situation in our hotel. We know we can not make a mistake like this and once again my deepest apologies for this shortcoming.
5) Shijia Hutong is in the heart of Beijing in a really great location for most people. We are surrounded by many restaurants so I am a little surprised that you could not find anything. We have for example 1949 5 minutes walk away, Da Dong famous for it's duck, Little Buddha Cafe at the end of the Hutong just to name a few. The problems experienced in Beijing with Taxis is common and not due to our location but more due to a lack of taxis . This is a well know problem and we mention this to all our guests in our welcome letter. I have not heard of a taxi not dropping you of at your requested destination and I am going to look into this as i have never heard of this, so thank you for pointing this out. Every Hutong is different and we happen to be quite famous because of some residents living here and we do have beautiful trees. Yes therefore a little darker but as you wrote no issues with safety here.

I am glad however that you thought the hotel offered good recommendations and that our service "will always come up trumps" . Once again thank you for your feedback and my apologies for the shortcomings, I know we will work on this and we will only get better.

Robert
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Welcoming low rise hotel built around a courtyard. Great beds, good staff, outstanding multi- lingual staff member in bar/ restaurant.

Location is good, easy walk to restaurants and general shopping. Ten minutes to a very busy McDonalds for a change of breakfast. 25 minutes to the Forbidden City. This is a relaxing gem in a fairly traditional area. Local English language papers available.

Room Tip: There are only 3 levels, but stairs no lift. 50 steps to the upper level, which has a nice seating a...