“Better for kids than adults” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #183 of 1,463 things to do in Beijing
Beijing, China
40 attraction reviews
“Better for kids than adults”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I've been here a few times, both to the dedicated children's playing hall downstairs and the general exhibition halls upstairs. Overall, one might sum it up by saying what once was is no more. That is, it was great when it first opened but now, and after only a few years, it has become shoddy and really needs a good overhaul.

My most recent visit was during holidays so the place was incredibly busy. However, this is really no excuse to allow the toilets to get up the stink that they do nor to be content to dump open black bin bags on the floor and allow rubbish to accumulate. Well done to the girl who attempted, albeit in vain, to point a mother to the toilets before her toddler was held over the bin to their business while Granny went to get a mop. Nice. Good to see that those 5000 years of civilization I hear so much about are evidenced in everyday behaviour.

Whilst it is an impressive building, its content suffers from neglect. I lost count of the number of broken things and many of the instructions had worn away from repeated touching. The English is a bit limited too in most areas. Even generally, the fittings appear scruffy and the floor really, really needs a thorough clean. It's as if the management simply don't care.

On the positive side, there remains enough to keep the youngsters occupied for at least a couple of hours but I think most adults would soon find it frustrating and uninformative. I was glad to leave.

Visited August 2013

Lisbon, Portugal
54 attraction reviews
“Great potential, if only things weren't broken down...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This science museum's children's section was really cool and had the potential to be one of the best we'd been to but....a lot of things were broken. I can understand why, there were a thousand kids there (ona rainy Wednesday in July) and it is bound to be so. I saw many things that had been 'repaired' but looked like children's science experiments of their own. I also got the feeling that there was a whole other section we were missing....the 'adult' part of the museum. My kids would likely have enjoyed that more as I would assume there would be less kids but, I tried to ask for that ticket as well when I purchased the entrance tickets, but my Mandarin is limited and the woman at the counter spoke an equally limited amount of English and told me, 'No, not for you.' Maybe she was trying to say we would like he kids part better but it was just another frustration of going to a tourist venue in Beijing where no one spoke enough English to understand. Please don't think I expect English everywhere, I'd be happy with Portuguese, or Spanish or Greek, but English is the lingua franca of the day.

Visited July 2013
Chengdu, China
159 attraction reviews
“Somewhere to go on a rainy day”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Beware! some hotels are giving out tourist maps with this museum in it's former location! It has moved to new and impressive buildings just north of the Olympic Park. It is well laid out and all hands on but so little is bilingual it is hard to learn or understand much. Try riding a bicycle on a tightrop or, pedalling a wind bike but don't hand around for the robot show. The adult size robot no longer works and has been replaced by 4 toys that really are not worth watching! The restaurant in the basement serves a value for money western style buffet though. Try it but don't expect anything extraordinary.

Visited January 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 attraction reviews
“Needs Work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We added the Science and Tech Museum as part of our tour to provide a break between historical/cultural sights. Additionally, we thought this might be something our children ages 10 and 14 might find interesting. We've been to several S&T museums throughout the years with our kids. I have to say that Beijing's has the potential to be one of the best I've seen. There are several floors with many good hands on exhibits, covering many different fields. Some fields that are very current by today's technological standards. The major drawback, as is mentioned in several other reviews, is that many of the exhibits are not working. There are a few others that are working, but appear to have been fixed by a 12 year old. They also have some good exhibits on the top floor, but the exhibit information in only in Mandarin. Throughout the rest of the museum, exhibits are generally both in Mandarin and English. My family is originally from the US, but we currently live in the Middle East. The day we visited, there were several Beijing schools visiting. Three students approached my son, introduced themselves, and had a conversation with my son, discussing how they learn and practice English. My son thought this was great. My 10 year old daughter also had a good time. There are several gift stores, snack areas, and ATMs in the museum. To be 5-star however, they need to better maintain there exhibits. Probably worth a Stop if your kids are interested in this kind of stuff, and are on cultural/historical overload, just set their expectations that not all exhibits work. Visited Dec 2012.

Beijing
17 attraction reviews
“Museum made by plastic”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Museum located in Olympic park entrance fee 30 rmb. Absolutely not worth to visit. Different halls present a different period of time. Most of exhibitions are cheap looking copies, feel like visit in kinder garden where everything is made a solid that kids could not broken it. If nothing else to do or have a small kids, maybe then it worth to visit.

Visited September 2012