“Highlight of our trip!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hutong Cuisine

Hutong Cuisine
35 Dengcao Hutong | Dongsi South Street, Dong Cheng District, Beijing 100009, China
010-84014788
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

I found out about Chunyi Zhou's "hutong cuisine" cooking class on TripAdvisor and I'm so glad we took an afternoon to attend one. It is truly an "off the beaten path" experience and one we won't forget.

Chunyi is VERY nice, funny and accomodating. Her English is great. Her "hutong" is a great setting for the class, and made the experience so authentically Chinese. She has a cute dog she calls "Dodo" who is friendly with class members.

We booked a Tuesday class which included recipes for Kung Pao Chicken, Stir Fry Chicken with vegetables, steamed fish, and a ginger custard. WOW... this food was amazing! Definitely way better than American Chinese takeout. She explains everything so easily and I'll definitely be using her tips in my home cooking.

The class is also a great deal, about $30 USD. The class was a mix of study abroad students, expat wives and travelers... about 6 of us total.

After the class make sure you walk around the hutong area, it is so charming. Don't miss Nanluoguxiang Road with it's trendy young shops!

Siem Reap, Cambodia
7 attraction reviews
“Great cooking class, would highly recommend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

In Beijing I took a fantastic cooking class from Zhou Chunyi, who has a cooking school called Hutong Cuisine. Chunyi is remarkably laid back and funny, qualities on which my enjoyment of the classes usually hinge, and that I have found that are that are often lacking in cooking instructors.

She's from the Cantonese-speaking part of China, trained in Sichuan and lives in Beijing, so she's well qualified to teach on China's most popular styles. In the class I took, we made a Cantonese-style dish (said to be sweeter and more delicate), a Beijing dish (said to be heavier and saltier) and a Sichuan-style dish (spicy).

If you're looking for a cooking class in Beijing, I'd enthusiastically recommend Hutong Cuisine. It's cheap and it's fun, and the menus appear to be very flexible. She also does private cooking classes if there's something you're dying to learn.