“Another Big Let Down In China” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Forbidden City Music Hall

Forbidden City Music Hall
Inside Zhongshan Garden, West Changan Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #61 of 1,198 Attractions in Beijing
Type: Theaters, Landmarks
More attraction details
Owner description: Music Hall Venue for Ochestral Music, Opera,etc
Preston, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
“Another Big Let Down In China”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

From all the pre-reading we did, we were really looking forward to touring the Forbidden City during our tour of China. What a let down it turned out to be. Yes, it's a big complex, but there is a huge monotony to the buildings and courtyards and, given it's past use, difficult to believe there are virtually no gardens / green spaces.

Visited May 2014

• Indonesian first
Calgary, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Great Landmark surrounded by Thieves”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Forbidden city in central Beijing is a great historical landmark, so are many other sites - Tiananmen Square, Temple of Heaven etc. However, city police and tourism authorities are not doing enough to protect non-Chinese tourists who are often cheated out of money by rogue taxi and three wheeler drivers. We hopped on to to a three wheeler after agreeing a fare of 20 Yuan from Forbidden City to Temple of Heaven. The guy drove us through isolated streets and after a short ride told us to get off pointing vaguely in one direction. When we asked to show us the destination, he became very aggressive and demanded payment. I paid him 20 Yuan. He demanded 30, which I paid thinking this to be a small price to get out of a undesirable position. Then I flashed a card showing 300 Yuan which we ignored and walked away. This can be very scary and dangerous experience for ladies travelling alone. These crooks are operating freely and Chinese authorities are to be blamed for this criminal activity. I would suggest - stay away from Beijing - its extremely crowded and unsafe.

Visited July 2014
Eance, France
23 attraction reviews
“Mind blowing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

One of those places I'd heard about, always wanted to visit, but never, for an instant, ever thought I'd get there.
The reality certainly lived up to expectation.
Palace after palace, room after room, museum after museum. Just a wonderful place to visit and feast the eyes on how life was.
It was a really hot day, if you intend to visit in summer take plenty of water with you, its available inside but not cheap.
The toilets were spotless, which is quite a feat considering how many people were there the day we visited.
Dont take lighters with you. A brief walk around Tianamen square beforehand showed many fire extinguishers, there to put out anyone who tries to self immolate. There is a paranoia regarding petrol all around the major tourist sites in China, so always best to travel without a lighter.
The metro is excellent, you can stop at either Tianamen East or Tianamen West, they both lead you to the Forbidden City.
Definitely worth a day's visit, we spent around 5 hours here, and could easily have stayed longer if it hadn't shut. A must see if you're in Beijing.

Visited June 2014
mexico
“Beware the motorcicle taxis steal aggressively”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We was finishing our visit with my girlfriend and we were walking to the subway, then a guy on a motorcicle offer us a ride for 3yuans each one,we decided to take it and after a block he asked me to ride on another motorcicle forma a best ride telling us that the other driver was cooworker with him, them I did it was quickly and I didnt try to suspect what was happen , the other ridder was more slowly than me so I was starting nervous,and looking behind to search my girlfriend then they turn left on an alone and ugly street and stop in the middle of the street and told us that the "subway " is located walking on the right direction over that ugly street and ask us to get down, so we look alone and decided return starting walk and they asked us to pay them we were taking the 6yuans and one guy show us a card that says 300yuans sothey asked us for 300 andwe said no and they started to be aggessif so de grave gim 300 and start to run over the street that was an horrible experience ... Please be ware

Visited June 2014
Melbourne, Australia
23 attraction reviews
“Must Visit Forbidden City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

An Amazing palace, wonderful to experience how the emperors lived and their lifestyles.
Great experience learning about Chinese history history.

TIP: Don't pay for the expensive tour, instead get the head set for only $10US and follow the guide
My brother and I have an amazing time spending all day visiting all the gardens and palaces the forbidden city had to offer. Definitely take a camera the pictures would be priceless.

Happy Traveling :)