“Sidecar Magic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Side-car Motorcycles Trips - Beijing Sideways

Side-car Motorcycles Trips - Beijing Sideways
XinFuCun Zhong Lu - JinXiuYuan, Apt C401 - Gloria Garden (JinXiuYuan), XingFuCun ZhongLu, Chaoyang district, Beijing 100009, China
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 240 activities in Beijing
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Beijing Sideways provides you with a sideways look of China, Beijing and its surrounding.Aboard our vintage sidecar motorbike, we show the Beijing we love, without the crowds.This form of transportation allows us to be very flexible with our exploration, stopping easily whenever necessary, a very close proximity with the city and countryside where you can «almost touch» anything you see, but above all it’s a sightseeing wonder! Did we mention it’s extremely fun?
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Auckland, New Zealand
“Sidecar Magic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

OK so we were a little nervous not quite sure what we had let ourselves in for with this Beijing by Night Sidecar holiday but it turned out to be one of the highlights of our holiday in Bejing and was great fun. Ricardo picked us up from our hotel and had extra jackets and gloves for us as we were hopelessly underdressed and then proceeded to take us on the back streets right up to the entrace to the Forbidden City which was stunning by night and empty. We had the whole place to ourselves (excluding the couple of curious guards) and it was a stark contrast to earlier in the day when it felt like the whole city had descended onto the complex. Anyway the next 2 hours were so informative, exhilirating and rewarding thanks to the speedy mode of transport, Ricardo's passion for the city and the beauty of the huge city at night. Whilst this isn't for the faint hearted if you are looking for something truly memorable to do in Beijing then this is a must. If you are hesitant about a sidecar on the Beijing roads, then I can only say Ricardo did a great job and beyond that I would tell him to ride slower. There are great cycle lanes in Beijing which he could easily navigate. Enjoy...

Visited April 2013

Atlanta, GA USA
29 attraction reviews
“Thrilling and Unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This stands out as one of the most unique experiences, ever. It was a blast - but NOT for those tourists who are looking for a ride at Disney World. Ricardo, my Italian sideways driver was nothing short of a world class expert and an interesting conversationalist. Prior to climbing into the sidecar Ricardo asked "what type of experience I'd prefer". My response was "how good are you at driving and avoiding a wreck?" And, off we went for a thrill ride and outstanding experience...........tremendous. The company will provide warm clothing for those who are not prepared and did so for many on my tourmates who didn't heed the cold weather warning. The area you will visit is remote and a steep climb so you need to be in reasonably good cardiac condition and not fearful of heights (I am aged mid 60's and in good physical condition). The lunch "on The Wall" was very tasty complete with multiple course, french bread and desert. Next time I'm in Beijing I'll do this again and would like to also hit the city tour. Hopefully, Ricardo will still be on the play.

Los Angeles
4 attraction reviews
“Memorable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We went to the Great Wall with Beijing Sideways on a cold day. We were concerned by the temperature but the team provided us with coats, blankets, and we were well protected in the side cars. The driving was according to ¨Chinese standards¨, hectic, but at no time we felt unsafe. All 4 drivers were very good pilots and worked well as a team. They took us to a deserted part of the Wall. It was an unforgettable experience. Kevine, our French guide, was very knowledgeable about Chinese culture and history, and always made sure we were all comfortable. He prepared a nice meal on top of the Wall, wine and dessert included. The whole experience was very enjoyable. We loved it and are thankful for the memories!

beijing
“Amazing experience of Beijing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I spent one week in Beijing in March with my husband, a friend told me to book a Beijing Sideways tour so did I. And it happened to be the best thing I did during this trip and even in the travels I made !
The guide (a French guy living there) took us around a city I would never have visited without him! Through the modern areas, he told us about architecture, through the hutong we saw the real life of the beijingers, we even stopped to eat some pancakes (bing) in the street, we discovered some hidden temples and fabulous view of the city... I was thrilled in the sidecar, the guide was driving through the traffic, we went fast from a place to another and he never put us in danger ! the weather was not that warm, Gael, the boss lend us some jackets and blankets and I really had a comfortable trip !
I totally recommend Beijing Sideways for a trip in Beijing and around, my friend (who recommended Beijjng Sideways to us) did the Great Wall trip and he loved it too !

Lisboa
“Undoubtedly a love / hate experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Spending the day with Beijing Sideways on the Great Wall Tour was in every sense an unforgettable experience. The trip was a birthday present to my younger son, who turned fifteen on that day.
To be honest, we loved the tour and will never forget it. The guide, Kevin, was very nice and the Chinese drivers were both nice and funny. Lunch was great (I missed the promised champagne, though) and that section of the Wall was unbeatable. I would love to say that it was excellent.
Why rate it as terrible then? Because it is dangerous. No matter how experienced the drivers are, accidents do happen. Motorbikes did not exactly inspire confidence and the speedometer of at least two of the bikes was not working. For me there is a clear difference between driving in the city or on land roads. In the city traffic is intense, not very quick and everybody is breaking the rules. You understand what it means to drive Beijing way. I come from a country where driving is not exemplary and therefore I took the drive in the city quite easily.
However off the city I cannot accept that drivers take unnecessary risks. Since I was driving behind the other bikes (my two sons in front of me), I had to witness at least two moving passes that made my blood ran cold. One time even my driver had to hold his breath while the first bike just managed to make the moving pass in time not to crash against a van!
This is a point that could easily be fixed by establishing some simple safety rules: no hurry, no moving pass on the curves, no driving against the traffic. Some sort of incentive for the drivers could have to be implemented, since they apparently see no point in driving differently.

Visited March 2013
Traf, Propriétaire at Side-car Motorcycles Trips - Beijing Sideways, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
We take security very seriously. I am so glad you can say that you loved the tour and will never forget it, that you found the French guide Kevin and the Chinese drivers, nice and funny (because they love what they do), that lunch was great and the section of the wall unbeatable.

But I am more disappointed that despite all this you kept above all the feeling of danger. I agree with you, accident do happen, that's why we take security seriously and we do have implemented safety rules. You might have not realized but our drivers communicate with signs to signal go or no go for overtaking. I am sure these moving passed were taken with great precaution. Now the fact that your blood ran cold is not something we can accept and I'll investigate to make sure it does not happen again. I am sorry we left you this feeling of danger.
We are proud to say that after 5 years taking these roads regularly we have no accident to report. These speedometers that you mention are indeed not in their prime but you've noticed that all our bikes have modern disk braking system. I think in your bike the speedometer was working and the maximum speed our old machine goes is really about 60 km/ h (37m/h) in straight line. In the mountains we are more in the 40km/h. So no risk of over speeding.

About the champagne: It's my fault. I proposed you as a gesture over the booking process to offer you a bottle of sparkling wine to celebrate your son's birthday but as he was turning 15, I asked you if it was OK. Waiting for your answer I did not write it down and we never talked about it after. Sorry for that too.

I hope with time you'll only keep the Love/never forget memory of this tour.

Been to Side-car Motorcycles Trips - Beijing Sideways? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Side-car Motorcycles Trips - Beijing Sideways, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later