“"Superb"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Beijing

You added Fairmont Beijing to your Saves list
Fairmont Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.8 Yong'an Dongli, Jianguo Menwai Main Street, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100022, China (Guomao)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free CNY500 hotel credits
Ranked #11 of 5,423 Hotels in Beijing
4.5 of 5 stars 744 Reviews
Toronto
“"Superb"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Compared to other Asian standards the lobby which was beautiful did not compare to the 5 stars one would expect until you get to your room.
The room was by far the most high tech and luxurious I have seen in a while. It was very large with a huge bathroom and tub. The amenities would gorgeous and it was impossible not have a long bath with all of the wonderful bath products available. The bedding was silk all the way with gorgeous lightweight but warm duvets. The location was excellent as it was a short walk to the subway or silk market across the street as well as restaurants etc.
Food in the restaurant and service in the Executive lounge was excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear grandame,

Thank you for the great review! It's so great to hear that you enjoyed your room! We try to think of your every need and provide your rooms with every amenity that would make your stay with us absolutely perfect. You're right, the array of bath products and tub are irresistible. A long relaxing bath and a restful night's sleep is the perfect way to end a day after sightseeing Beijing. We hope to have you back with us again, soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

This was our 3rd time to Beijing but our first time staying at The Fairmont and we were very impressed. Stayed in Gold Room and the service levels are excellent ....from the minute we arrived we were treated like royalty, from serving coffee while we checked in at the Club Lounge to a very helpful concierge team explaining and booking tours for us. The rooms are large and elegant and the breakfast in the Club Lounge is very good. We also dined at The Cut (steak restaurant) within the hotel which is expensive but worth every penny as the food is fantastic. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again when next in Beijing

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Annie58UK,
Thank you for your kind words and wonderful feedback. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and was impressed with our product and service. We thank you for your recommendation to other readers and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Safe travels!
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Fairmont is definitely my favorite choice in Beijing. The hotel is on one side still fairly young, so rooms and infrastructure are in great condition, on the other side they have had already enough experience and service, restaurant, breakfast etc. runs very smooth, unlike other hotels that just newly opened.
Also the location is great, as it s not too far away from the 3rd ring road, so whether for business travelers or leisure, you wont lose too much time in the traffic. it also has a subway station nearby and it's not in an isolated area, so plenty of possibilities to go out in the evening. There a a few bars not far away, restaurants, shopping etc.
Service is always top notch, and all my extra wishes are always well taken care of. Also the restaurants are great and no matter if Western or Chinese, a great place to impress friends or clients alike. Since I am frequently in Beijing I went through a lot of 5* Hotels and I settled with Fairmont as the hotel totally fulfills all my needs, offers great service at a top location combined with a great value for money ratio.

Room Tip: Fairmont Gold or Junior Suite.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dolmala,

Thank you for such a great review! I'm so happy to hear that we're your favorite Choice for hotels in Beijing! You're right, our restaurants are absolutely delicious and it's great to hear that you love entertaining clients and friends alike at them.
It is always a pleasure to hear that we've accomplished our goal in making your experience with us as special and comfortable as possible. We hope to have you back with us again, soon!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

How nice it was to arrive after the flight from Toronto to be assigned a magnificent upgraded room which included access to the business lounge where we could enjoy some tranquility plus free snacks and drinks. Charming staff and great location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear KiwiCanadians,

Thank you for such a nice review! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Our Gold Lounge is a great place to enjoy some relaxation time over some nice drinks. I'm happy to know that you took the time to enjoy it. Hope to see you back with us again, soon!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Check-in was very efficient. We had a package consisting of a deluxe room and breakfast. Everything checked out and we were in our room in a matter of minutes. Nice size room, great view, king size bed, clean with a large bathroom.

We arrived late so we grabbed a light meal downstairs at the Lobby Lounge. The food and wine were very good but there was a limited selection and it was expensive. The “Resident musician” provided some easy listening music - nice touch. The Lobby Lounge provided a relaxed atmosphere, just what is needed after a long day of flights and taxies.

We used the concierge service to get information on getting around Beijing, to set up a day trip to the Great Wall, and for restaurant recommendations and reservations. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. The concierges were a great source of information, very dependable and friendly. They definitely helped make our stay in Beijing a memorable and enjoyable experience.

One evening we ate at the Lunar 8 restaurant, downstairs in the hotel. The restaurant boasted they have one of the best Peking duck diners in Beijing. They advised us to make a reservation and order the Peking duck in advance so we did. We were advised that a half duck would be sufficient for both of us. The Peking duck was absolutely delicious and the service was very good. I would add, however, that the Peking duck portion of was too small for two - a bit disappointing. If you plan on having the Peking duck as the main course with no additional side dishes I would recommend you order a whole duck not a half.

Breakfast was included in the price of our package, and was served downstairs at the Lunar 8 restaurant. It was very good, good quality and selection. I would recommend including the breakfast as part of your package as there are not many places to have breakfast close by the Hotel.

We stayed at the Fairmont Beijing for six nights. The staff was always friendly and courteous. The hotel is located near public transportation and shopping (Metro and Silk Market - 5 minute walk). Limited number of restaurants located within walking distance of the Hotel. Overall we quite enjoyed the Fairmont Beijing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Steven_B390,

Thank you very much for the great review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm so happy to hear that you had the chance to enjoy some traditional Peking duck! The duck at Lunar 8 really is amongst the top in Beijing. I'm sorry to hear that the portions were too small. You're right, the resident musician, Tim Ambler, is very nice to listen at night, especially after a long day of sight seeing. We're really glad that you chose to stay at Fairmont during your trip to Beijing. We hope to have you back with us again, soon!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My partner and I were looking forward to a few nights in Beijing, after a 15 night voyage on the Diamond Princess, from Alaska to Tianjin, this month - October. We could have opted for a train ride into Beijing but decided to take a bus from the port, as it was facilitated by Princess. Good thing as the smog was terrible this day.

We enjoy the 5-star luxury and service level of Fairmont. I work in Hospitality in San Francisco, as head of HR so am accustomed to exemplary guest services. We have hired several from the Fairmont group, needless to say, we were thrilled with the package we received. We opted for the Gold upgrade. We communicated several months before-hand with this property, in what our needs were. We asked for a driver to pick us up where the bus was letting off post cruisers...a hotel just 10-12 minutes away. The day before we arrived in Tianjin, we were contacted by Elsie - Concierge. She wanted to confirm a time for our pick up, by a driver who worked for, or was contracted with Fairmont.

We told her the time we were expected to be dropped off at the Marriott City Wall Hotel, around 3:30 PM. Due to extreme smog in Tianjin, the freeway was closed for 2-hours, and hundreds of busses and cars were in gridlock, waiting. I called Elsie to let her know the time had changed and we would be late. The times I told her (via e-mail and over the phone) were estimate times, being aware of Beijing traffic congestion. At approximately 2:30 PM, I called Elsie to let her know that because of the smog, we would not be in until closer to 4 or 4:30, hopefully the latest. She thanked us for the call.

At 4:15 PM, we called Elsie back to tell her we were about 45-minutes away and the bus driver told us we would pull into the hotel (where the Fairmont driver was to pick us up) just after 5 PM. Elsie was professional, but appeared flustered and told us that the driver had been waiting there for an hour! She said that he would pick us up after 5 PM but that instead of 65 Yuan, we would be charged 200 Yuan, per person!! She said that we had to pay this higher rate because the driver had been waiting an hour, when we specifically e-mailed, then called twice to advise her of the time, WELL BEFORE WE ARRIVED. At this point, we did not choose to argue with her because we did not want to fluster her, and be stranded at another hotel. We kept our mouth shut because we needed a driver, and wanted desperately to check into our hotel and rest.

To say I was livid is an understatement. We are professionals and always communicate - especially working in hospitality, we understand the importance of it. I was very upset but my partner asked me to let it go, we were in a foreign country and did not want us to cause problems. I will say now, I felt that the Fairmont Beijing was terribly inconsiderate, rude and wanted me to be their "problem" for having their driver dispatched too early. I do know that we showed up at the hotel 20 minutes later, after the last call, and there was nothing we could do. If anyone, a 5-star hotel in Beijing should understand traffic and smog issues.

Now that the ugliest part of this review is over, I will say that our suite was immaculate. The shower, tub, bottled water, turn-down service with slippers and robes, was amazing. First Class all the way. The service at the front desk upon check-in was somewhat spotty. When Elsie greeted us at the door, she should have told us to "go up to the Gold Floor for check-in" but she did not. Thus, we went into the que and waited 15-minutes to be checked-in. When I told the agent our reservation number, she told me I should go upstairs to check in. After being misled and gouged with the driving ordeal, waiting in line for 15-minutes, I was not going to go to another floor and wait - just to get checked in. I guess because I opted to check-in downstairs, the agent neglected to share with me all of the amenities on the Gold Floor (cocktails, breakfast, canapés, etc.). I had to find this out later. I wish she would have known to think through this.

Room service was amazing. It was probably our best meal. The service was gracious and speedy. The Fairmont's command of English was fabulous and we never had any problems. Getting directions to the Silk Market the next day, from the front desk, was very easy. Exchanging money and getting smaller bills was easy as well. Wonderful service. The spa was immaculate and probably one of the finest spas we have visited. Excellent!!

The Gold Lounge was another high point. The ladies who worked therein were very accommodating and gracious. They remembered who we were each time we went in, for bottled water, wine, breakfast, coffee, etc. They insisted upon making our Cappuccinos and special coffee drinks, and even making them for take-away! They were a pleasure!

We ordered Peking Duck in Lunar 8. Service was spotty there. We ordered 1/2 duck but when the gentleman was carving it, it was very, very lean - barely enough to feed 2 people. My other half and I thought he must have reserved a portion of our 1/2 for something else! In any event, it was OK.

Except for the severe miscommunication regarding the driver (which we were wrongfully charged) and the Peking Duck / service - Our time spent at the Fairmont Beijing was restful and the service, overall great.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed three nights at the Fairmont Beijing in an upgraded "Gold" room which was without a doubt the nicest hotel room I have ever stayed in. The room was large and luxurious, the bed extremely comfortable. Staff was helpful and courteous and attentive, food in both "The Cut" and "Lunar 8" was outstanding.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear K E,

Thank you for such a great review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to enjoy The Cut and Lunar 8. I hope you also took advantage of the Gold Lounge located on the 20th floor where we have daily happy hour. We hope to have you back with us again, soon!

Been to Fairmont Beijing? Share your experiences!