“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Beijing

Save Saved
You added Fairmont Beijing to your Saves list
Fairmont Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.8 Yong'an Dongli, Jianguo Menwai Main Street, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100022, China (Guomao)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
35% Off Room Rate
Ranked #5 of 5,414 Hotels in Beijing
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and a group of about 40 in August 2011 for a tour of the sights around Beijing. The rooms were so comfortable that it seemed to be a shame to head out each day!! Every aspect of this hotel was excellent quality, from the bathroom to the bose sound system and amongst a group of well traveled people, it was considered by everyone to be one of the best hotels that any of us had stayed in. We were however amused/concerned to find velvet bags containing gasmasks. Breakfasts were a treat and all up I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear rhogan29,

Thank you for your review! We're very glad that you enjoyed your stay with your husband here. You're right, the beds are extremely comfortable! We want to make sure you have the best sleep possible before heading out and exploring the city. :) Don't worry about the gas masks. Every hotel in China is required to place them in guest's rooms. They're there in case there's a fire to help you evacuate without inhaling smoke. It's been a while since you've been in Beijing. The city has changed a quite a bit since 2011. I hope you coming back and visit us again, soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have stayed at Fairmont Beijing many times since 2010, this time I was transit from SFO via PEK to TPE stayed only one night and leave the next day. Since I am a FPC member, check in and gold team knows exactly what I need in the room and at gold lounge. In room check in, they took my passport and said "we will do the rest, you relax a bit and see you in the lounge." My favorite white wine is on my preferred table and favorite finger food is there too! I was very impressed with Jessie, she is so detail oriented that I don't have to worry after I wrote her a note what she needs to do. I need to write some Chinese email and send some docs to a vendor, After 15 min or so, I received that email to vendor and copied me. I have never experienced this in any other hotel. If next time you travel to BJ, please try Fairmont Beijing you'll know!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear jclearjet35,

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Fairmont Beijing on your way to TPE. Thank you for giving us a 5 star rating! Your favourite white wine will be waiting for you at your preferred table with your favourite finger food again the next time you visit us in Beijing. I hope the next time you're able to stay longer and try our signature steakhouse on the 2nd floor called The Cut. It's absolutely amazing! Hope to see you back in BJ again soon!
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our stay here was very nice, breakfast selections good, but the hotel itself is much newer and without the ambiance of the Fairmont Peace Hotel in Shanghai. What I really want to tell is the helpfulness of guest services when my husband's credit card was 'kept' by the ATM across the street connected to the Communist Construction Bank. This happened on our last day and, of course, my husband was not leaving Beijing without it. The lady at guest services accompanied him to the bank and helped him navigate the system and the language barrier in order to retrive his card. I would suggest using the ATM next door to the hotel as several in our group did without a problem (apparently it has an English translation which the one across the street did not). The gas masks in the closet were a little unnerving ( I hope for pollution purposes only). We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear geege7056,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We're very sorry that you and your husband had to go through that experience but we're very glad that our guest services were able to help your husband retrieve his credit card from the ATM. Regarding the gas masks in the rooms. Don't worry. By Chinese law all hotels are required to provide their rooms with gas masks in case of fire. This is to prevent our guests from smoke inhalation in such an event. We hope to see you and your husband back in Beijing again soon!
Oulu, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Rooms were spacious and with pretty much everything I ever need of my hotel room. Ironing possibility, good TV, very nice bath, separate TV for bath, shower, free water bottles, network access, even set of miscellaenous cables for computer, coffee machine, etc. I considered the room as one of the best ones I've ever been. Breakfast was very good, but not as good as the room was.

I also conside this very good location for hotel. Silk market is close by, Guo Mao station in walking distance, etc.

I don't have much experience of room services, lounge or spa, since I didn't use them. Anyway, I recommend this hotel and hopefully there are free rooms for me also for my next visits.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Eksu,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay! It really means so much to hear that our rooms are amongst the best you've stayed at! Thank you for the compliment. We like to make our rooms as spacious as possible because Beijing is already a crowded city, it's nice to come back to your own personal space with everything from comfortable beds to flat screen TVs. We hope to see you back with us again soon!
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My recent stay was as expected - good solid service a la Fairmont style. The room on Gold Floor delivered the Fairmont promise, as you expect. The Steak Restaurant though was a bit disapppointing as no Canadian Pinot Noir available, no Canadian Tenderloin...Spa is very cool - built between the towers with great views.
It's a good hotel, felt safe and well taken care off - it delivers the expected without exciting or surprising.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear MrReeder,

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us during your trip to Beijing. I'm sorry to hear that you weren't satisfied with our steakhouse The Cut. It's rated the best steak in Beijing. You're right, there's no Canadian tenderloin. We import most of ours from Australia. I'm glad you were able to enjoy our pool during your stay. It's such a great place to relax after a long day in the city. Hope to see you again, soon!
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife, two daughters (ages 7 & 10) and I stayed at the Fairmont Beijing for 3 nights in August.

Hotel first impression
We arrived at the hotel around 12:00PM on a Saturday after enduring Beijing’s stop and go traffic from the airport. The hotel building is really interesting and unique, during the day it has a rose color that I have never seen before. We had never stayed at a Fairmont before and we were excited for this new experience. The hotel is surrounded by office buildings with small shops/restaurants, and as it was Saturday, the area was pretty quiet which was fine with us. The bellhop opened the taxi door and welcomed us and promptly took our bags out of the taxi and loaded them up on his luggage cart.

Check-in process / front desk service
This was an area that Fairmont is different than other hotels. Fei Fei helped check us in and she was warm, friendly and knowledgeable. She confirmed we booked a room with two beds (more on this shortly), and she then proceeded to introduce the hotel to us starting in the lobby, all the way up to our room. I’ve never been shown up to my room by the front desk, and this was definitely a nice experience.

What surprised me was that after the fantastic service by Fei Fei, for the remainder of our stay we were never greeted or acknowledged by anyone in the lobby area although there were plenty of hotel employees around at any given time. Pretty strange because in all the other hotels we stayed at, people kept greeting us when we were coming or going.

Lobby
The lobby is nicely done, compared to other hotels was somewhat smaller, but not in a negative way. A lot of hotels have gigantic lobbies with wasted space, this felt more intimate and upscale. If you look up, you’ll see a dragon chandelier hung from the ceiling. There is a bar right next to the main lobby which looked real nice and comfortable.

Room
We were initially given a room on the 20th floor which I guess is an upgraded room, but since we didn’t pay additional for Gold, we would not have any Gold privileges. OK, that’s fine, and since I joined the frequent stay program, we had free Wi-Fi in the room which was an added bonus. Fei Fei took us in the room and we immediately noticed the beds were a lot smaller than expected. Up to this point we had stayed in three previous hotels in China (2 Hilton, 1 Westin), all of which we booked two bed rooms, all of which were essentially doubles. On my booking with Fairmont the confirmation I must have had a brain fart, but I could have sworn it said 2 double beds. Well, these were not 2 double beds, they were 2 twin beds. There was a small sofa in the corner and we thought it may be a pullout, but after taking all the cushions off, we thought wrong. Fei Fei had left the room and we discussed what to do next – we thought about staying, but ultimately decided to switch to a king bed room because we could at least fit three of us in there, and the smallest could sleep on the couch. The front desk was accommodating and helpful, and we moved from the 20th floor to a “regular” room on the 16th floor. The room had a different color scheme, but other than that, it was pretty much the same room.

The room is a standard Chinese hotel room layout with the bed, desk, sofa, TV in the main room, and the bathroom had three separate areas (toilet, shower, sink/tub). The kids were super excited as there was a toilet seat bidet. Bidets are not common in the US, so we had never enjoyed the use of a bidet, and this was indeed a bonus for us all. We also liked the view, the Bose sound system, and the Nespresso coffee machine.

Housekeeping did an incredible job of making up the room every day before Noon, and once they did it when we left the hotel for 25-30 minutes. Not sure if it was just timing or if they were watching us leave, but that was great.

Swimming pool
It was mandatory to have a swimming pool for our kids, and this was definitely an interesting experience. If you look from the outside, the Fairmont is one half of one building (standing in front to the right), there is another building across the street to the left (has a private club, restaurants, museum, etc.) and then you look up and it looks like there is a bridge of sorts that is fully enclosed. The pool is located in that part of the structure on the 21st floor. I have to say that is a very interesting architectural design. What was somewhat disappointing is that there were only very small windows in the pool area to look out. It would be awesome if there were huge windows along that side right by the pool, but this is still pretty cool.

The pool itself is an interesting design; a reverse L shape where most people swam laps in the long section, and the kids could swim and play in the short section. The pool was well maintained, but the room was pretty cold. The kids kept saying the water was cold, but I think it had more to do with the room. There is also a hot tub which has four seats (two to lay down in, two to sit up in) which I had not seen before, but it worked out fine. The water was fairly hot which was nice.

The great part about this pool is that it was never busy. We had the pool to ourselves most of the time, and other times there were maybe one or two other people swimming laps. I definitely got the impression that not too many kids stayed at this hotel as every other place we stayed at was packed with kids.

Surrounding area
We loved the area as there are many different options available to eat outside the hotel. We first discovered a little bakery just across the street where we ate sandwiches for lunch on our first day. There is a dumpling/noodle place right across the street from the main lobby (by the ATM) which was awesome and affordable. We also ate at Capri, and Italian restaurant just down the road, not the best, but not bad either. You can also take a little walk over toward the silk market and there were a lot more restaurants (both Chinese & Western) to choose from, along with a Starbucks. Also close is a 7-11 which comes in handy for snacks, drinks, hand wipes, etc.

Another huge plus on this location is the subway within walking distance. The hotel is a few subway stops away from Tiananmen Square / Forbidden City and Wangfujing Shopping Street. We rode the subway on the weekend and the trains were full, not overly so, but I would avoid at peak periods on a work day as it can get very crowded.

Concierge / tours
We attempted to book a car to the Great Wall through the hotel, and they came back with RMB1200 at which time I nearly choked. I understand the Fairmont is upscale and they tried to sell us that they only work with the best agencies with the best cars, but we didn’t need that. In Xian we booked a VW Passat to the Terracotta Soldiers for RMB600, we knew the cost should be around this price, so we said no thank you, and proceeded to book through an offsite travel agent for RMB600 to go to the Mutianyu section of the wall. Instead of a VW Passat the hotel would have booked, we instead took a Hyundai minivan which was perfectly fine with us.

Bottom line
The Fairmont Beijing met our expectations, but didn’t really wow us. It’s a nice hotel, but when compared to the Westins or Hiltons, it falls a little short particularly when considering the price. It does have a great location, but when it came to service, outside of Fei Fei, the staff just didn’t seem as friendly and welcoming as the other hotels we stayed in during our trip. I’d recommend staying here if the price was right.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Excellent stay, rooms is clean and have all you need. Close to the shopping area and metro. Hotel staff are great. Good breakfast. Fairmont chain will not disappointed you. This hotel is newer and have very comfortable rooms. Travel with a 1 year old, they even have a kit (baby shampoo, soap and cream) for the little one. They also provide me with a crib.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear luveurope88,

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We know how precious the little ones are and we make an extra effort ensure that they're well looked after when they're at Fairmont. When guest check in with babies we always provide them with toiletry items especially deigned for their sensitive skin. We hope to see you and your little one back at Fairmont again soon!

Been to Fairmont Beijing? Share your experiences!