We spent five days at the Fairmont Beijing, staying in a Junior Suite on the Gold Level. I cannot speak to the standard rooms, without Gold privileges, but our stay was close to perfect. The room was spacious, furnished tastefully and comfortably -- huge bed, comfortable seating area, and good-size desk with outlets for charging electronics (Ipads, PCs, phones) without the need for any adaptors or converters, and good lighting. We were there on vacation but the room was also very business friendly The bathroom was very luxurious, with a very large stall shower and separate tub, as well as double sinks.
The service and attitude of the staff was outstanding. This was our first visit to China and we don't speak a word of Chinese, so the assistance of the concierge staff both on the Gold level and in the main lobby was invaluable -- from arranging to pick-up train tickets for us for a later stage of our trip (for a not unreasonable fee), to helping us select restaurants for dinner and drawing us detailed maps with landmarks so that we could locate them.
We found the Gold Level lounge to be a quiet, welcoming respite from our travels, and used it daily for both breakfast (Gold guests alternately may take breakfast at the buffet in the main restaurant) and the cocktail hour, as well as dropping by to pick up cold drinks and an occasional snack at other hours. The quality of the "hot" buffet items during breakfast -- e.g., lukewarm pancakes -- were just ok, and the pastries (mini croissants, pain au chocolat) were somewhat dry. However, for those who wanted a Western style breakfast, there were excellent loaves of bread available, as well as good, fresh fruit, juice, and custom-order eggs (omelets, scrambled, poached, or boiled). The coffee was the best that we had in China. There were also both Chinese and Japanese breakfast choices. Similar to breakfast, many of the hot hors d'oevres during the cocktail hour were just middling, but there was always good fruit, cheese, smoked salmon, and nuts.
A few quibbles:
1. The water temperature in the shower was not nearly hot enough.
2. One of my pet peeves -- a single robe hook, with no towel bars whatsoever in the bathroom. If the Fairmont is seriously interested in its ostensible green commitment to encouraging guests to reuse their towels, they need to provide space where the towels can be hung to dry out. Until then, we will be dumping them into the tub and opting for new towels each day.
3. The service personnel in the Gold Lounge were inconsistent. Although the coffee maker is out on the buffet such that guests can serve themselves, a staff member invariably offered to make us coffee, which we appreciated -- except that about 50 percent of the time they then forgot. Similarly, on 2 of the 5 evenings, no red wine was available during the cocktail hour, until it was procured from the restaurant downstairs some 20 minutes later; surely someone could have noted this when they set up the bar and proactively procured some before a guest asked for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Exceptional accommodations and service in an ideal Central Business District (CBD) location await you at Fairmont Beijing, China - voted #1 hotel in China on TripAdvisor in 2012. Stunning architecture and interior design reflects traditional and contemporary Chinese styles. Savor the ultimate dining experiences in our award-winning restaurants, keep fit on the road in our state-of-the-art gym and pool, then relax and indulge in our Willow Stream Spa.Please visit the TripAdvisor homes our hotel restaurants, The Cut and Lunar 8! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Venere, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Otel, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Fairmont Beijing reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Beijing Hotel Beijing