“A nice hotel in downtown.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flowering House Courtyard Hotel

Save Saved
You added Flowering House Courtyard Hotel to your Saves list
Flowering House Courtyard Hotel
No.23 Huageng Hutong, Jiao Dao Kou, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100007, China (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)   |
Ranked #11 of 548 Beijing B&B and Inns
Beijing, China
“A nice hotel in downtown.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's my first time to Beijing and I had to stay two nights in a hotel as my friend was out of the city when I came. She booked me at flowering house which is a tipical old Beijing style construction, called Si Ho Ruan. It is a so lovely place locating in Hu Tong, quiet, clean and safe. Just 10 mins from subway and the main foods street Kui Jee, where you can find wonderful Chinese foods till midtnight. Hotel manager names Long. He is very friendly and knows lots of his hometown. He told me many funny stories and also good advice to help me quickly scheduling my time in Beijing. He also invited me drinking Chinese tea with him and his friends. It was amazing experience. I never took Chinese tea in that way. They call it Cha Tao.
Now I moved to my friend's house. I told her my experience there and I am sure I will stay in flowering house again in my next trip to Beijing.
When I checked out, he manager invited me to join their Chinese tea time again with his friends before I leave. I feel sorry I can not. I will go back US tomorrow. I will miss my new friend, Long, and his lovely small courtyard in Beijing, flowering house.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's an amazing courtyard with cosy nice rooms. Only 5min walk from subway line 5, 10min from a hilarious food street, 15min from the Lama Temple; but its quiet and calm living here. Trying the local lifestyle by living in Hutong, in local-style rooms and local food, it is so worthy!It was snowing the days I was there. Everything was neat and beautiful.
The staff were very helping: they were always there for anything you asked; they speak english well and can write and pronounce you the basic Chinese for your local adventures.
Living in the Hutong courtyard was syoer, just exceeded what i expected. I saw real local people living around, and felt like I was going deeper into the city.

Room Tip: ask the staff to pre-heat your room before your arrival, if you go their in cold days.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The pictures are a fraud..All the pictures shown on the website are of luxuy rooms while the normal room are like 8 ft by 6 ft in all...and they cost around 350RMB?..Ive stayed in much better hotels in other metropolitan cities in half the costs believe me. But this is not even an hotel..its named Flowering House HOSTEL.! You can't find it if you dont have any person who knows the way already..it in a substreet of a substreet..and the substreet is so small and you would actually wonder if im entering the right place..and guess what it is the last house on that streets. I usually used to come late from work in other hotels even like 12 at night..bt it wasnt a problem at all,,but if you come later than 9 O clock in this hostel, ghosts might fly you away..You can only see dogs roaming around at night..looking fiercly at you. My room was so small in 330 RMB that they didnt even have space to place a hairdryer and electric kettle..so they put it on tv. The bathroom used to smell alot because its window was connected to some outer side where their was an open manhole.and above all they dont have WIFI in their rooms...not even an wired connection...believe me..its all a trap. They just have a WIFI at their reception..and because i panicked alot for the internet..they gave me a room just besides the reception and told me to connect through that..The normal level of signals that i got was 2 dots which kept dropping now and then and i had to reconnect by getting closer to the door...

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
BensonCai, Owner at Flowering House Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear friend,

It is obvious that your review is not friendly. I want to know what happen about you.

Laught at you, even if I should not do that as owner.

I can only say "you never know beijing, you never know Hutong culture."

According to what you said, You want to pay around 350RMB/night to sleep in the Forbidden City? You should know, pay around 300RMB/night in center city even if you stay at Inn.

It is impossible to be enough big room as you expect base on 100 years old house. Every room size have been indicated in website. Please pay attention to room detail info. Different room different price, don't see deluxe room picture and pay low price, then feel fraudulent.

I cannot believe you have seen ghosts in city center. It is a joke? Because you never know Hutong cultrue. I need not explain to you again.

I only agree with your opinion of room bad WIFI sign. Room what you said is located in courtyard corner. It is not good WIFI sign in room. We have updated WIFI. Now do not warry about it. Thank your alert.

Sorry for terrible experience of Hutong hostel. I suggest to stay star hotel according to your requirment, never stay Hutong hostel.

"Equality","Friendship","Respect" are our business philosophy. We try our best to serve every guest. We hope that guest gives us an objective review. Thank you

Hope you everything goes well.

Best Regards
Flowering House Hostel
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

This place is amazing especially if you want a traditional Chinese experience. It's at the end of a hutong tucked away in the cutest little courtyard. We visited in January where outside temperatures were -10c and the hostel was so warm with adequate heating. The rooms are adorable and so clean. The staff are the best and are very knowledgeable about the area and so helpful in anyway possible. One more thing, the manager Benson arranged all of our onward train tickets from Beijing and this would have been so difficult without him especially as we were travelling during the spring festival period. He's better than any travel agency and the nicest guy :-) Thank you so much for making our stay so enjoyable and we will be returning here in April on our way back to Beijing!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here in July 2011, a bit late on my reviews. It was hard to find at first, the taxi dropped me off and pointed to this ally. I had an old lady and and old gentlemen walk me to it, both didn't speak a word in English and were going off the note in Chinese I was holding. And it was worth finding! Loved the area like I expected it felt like the old Beijing, but still in a very convenient location. Lovely setting in the court yard, and felt warm and welcoming. Very easy to walk to the train station, and you can get a lovely local breakfast to go on your way out of the neighborhood. Would defiantly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Wroclaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Flowering Hostel is a great place - it's placed in the very heart of Beijing, nearby most of the famous places and still, it's peaceful and quiet. Living there you can enjoy the traditional Chinese accommodation (rooms are the former houses Chinese lived in). It's also clean and warm (we visited it in winter) But the strongest point of this hostel is staff - they are truly great people - friendly, rather fluent in English and very helpful. They are also very open and knowledgeable about the geography and history of the world and after a day of exciting sightseeing you can always relax and have a pleasing conversation with them. We really want to visit them again!
I you want to go for a real-Beijing-experience, give them a chance - every little problem you might have with this place is gonna disappear as soon as you get to know these people :D

We spent 9 nights there in a Twin Comfort Room (facing the main courtyard).

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms (Twin Standard - I think) don't have bathrooms and you have to go out of the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were "forced" to stay here for 4 nights becos' of the non-refundable policy. We wanted to move to somewhere else after the first night. Although you can experience the local housing and the location is considered as convenient which is close to metro, Gui street and Nanluoguxiang, it is located in a hidden hutong which is not easy to be found. Taxi drivers is unable or has big difficulty to locate it. Even you call the taxi and ready to go to the airport, taxi driver will only wait for you somewhere 100-150 meters away. It is very inconvenient to those who carry big and heavy luggages.

We stayed in a tiny room which is so-called a standard double bed room. I somewhat doubted that it was a single room? The space was too narrow even for us two, petite-sized gals who is under 100 pounds each. The room was so dusty and there was no "normal" table to put things. We also found it very difficult to turn around and I often hurt my legs/foot when I walked back and forth from the bathroom. The bathroom was also tiny. We stood at where the toilet was to take shower. The shower was like dripping and the water started to flood the floor every time we washed our hair. The paper tissue, towel and slippers look dirty that we dared not to use. The heater made strange noise whenever it's adjusted to 20 degrees celcius or up, that we had to keep it below 20. It is also very noisy that we could hear neighbours clearly. The lighting was very strange in red that we had to open the door to "steal" some daylights out there.

In conclusion, it was quite a poor experience and it was not worth that price at all! Totally unreasonable price with that kind of poor facilities and non-user friendly design. Unless you really want to experience the touch of local life, I would only recommend you trying one night and that's more than enough! It's still better to stay at regular/normal hostels/hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Flowering House Courtyard Hotel? Share your experiences!