“Cared for Like Family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kellys Courtyard

Hostelworld.com
Kellys Courtyard
No.25 Xiaoyuan Hutong of Bingmasi Hutong, Xidan North Street, Xicheng District, Beijing 100034, China (Xidan)   |
Ranked #17 of 4,972 hotels in Beijing
Kentucky
“Cared for Like Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I cannot say enough about how well guests are looked after at Kelly's Courtyard. Bob was like the cousin I never knew I had in Beijing. Need a tour to the great wall? No problem. Bob can get you the best all-day taxi rate to the nicest place with the fewest tourists and cable cars to the top. He even called the taxi driver and made him hand over his phone so he could ask if everything was okay! He advised me on where to buy silk for my mom (Silkstreet) and where I could purchase sunscreen for my peeling legs. The rooms were nice, surrounding a lovely air conditioned courtyard with a skylight. Though the beds were harder than my norm, he supplied many extra pillows and blankets, and I slept very well. Quiet rooms with hot water in showers. Bathroom was separated from the sleeping area by a glass wall and a privacy shower curtain. An endless supply of bottled water was available at a cheap rate, just sign your room number. Two metro stations were near the hostel, both within a 5 minute walk: Xisi and Lingjing Hutong. An ATM is located nearby inside 24-convience mart (toward Lingjing station.). Also, KFC is close by (toward Xisi station). I would stay in the Hutong again. The service Bob provided exceeded most 5-star hotels. We took a cab to the airport for about $30. However, we took a bus from the airport, as the taxis wanted to overcharge using highly inflated flat rates. There is an air tram from the airport that we also used to get into Beijing during our second visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Kellys was a real find for us. The hostel is located off the main road down an alley - this was a little unusual but Bob the manager met us along the way as we had indicated what time our train arrived in Beijing. The hostel is a real gem, each room opens onto the shared central courtyard and is decorated beautifully. The accommodation is very clean, comfortable and quiet. Bob the manager is most helpful and eager to assist with any request and happy to share much information on Beijing attractions and solutions for getting around. The beds are chinese firm but rather comfortable. Each room has a private bathroom/shower. We had both a double bed room and a twin bed room.
It was lovely to come back in the afternoon, after a day of being on the go, to the peace and quiet of the hostel. The central courtyard has a glass ceiling and is airconditioned which was fabulous. There is also a rooftop terrace which is perfect for relaxing on while enjoying a cool drink and watching the sun set. The breakfast provided is enough to start the day. there is a supermarket nearby, along with subway stations, and local resturants of varying sizes. KFC is also not far away for those with a need.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I was very impressed with the level of service and all the amenities at Kelly's. The hostel was clean and comfortable. Also close to the subway and busses. A light breakfast was included and served daily. Bob and John were very helpful with suggestions for sightseeing and directions around the city. There was also a very cool roof top deck to enjoy! I highly recommend staying at this hostel on your next visit to Beijing!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I would highly recommend this charming hotel to anyone visiting Beijing. It is clean, quiet and centrally located to many tourist attractions. The main feature without a doubt is the exceptional service provided by staff (in particular Bob).

Sadly for us, our inbound flights to Beijing, were first cancelled and then delayed 4 hours. This resulted in us arriving at 1:30 am in the morning. Despite all of these airline issues (never fly China Eastern), Bob was happy to assist in anyway that he could. He went above and beyond in order to help us out, during our time of need. He offered to give the taxi directions in Chinese via the phone at 1:30am, and then when we arrived just after 2am, awoke again to come out an greet us. He took his time in explaining the surrounding areas to us to ensure that we could get around safely and efficiently. His service was genuine, friendly and generous. My only regret was not having more time at the hotel to sit and buy Bob a few well earned beers (out of the communal hotel minibar that was so convenient!). However Bob, we will be back and we will visit again. Thankyou for everything!!!

Room Tip: Make sure that you arrange transport to this hotel, or have a staff member to help guide the taxi dr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We arrived tired and late in Beijing. My daughter had booked us into Kelly's, but we were suspicious as we were led through the winding, dark, hutong alleyways. No need for discomfort--we knocked on the door and were greeted by Bob, the great airaand wonderful manager. We were led into a lovely courtyard ringed by glassed in (curtains as needed for privacy) bedrooms. Bob knew everything--how to get everywhere, what was a logical order for sightseeing, restaurants, airport info, really anything we needed to know. As a bonus, we realized how perfectly located the guesthouse is to central Beijing. Also, the alleyways? We came to be very familiar with them and the people who populate them. We were always very safe. Kelly's (and Bob) is a terrific place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Oldbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I had Kelly's recommended to me by a friend of my Sister. It's a fantastic place, very small and intimate, although the rooms were all well sized. It's a little hard to find when you first arrive, somewhat tucked away, but Bob the manager will come and meet you if necessary. Considering the place is a stone's throw from a busy main road, there's hardly any noise when you're in there, even on the roof terrace. It's ideal for the metro, just a few minutes walk to the line, about halfway between two stations. It's full of character and is a world away from staying in a bland, corporate "chain" hotel.
I'd heard about Bob from other reviews, and I wasn't disappointed. He was incredibly friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for him. He was very helpful in arranging trips, giving directions and recommending restaurants and any other general advice. He speaks good English and always ensures the information is clear. There's a large subway map on the wall and smaller maps are also available.
Due to the layout of the rooms, an enclosed courtyard with a glass roof, it can be a bit noisy if all eight rooms are occupied. It's not really somewhere I'd recommend for young families.
Many thanks again to Bob and his colleague for a fantastic few days.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I traveled to Beijing with my husband who is a first-time traveler to China (I have previously been but for business so stayed at 5* chain hotels). I absolutely recommend Kellys Courtyard! It combines the best aspects of a friendly hostel and a boutique hotel. The manager, Bob, is excellent and a great help - took great care of us and really made our trip to Beijing memorable. He works hard to make you feel welcome, without being overbearing or irritating. He has an excellent knowledge of everything that a traveler might want to do in Beijing. His English is great and he makes sure that you understand his directions. The hostel is very safe, the decor is lovely and most importantly very clean. It all comes together to promote a feeling that you can relax in this place. I loved it and would absolutely stay again when I visit Beijing!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kellys Courtyard? Share your experiences!