“Nice enough place, but some improvements needed.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Michael's House

You added Michael's House to your Saves list
Michael's House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Yard No.1 Zhiqiang North Garden, Haidian District, Beijing 100088, China (Houhai)   |
Special Offer
Free Airport Transfer
Ranked #15 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Nice enough place, but some improvements needed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed in this for 3 nights during my recent trip to China. I decided to book it after reading great reviews on tripadvisor.com

I agree with others that this hotel has a lot of charm and character. I found staff friendly and helpful. I did not however see any other staff apart from the reception staff.

I stayed in the tatami mat (twin) room, which does not have a bathroom. In order to use bathroom or toilet facilities, I had to parade through the communal area where other people sat. This area also has a reception desk. I guess due to the layout of the building, there is not much that could be done about it, but it can be a bit intimidating.

My room was facing the street and it was sometimes noisy with some people walking by and talking loudly late at night.

My room has quite small, but pleasant and clean. It did have a phone, but the phone did not work. I was told by reception staff that I could receive calls at he reception desk, which I did. It did not however allow me to have my telephone conversations in private. I would have been much nicer of them to swap my faulty phone with one another room.

Breakfast was ok. There was a decent selection of food on offer, although it was a bit slow in coming. Breakfast was served as of 7 am, but some dishes only started to arrive half an hour later.

There is a computer with internet connection that can be used by guests.

Upon check out, I was presented with additional charges for 2 bottles of water, which I did not have. When I raised it with staff, I was told that I must have had it, as it was written on a sheet of paper by someone who cleaned my room. When I said again that this was incorrect, this was removed from my bill. I have stayed in 4 different hotels during my stay in China and this was the only one that did not provide free bottled water. For those who may not be aware, you cannot drink tap water in China.
The person who was dealing with me during check out did not know how to operate the credit card machine well and rather than cancelling my pre-authorisation, she charged it on my card again and then said that she could not cancel it and would cancel it later that day.

The location itself was quite nice. The hotel is located in an non-touristy area with plenty of night food stalls in the close vicinity. It is within a walking distance from a metro station and a bus station, from which you can catch buses to see the Great Wall.

Despite some of my comments above, I would recommend this hotel to my friends and I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
tianjin, china
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

My wife and I have travelled extensively all over the world, and have lots of very good things to say about this place. The service was friendly, and the staff was willing to look up information/maps on the Internet to make our stay more welcoming.

The rooms are clean, tastefully decorated, very quiet and with thick drapes, meaning that a good night's sleep is pretty well guaranteed. While it's true that there are some cheaper hotels in Beijing, this one offers excellent value. There's kind of a garden/comfortable chill-out area to sit and either watch the big flat-screen TV, use the free Internet or just read.

Once you get oriented, it's about a 10-minute walk from the closest subway/metro station, and the neighbourhood is lively, with lots of street stick-food and restaurants around, all at very cheap prices. Once you're on the subway, it's roughly 20 minutes to Tiannamen Square and/or the Forbidden City.

The biggest improvement to make would be the breakfast. It was okay, and buffet-style, but the hot-plates to keep the food warm were either turned on too low, or they didn't work, making the breakfasts cold. It might also be nice if they would offer drinks (like beer) for sale in the evenings. Most of the neighbouring places charge 3 RMB for a half-litre (pint) of beer, so something like this at Michael's House might be a good idea! For those who get up after 9:30 am, when breakfast finishes, it might be nice to still be able to have a free coffee.

My wife and I stayed for five nights, and as we live in Tianjin (2.5 hours away), are planning to regularly return to Michael's House. We're also recommending it to our friends and colleagues!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Perth WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

best two star acc. ever been to!
Helpful,friendly,caring ,clean, .............. nothing negativ to say about!
Sean,Edward as well as Michael and his lovely wife,hope to see you again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Michaels is located on the north fringe of the city, close to bus & metro. The neighbourhood does not have any charm & we spent a lot of time catching taxis to the eastern area of the city to eat & sight see. Fortunately taxis are very cheap. Their breakfast is barely acceptable. The common room has a classroom feel to it with the manager sitting at a desk overlooking everything. The rooms are basic but comfortable. The bed was good.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
manila, philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

I recommend Michael's House for the superb quality of service they extend -- from Sean handling the last minute changes in booking we had to do, to Edward meeting us upon our arrival and giving us impromptu history lessons over breakfast, to Miranda getting us the dumpling dipping sauce we couldn't describe, to Lydia who took us on a night out in a pretty part of town. The hotel has a lot of personality, is very cozy, serves great dumplings, and the staff exerted every effort to make sure our stay was comfortable and enjoyable.
Michael's House is a few minutes' walk to the nearest train station, and is situated pretty near to a bus stop. The rates are good and on the whole made our Beijing stay all the more fun.
One thing, though, When booking certain tours (ie to the Great Wall or the Forbidden CIty), it would be good to double check with the hotel's travel agent partners that you're going to the right place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

Recommend this hotel to anyone who prefers a more personal experience to that of a large hotel. The staff particularly Sean were extremely helpful and helped us out with transport, visits, nothing was too much trouble. We got restaurant recommendations, directions written in both Mandarin and English which was extremely helpful. Michael the owner and his wife were extremely welcoming and interesting to talk to. Rooms were cosy, nicely furnished, beds very comfortable not hard as is usual in China. The central courtyard was a great place to sit and have a snack or a drink. Free internet access is also available. The hotel very kindly kept one of our bags as we travelled around China when we returned to Beijing ready for our flight home - lots of shopping. Hotel isn't situated in a touristy area and you get the chance to experience more of a local lifestyle. A thoroughly enjoyable stay. Thanks to evryone at the hotel who made us feel so welcome.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I often stay in china hotels and many do not offer the service and attention like here. I decided to choose this place for the next 4 nights here in Beijing. Very easy 8 minute walk to subway station (Jishuitan Station) and near to all tourist attractions. Make sure you don’t go out too late because subway is out by 11, not like New York which is on 24 hours. I ended up taking taxi and thanks again for the driver and hotel staff at Michael’s which have no problem taking me to back at 1AM. Room prices are very reasonable and service I get is better than what I would expect from a 5 star hotel. Emperor’s Suite is classy. I didn’t bring a computer with me but there was one available in the room at No Charge. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I don’t speak any Mandarin and the staff there wrote all necessary destinations and guides in both English and Chinese which is easy for most drivers in China. Overall it’s a very cozy hotel, clean and reasonable price in the area. I was lucky to personally met with Michael and Joanne and thank them for even providing me transportation assistance to Airport Shuttle on the last day I leave. May be because I stay at the Emperor’s Suite? Great job Michael and I look forward to stay here again when I am in Beijing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Michael's House? Share your experiences!