“Calm in the city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Michael's House

You added Michael's House to your Saves list
Michael's House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Yard No.1 Zhiqiang North Garden, Haidian District, Beijing 100088, China (Houhai)   |
Special Offer
Free Airport Transfer
Ranked #15 of 5,463 Hotels in Beijing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, England, United Kingdom
“Calm in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My second stay at Michaels House in the last 2 months, it's location may not be quite as close to central Beijing as the Hutong Courtyard hotels but it has such a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere it's worth paying for a few short Taxi journeys to get to the must see tourist attracions in central Beijing. Staff are great, rooms are generous sizes & spotless. Breakfast is good, perhaps the only area they fall down in is the lack of a reastaurant but that said within 5 minutes you can walk to local eateries both Chinese and Western. I plan to stay again next time I'm passing through Beijing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed 5 days at Michael's and it was great.
The room was big enough for us, good amenities and nice breakfast all of that for a bargain.
Mostly it was the staff who did it for us. We didn't spoke a word of chinese so having english speaking staff was a must, they helped us so much with everything even how to avoid scams.
This place is great, it has a nice atmosphere and they made our stay pleasant and easy.
I know I'll go back there next time in Beijing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The staff at Micheal's house went above and beyond! They let leave our bags for 2 nights while we traveled via train to Xian, let us use the staff shower before we left and checked us in early with free upgrade when we returned from Xian (ready for a real bed and shower).

Amy is amazing. She and I exchanged about 12 emails and helped me book when Hotels.com showed they were sold out, she booked overnight trains for 4 people both ways, and then bought our Arocbatic Show tickets.

They put out the wonderful breakfast early for us the day we left for the wall and answered all our questions with a smile. Micheals House really felt like home, so clean, comfotable and cozy home like atmosphere. We hated leaving!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
West Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My sister and I stayed for three nights in a standard room, that was bright and clean, with supremely comfortable beds. We were greeted warmly by two of the young, intelligent girls who act as hostesses. They all have good English skills, are eager to assist in any way necessary, and do so with care. We were "high maintenance" guests, and they responded to our many needs (use of their computer, extra water, phone calls, help with taxis, meals, advice, and other sundry requests) with good grace and intelligence. We were happy with our stay and thrilled with the excellent service! We highly recommend Michael's Place! (The owner's wife was there, a lovely helpful woman who went out of her way to accommodate us, even driving us to a local restaurant and facilitating service from a non-English speaking waitress. We appreciated this and other courtesies willingly extended to us.)

Room Tip: The standard room we were in was ideal for us, as it was close to the courtyard, front desk and brea...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Michael's house wasn't only clean, beautiful, and comfortable, but had the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever experienced during my stay at a hotel.

Upon our arrival we were welcomed warmly. The staff at Michael’s gave us a city map, as well as recommendations based on what we were in the mood for, whether it was food, entertainment, or relaxation. One lazy evening they arranged for food to be delivered to the hotel for us, and to my amazement they went the extra length to prepare the takeout food for us in the foyer as a three-course meal on their own dining ware for our enjoyment. Another night one of the staff overheard me saying I wanted to find a late nightspot for a drink, and took the time to walk me to a place I'd have never found before after her shift. I really felt at home here, and would highly recommend it to anyone, but especially those who a new to the area and not well versed in Chinese.

Location, atmosphere, and professionalism are all top notch at this hotel. The only regret I have for my trip to Beijing is that I could not Stay longer at this hotel. Thanks Michael’s House!

Room Tip: The standard double bed room is perfect for the lone traveler. However, if traveling with loved ones...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at Michael's for three nights with my 8 year old daughter. While the room was a little small, that is the only negative thing I have to say. The staff were wonderful and beyond my wildest expectations - warm and generous with my daughter. She really felt she was with friends. The lobby, which was an old refurbished courtyard with many of the rooms off it, was comfortable and inviting. We wrote in our journals there. The location, off an alley, was a little bit of adventure. Great street food down the alley and loads of character. If you prefer everything to be standard and consistent, don't stay here. But if you want to go to a place that shows you a Beijing neighborhood, and if something a bit different is preferred, then this is a wonderful choice. Highly recommended for families.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This little place just was not for us When we arrived we were put in the smallest room you could imagine with the breakfast bar and lounge right on the front door so we had to keep the door shut and curtains closed. Eventually we were put into quite a comfortable room at a huge upgrade price making it the most expensive place we stayed in China and they were 5 star The one and only plus was the wonderfull young staff. The lovely Li Xuefei (Sophi) was a wonderfull help and great company aided by Amy and the other girls. They were the highlight of our stay there and I would not say to anyone not to stay there as some people dont mind being in such a confined area and the fantastic staff made it liveable

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Michael's House? Share your experiences!