“Run-down airport hotel for stranded Air China customers” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Phoenix Hotel Beijing

You added Golden Phoenix Hotel Beijing to your Saves list
Golden Phoenix Hotel Beijing
No.27 Litian Road, Shunyi District, Beijing 101317, China (Beijing Capital International Airport)   |
Ranked #2,081 of 5,424 Hotels in Beijing
3.0 of 5 stars 124 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
“Run-down airport hotel for stranded Air China customers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

July 28th we stranded in this run-down hotel as Air China wasn't willing to book us to alternative connecting flight. We only met frustrated Air China customer so it seems that this place is mainly making business with unsatisfied Air China customers. The room we got would have satisfied maniacs for DNA fingerprints. The twin beds were full of all kind of different hair and other disgusting staff. Don't rely on the staff checking the airport transfer next day. Single travelers are forced to share room with strangers to save cost. The surrounding of the hotel is rather boring and there's nothing of interest or any delicious restaurant. Best is to go a long way round this non servicing and unfriendly place.

Room Tip: The only tip we can give is to go a long way round this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Single most infuriating hotel experience of my life.

We stayed at the hotel between two connecting flights. We arrived at Beijing airport late night, and had to leave early morning.

First problem: The airport shuttle didn´t pick us up on arrival. When we called the hotel, the staff didn´t speak english, so we couldnt explain the problem. After getting help from airport personnel, the shuttle finally showed up 1 hour late. No apologies from driver, just "hurry up!". When we got to the hotel, it was already close to midnight, even though we were supposed to have been there at 9.30 pm.

Second problem: The driver carried our luggage to the van, and tossed it violently into the back of the car. Consequently, an expensive statue bought from a local arts dealer broke, cracking audibly inside the bag. Again, no apologies from the driver, just a shrug and a laugh when we asked who was going to pay for it.

Third problem: Speaking with the numerous rude assistant managers in the lobby, they flatly refused to pay/compensate/apologize for the broken statue, on the ground that giving our luggage to their driver was our own responsibility. Not accepting this as an answer, we got hold of the main manager, who finally agreed to find a solution for us. After this she asked for the phone to be passed on to the assistant manager again, and the two of them discussed in chinese for a while. After this, the assistant manager asked us to wait for two minutes, left and didn´t return. After this, all english speaking personnel avoided us, or pretended to be busy and we could not get hold of the manager again. After half an hour of futile attempts to find out what was going on, it was clear what the solution had been: to avoid us entirely, until we gave up.

Eventually we were left alone in the lobby, with an american woman sleeping in a chair in front of the managers desk. Incidentally she had complained about her luggage being broken in transfer from the airport as well, and had been abandoned in the lobby by the manager, same way as us.

There´s even more to the story than that, but I think you get the gist. This hotel delivers uniquely bad service, bordering on harassment of their own guests. And their rooms aren´t even nice. Stay away at all costs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

As so many other people, I was forced to stay here due to a delayed Air China flight.
The room smells, there are stains everywhere and I already got bitten on my hand within 5 minutes of being at the hotel.

Air China (or the hotel?) makes you pay 150 RMB if you don't want to share a room with some random passenger.

Only a few staff members understand English, and only if they want to.
When you complain, or have questions they don't like, they tell you they don't understand you and to wait for the manager (who supposedly speaks English) in the hope you're going to go away. Well, I didn't have anything else to do so I told them I would wait right there. After many attempts to get rid of me and telling me the manager would be there all night so I could come back later, they finally got the manager... which had been sitting idle at a desk in the lobby all along! Very clear that they just didn't want to have to deal with issues they don't like.

Just like some other people here, I was waiting in line when they allowed other people (who spoke Chinese) to cut the queue. When it was finally my turn, they told me to go wait at another line.

So, in summary, yes, next time I would rather go elsewhere and pay (more than the 150 RMB I had to pay not to share this crappy room with some random guy) not to have to be in this hotel.

On the bright side: food wasn't that bad, and even at 10.30pm they still had some very basic things (tofu stew, tomato stew, roasted vegetables and rice), which tasted OK and is better than nothing. And you don't have to pay 150 RMB extra not to have to share your plate with your neighbour.

This hotel looks and feels more like a 300 RMB hotel room (at best). Not the 880 RMB they are apparently renting the rooms for.

Room Tip: Might not be any good rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Geneva2009
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

As many other comments about this hotel, I also HAD to stay there because Air China organised it due to flight delay.
Shuttle is very far within the airport.
Staff at the hotel is unfriendly and rude.
Food is a choice before starving - otherwise, pass.
Rooms are just about acceptable (mattress consists of a very thing something).
Watch out: you might have company in the room (insects, etc.).
All in all, consider (even if you have to pay) the Hilton which is within walking distance from the terminal.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Due to the flight delay from beijing to Mongolia we all force to stay at this hotel. It was an bad experience that i had, the staff unfriendly, can't really speak english, the room is smelly and the water from the basin had a kind of smelly. The food that provided was terrible. Beside I had to stay for second time as the beijing to KL flight also delay. This time the service was more terrible. I do not wish to stay here but since the China Air send us to this hotel I have no choice. Is was late night with the tire body, we all Q and line up to get our room. When I get my turn, the reception told this Q is not for those flight delay, and ask me to line up again with the new Q. It was not stated correctly with sign and with a very unfriendly face and tone from the staff. In my mind if there is a choice I will not choose this hotel. Please for those who plan to go for holiday please do not choose this hotel, it will spoil up your holiday!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

My wife and I found ourselves unexpectedly needing to spend a night at Beijing Capital airport and were persuaded by the Beijing Tourist authority to stay at this hotel rather than the the Hilton ot the langham. What a mistake that was, It was a bit cheaper but it was truly a horrific experience . The room was filthy the food was terrible and the staff were surly at best and could hardly speak English. To make matters worse they asked for the full charge to be paid in advance. Whatever you do avoid this hotel at all costs and pay the bit extra to stay at the Hilton or the Langham.

Room Tip: If you absolutely have to stay here ask for a room at the back of the building. It is quieter there.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Because of hurricane in Bejing my connection flight to Guangzhou was cancelled and I was sent by kind Air China to this hotel. From the side it looks like a prison, but rooms are lovely. I got a large room, which was equipped with everything one may need. Bed was perfect for sleeping and conquering jetlag. Bathroom was not totally OK, however acceptable. Anyway, there were two WCs in the suite. Carpet in the room was stained and not really clean. Not enough light in the room quickly made me sleepy.TV showed only chinese channels. Restaurant on the first floor served very nice and tasty food for very good price (400RMB for a full dinner for 3 people with beer and whiskey). For internet connection you need to call reception and give them your passport number. This will become your password somehow.
Overall I liked the hotel and recommend it for transit stay if you have a long layover in Beijing.

Room Tip: Ask for 410 - two rooms suite. Never go for 486 - my friends got it. Very tiny and uncomfortable.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Golden Phoenix Hotel Beijing? Share your experiences!