“5+ Star Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Legendale Hotel Beijing

Save Saved
You added Legendale Hotel Beijing to your Saves list
Legendale Hotel Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.90-92 Jinbao Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100005, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #23 of 5,417 Hotels in Beijing
St. Petersburg, Florida
“5+ Star Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

When you first see the hotel you cannot help but recognize this is a landmark hotel. When you enter it you are dazzled by the empire French marble interior. The fantastic atrium goes all the way up and all floors overlook it (hopefully you are not afraid of heights!).

The rooms are fantastic. Our deluxe (the smallest) was 450 sq ft and so large and well appointed most hotels would call it a suite. The full marble bathroom with Jacuzzi was the best we have seen.

Location is excellent. Close to some Hutong Alleys, the Forbidden City, and Tiananmen Square
as well as the Temple of Heaven. You can walk to all of them but if you tire of walking take a taxi from the hotel. They are very inexpensive and quick. You will get plenty of walk time when you get there.

TIP: We have been to China 4 times and find that it is usually less expensive and more convenient to hire a private driver for the out of town sites such as the Great Wall and Ming Tombs. We have employed John twice and found him to be helpful and honest. He can be reached at johnyellowcar@hotmail.com (website: www.beijing-driver.com)

We booked our airline travel on CheapTickets.com and were given the usual opportunity to also book a hotel. We decided to do so and were pleased to book the Legendale for only $152/nite all taxes included. We checked other sites and they were all at least $35 more per nite. This great price was only included as a flight/hotel bundle.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A very lovely hotel in a fantastic location in Beijing. It is a walking Distance to Wangfujing street, some Hutong Alleys, the Forbidden City, and Tiananmen Square. The subway is also right next to the hotel. I was able to use the subway or taxi cabs to tour the city. I liked the fact that it was not right on Wangfujing Street but was very close because it was quieter. You cannot miss the French décor and theme in this hotel. It was stated everywhere and in everything, even the beautiful uniform of the staff. Being a history buff, I loved it. It felt like I was transported to France while I was in China.
The customer service here is top notch. From the moment, I arrived, the staff assisted me and were very attentive to anything I needed. Since I could not speak Chinese, It was very helpful to me that most of the staff spoke fluent English. The concierge wrote out names of places I needed to go for me in Chinese and ensured that the taxi drivers understood where they were taking me. When I requested a room with a good view, I was upgraded to a room with one. The rooms and hallways are beautiful and the hotel provided everything you needed including beauty packages for its guests. The view from my room was awesome especially at night. I intend to stay here again, and will recommend it to my friends and family.

Room Tip: If you want, book a room on a high floor. It is nice to see the view of the city from your room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Highly recommend the family room: 2 connecting rooms. One room has 2 queens, the other room has a living room and separate room with a king. It fit our family of five quite well. The location is great and near the Forbidden City. Save some money and hire your own private car and driver to go see the sites instead of using the hotel's which is super expensive. Note: cabs in Beijing only allow 4 people. If you have a little tyke, like we do, tell them you will pay a little extra (10-20 RMB) more so that you can all ride together in one cab.

Room Tip: "Family room" which is 2 connecting rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

What a place!!! Grand is the word - from the facade with its turrets and palace like look, to the location and to the rooms. It was absolutely breath-taking.

We stayed on the club floor and had booked a noble grand deluxe room - and it was beautiful. We were up on the 16th floor and we could see the city - it was nice waking up in the morning and seeing the view. Le'Occitane products - and they were generous with the bottles, so we came home with quite a stash. Service was good. The concierge was very helpful and had gave us helpful information.

Negatives ( and they were not many) - The club floor check in area was a bit dated. The lounge was spacious and quiet - not crowded at all. However, people smoked there...so heads up on it. If you are looking for the "executive lounge" experience - this is not the place to be. Happy hour is from 4pm to 8pm - ok spread - finger sandwiches/two types of pastries/alcohol/tea/coffee.The breakfast served there had limited items on it, so we ate in the main dining room. Good spread. My only gripe - you either had to serve coffee yourself or keep asking the server for some. I wish, like other hotels, they provided the tea/coffee/juice at the table.

DaDong is right next door, we went there for dinner one night. There are also some shops around which proved to be useful when you needed to buy any essentials. The staff spoke English - which was a great benefit.

It is not a chain hotel so if you are looking for standardized service like a Hilton this is not the place for you. But we dont regret staying here...it was a good experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is truly a 5 star experience. The service is impeccable. Our room was stunning - quite ornate yet it wasn't tacky. Make sure you get the name of your destination written down for the taxis as we had a lot of confusion about where we were going to.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that leads off the central atrium - the splendour of the internal corridors cheers...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The hotel's located is ideal - across the street in one direction pedestrian street to just walk around or go to the Forbidden City, the other direction - metro station. Upon entering the hotel, you find yourself in a huge lobby is very nice decorated. The room is very large and too much luxury. Good spa with 25 meter pool, sauna and gym. I loved the breakfast - you can choose and Asian menu, or by habit to eat cereal with milk. Shortcomings of the hotel - the staff does not speak English, especially when talking about the cost of the hotel and the deposit, which is also too high. If you do not stay in this hotel, you should just come for a tour and drink coffee in the lobby-bar. Have a good journey in Beijing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I’d rate this hotel a 3+. While the rooms are quite comfortable and the hotel overall is well kept up, the décor is very “Versailles” (think late 17th century/early 18th century French – lots of gold, marble, high ceilings, big chandeliers, lots of wainscoting and mirrors, etc.) and there were a couple of things that were a little off.

Some of their services were top notch. I used the airport pick-up/drop-off service and that was excellent. For pick-up, someone met me right when I de-planed, escorted me through customs and the airport and brought me directly to the hotel car. Check-in was also an in-room check-in (no waiting at the front desk and you’re directly whisked to your room where you do the paperwork) which was wonderful after a very long flight. (I’ve only ever experienced this in China and wish that other hotels would adopt this feature). At the same though, I’d flag that the staff here doesn’t speak as much English as you would find in Western hotel chains and that can be a challenge if you’re only an English speaker (e.g. I had someone at the front desk call in the evening to give me a price for a clock in the room and had an extremely hard time explaining he was calling the wrong number, and when I called the front desk for assistance and when I checked out it was difficult to communicate when I had questions). The breakfast buffet was also just okay; I’ve stayed in other Beijing hotels with a more impressive spread. Also try to get to breakfast on the earlier side; when I got there 30 min. before closing, some of the buffet wasn’t stocked and some of the food that was there was a bit dried out.

In terms of specifics on the room, the bed was comfortable and there were a multitude of pillows to choose from – all with different herb contents for different purposes – which was a nice touch. Wireless Internet access in the room is available but you have to ask for a box to be installed in the room. The bathroom was large overall as was the vanity so there was room to spread out. There was a rain shower that had good water pressure, but the grout in the shower could use some sprucing up; there was also a very large soaking tub. The rugs in the room were new and didn’t show any signs of wear and tear, and the slippers provided were wonderfully “cushy” (some of the nicest I’ve found in hotels). However, there was no outlet near the desk so that was inconvenient to work as I couldn’t plug in my computer near the desk. There is some street noise as the hotel is on a busy street, so I’d suggest getting a room on as high a floor as possible and one that is not above the main street if possible. Lastly, wine in the mini-bar was reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Legendale Hotel Beijing? Share your experiences!