“Best Marriott I have ever stayed in” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall

You added Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall to your Saves list
Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.7 Jian Guo Men South Avenue, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100005, China (Beijing Railway Station / Jianguomen)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #44 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Best Marriott I have ever stayed in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

This was the best Marriott I had ever stayed in.
1. Very large and very plush rooms
2. Hotel public areas very modern and chic
3. Superb swimming pool and surroundings
4. Right next to Beijing railway station.
5. Helpful staff.
6. Great bar and restaurants

A couple of niggles will reduce the score from a perfect 10 to maybe 9. My coffee machine had some stale milk from earlier and some other abberation I cant remember.

But brilliant nevertheless.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Co Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

Everything about this hotel was fantastic. The staff , the hotel facilities, the food, the rooms, i could go on and on and on and they all get 5 stars from me. The breakfast was out of this world. I usually am not fond of breakfast in hotels because i never think it is worth it, but the breakfast here is unreal and well worth the money. I can't imagine ever been in hotel again that will top this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Suzhou
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I arranged for the hotel to pick me up at the airport. They used the VIP service and picked me up at the gate of the plane and took me through the VIP private exit where an old run down smelly car was waiting for me. The car was clearly a 3rd party contractor and was a bit of a let down after the gate pick up and escorted exit. The hotel was sort of isolated and in a business district away from everything. My room was beautiful and the hotel was amazingly decorated. It sort of made me think what Donald Trump would have decorated a hotel like. I ordered room service for dinner because there was no where to go nearby and I was exhausted. After about 20 minutes I received a call from room service stating they were out of my food. I was pretty ticked off since I was hungry and why did it take so darn long to tell me that. I ordered something else and it was just OK. I am sort of a slow eater and like to pick at my food for awhile so I usually keep the tray for several hours. I decided to take advantage of the whirlpool tub and while I was in the tub room service came back to retrieve their tray (without me asking). I had put the DND on the door so I was a bit surprised when they knocked and rang the bell repeatedly for several minutes saying "room service, here for tray". I was horrified when after knocking and me not answering (I was in the tub!!) they decided to let themselves into my room. I had the bar done on my door so they couldn't get in. I yelled come back later at that point, and they did, 10 minutes later. I found that really annoying. I am Marriott Gold so I had access to the executive lounge and ate breakfast there in the morning. I am an early riser so I think I was the first person there and apparently the cook doesn't show up later. So, if you want eggs you have to have them ordered from the kitchen. I wanted eggs, so I waited for them to come from the kitchen. Oh well.

I am not trying to complain too much about this hotel. As I said it was really nice and the room was comfortable. I travel all over China and have come to expect these same issues at other hotels (staff letting themselves into your room when you don't answer) and very slow check outs. If you have business in the area I would recommend this hotel. Otherwise, don't go out of your way to stay here. It is not a tourist hotel either.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Natick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

I stay at about two dozen hotels every year, and this has to be one of the best hotels I've seen. I also stayed at 4 different hotels while in China (including a Sheraton). This was easily the best one. Very new hotel, very clean, and very well managed (a rarity in China). The staff at the hotel were also great (and they all spoke English relatively well, which was a blessing after my experiences at other hotels in China).
The location is a bit awkward, but it's close to the main railway station, and taxis are easy enough to find. If taking the subway, either go to Beijing Railway Station (then walk east to the hotel) or Jiangomen Station (then walk south to the hotel).
Be warned, most taxi drivers don't know where this hotel is (too new). You will have to direct them to the Beijing Railway Station (get a print out from Google maps in Chinese), and the hotel is about 500m east of there. Once at the hotel, ask the concierge desk for their directions card which will solve all your taxi problems. Also, showing the Marriott logo will get you closer to where you want to go than telling taxi drivers the hotel/street name.
I stayed in the Executive Tower D, 17th floor. The room was very nice and large. Ample workspace, great bathroom (separate tub and shower, which was great, with a large glass window to the room that gives the bathroom an even lighter and larger feel), and of course, the great Marriott bed (best beds in the hotel industry for my money). Lots of English channels on the TV (CNN, BBC, CNBC, MTV, etc.).
The concierge/executive lounge on the 16th floor is amazing; best I've seen at a Marriott. Full breakfast (with omelet station), and great appetizers every night (all free, of course). The hotel has a few great restaurants and each night one of their chefs mans the kitchen upstairs and has a sample of their food as part of the appetizers. The executive lounge staff were amazing; very polite and genuinely helpful. If you have the option of staying in the executive tower, definitely do it. The manager (who I think is from New Zealand) came by the lounge every morning and evening to check on things and did the "meet and greet" with the guests. Very nice touch. Thank you for the travel tips, Colin if you read this.
The hotel also has an indoor pool and spa. The pool is decent size, and clean. There are hot tubs and saunas in the men and women's locker rooms (yes, the hot tubs are separate, which was a bummer). The locker rooms are very clean and have everything you might possibly need.
The hotel is within walking distance of Silk Alley Market, which is a worthwhile experience even if you don't buy anything (20 minute walk, northeast, get directions from concierge desk).
If going to the Great Wall, don't do the "coach tour" recommended by the concierge desk. It's a day full of being sold different stuff (jade, tea, herbs, etc.) at ridiculous prices. Either take a private tour, or take a hiking tour. Might cost you a bit more, but a much more pleasant experience.

If I ever go back to Beijing, this will be my first hotel choice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We have stayed at the Marriott City Wall, Beijing for one week in March 2009 and it was pure pleasure and delight. It was our 2nd time in Beijing and the first time in this hotel, as this was just build in Aug 2008. We upgraded to the next higher category and had access to the executive floor and lounge and therefore, breakfast, dinner drinks and snacks available. The appetizers/snacks were different every night and offered a fantastics variety of japanes/chinese and European cuisine - delicious. Everyone in the hotel was very friendly and helpful, the room was lovely and quite huge and offerend all amenities you might need. The lobby bar and restaurant offered terrific snacks and drinks and the Italian restaurant was also good if you longed for a change. We would always come back to this place without any doubt!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

After a long 12 hour flight from Washington-Dulles airport, we arrived in Beijing. Our first hotel with our Vantage Tour group was at the Beijing City Wall Marriott! What a hotel! My room reminded me of the Mandarin Oriental in Miami, Florida. Excellent service. Wanting to use my computer, I did not have the right adapter. Five times, a gentlemen came and helped me with my problem. The last time, it worked and he had the right adapter. I was impressed with his determination to "get it right". The hotel breakfast - wow - something else! Western and Eastern food - this was the beginning of my gaining weight on this 21 day tour. We ate at the Chinese Restaurant, and yes, there were some language problems, but you could not discount the employees trying their best to "get it right". The only negative thing that happened was when I was writing my signature on a travelers check - they would not cash it, because on my signature I went "below the line" and marked over the digits and the "Bank of China" would not accept it. So, be careful when you sign in front of them, and do NOT sign beyond the line area and cross the digits on the travelers checks.

Hotel room was beautiful. I have read the other reviews on "bad smells", but I never heard or experienced any of that. And we were there for 4 nights with a tour group. Because of the marble floors, the hole is needed to drain any excess water, but never did I smell anything bad. I was impressed with the hotel room, that I took several pictures of it.

Walked 7 minutes to the subway. Concierge helped me on how to get there. Crossing the street - watch out! Follow the Chinese. It can be scary, but it is doable. Pedestrians here do not have the "right of way". Took the subway and made my way to the NEST and the CUBE. The place has two subway stations, and the place is huge! I went to the Olympic store. No one there spoke English, but through hand signs, and gestures, I got what I wanted. People on the tour were jealous that I actually got official Olympic t-shirts and souvenirs, with the tags that say so. Also went to the Silk Market which was a short subway away. Loved it. Learned to love "haggling". From the subway, you can go underground and enter the SIlk Market through the basement floor, rather than try to cross the street! Three times I was helped by the local people to get me through the subway. No Chinese or English was spoken. Just gestures. I have never felt so welcome by random people in one of the most populous cities I have even seen. I love China!

Around the corner, and if you get up early enough, you will see the locals do their morning exercise. Across the street, you see students go through their morning exercise also, before school starts. It was interesting to watch.

Hotel internet was pricey, but I used it anyways.

For the first time American visitor to China, you will like this place. Beyond any normal American hotel. Just have an open mind, try and taste the local foods. The hotel atmosphere in the lobby seems cold and lonely, but you quickly get used to it. Only one time did I go down, and the bar was crowded. It must have been some local group or something.

Go to THIS Marriott in Beijing. You will love it.

• Stayed June 2009
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

Took the airport shuttle bus to the main railroad station; then about a 10 minute walk to the hotel. It's kinda weird how far the shuttle bus drops you off from the railroad station. the cost of the hotel shuttle bus is 15RMB. The hotel is pretty new; breakfast was included which was nice and ample. I stayed in tower D and the lounge on the 16th floor had three computers with free internet access. The room was large, as was the bathroom. 5 minute walk to the railroad station which also has a subway station. It took about 45 minutes on the subway to get to the Olympic park (3 transfers), and about 15 minutes to Tian'amen square/Forbidden city. I tried to take the train back to the airport, but the cab driver just dropped me off at the station from where the airport train departs, but could not find the actual train station, only the subway station (this is not the main railroad station). I ended up taking a cab to the airport which cost 90RMB. Would definitely stay here again, very nice and new, modern comfortable hotel with good service.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall? Share your experiences!