“Gives Best Western a bad name” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Grandsky Hotel Beijing

You added BEST WESTERN Grandsky Hotel Beijing to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Grandsky Hotel Beijing
No.5 Lanting Garden A, Shunyi District, Beijing 101312, China (Beijing Capital International Airport)   |
Ranked #529 of 5,424 Hotels in Beijing
3.5 of 5 stars 81 Reviews
“Gives Best Western a bad name”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012 via mobile

I was a bit leary of the low price but the room was better than I expected. Still it was very small with some mildew around the bathtub. On the positive side it was fairly clean.

The staff there is terrible. I was suppose to get picked up by the hotel at the airport. They were a no show and also did not pick up colleagues who arrived 30 minutes later. Checking in and out seemed to take forever. When I checked in, they actually charged my credit card for the deposit. I have never had that done before and I travel extensively. Normally they just swipen your card in case of damage.

Turns out when I checked in I was suppose to get an envelope with information for the conference I attended, but they failed to give it to me when I checked in.

Breakfast the next day was the WORST BREAKFAST I have ever had at any hotels. When we showed up for breakfast we were told we needed to get vouchers from the front desk....another thing they should have given us at checkin? You have to sit at communal tables that were filthy. I had cereal and the milk was actually hot. They were out of orange juice the entire breakfast and ran out of coffee cups.

This place is not well run! Best Western, you are not doing your brand any good by having your name on this hotel

Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

This is my second and last trip, the Crown Plaza is just across the road and HAS to be better. The worst thing about this hotel is that it is independantly owned and very badly run, very bad attitude from staff. Rooms are ok, soft beds, small and smell of smoke but they are ok and reasnably clean although there was another persons urine in my toilet when I lifted up the lid. No room amenities except a tea bag, communication quite difficult. No one helped with luggage, checking in was ok but when I wanted to leave a message for another guest, forget it! Would not recommend staying at this hotel when there are plenty others, I just had to be close to the airport but there are more choices for this part of town.

Room Tip: Search tripadvisor for alternatives, Crown Plaza should be ok. For dinner try The Orchard or Let...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Flat Rock, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Nothing spectacular. The service was good. It was mostly clean but a little dated. It was what I would expect in Beijing for the price I paid. My only complaint would be the walls bing very thin. ThankfullyI was very tired so the snoring from the guy next door did not keep me up.

Room Tip: Barter, Barter, BArter. When in China dont take the first price they give you, even on a hotel.. You...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This property is not the Ritz but it is honest. The rooms are generously proportioned and clean and I found the staff to be eager to oblige. The bar is very basic, but doesn't have the prices of a 5 Star property, if you need a beer, it's available at a fair price but the list isn't extensive.

Would I stay there again - every time I transit Beijing Capital Airport.

Room Tip: Not the Ritz, but honest
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Kiev
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I had a transit in Beijing arriving close to midnight with the next flight early in the morning - so this hotel looked good, because of its close location to the Beijing Capital Airport and very reasonable price.

The room was really big, nothing to complaint. But looks like they never cleaned a carpet and smoked all the time.

As my next flight was really early I asked reception for a wake up call at 04:30 and a taxi at 05:30. Also asked for something like a cup of coffee in the morning and a sandwich, but was told that the kitchen will be open only at 07:00, so they can't help me.
So I woke up without any calls at 05:35 in a cold sweat, grabbed my luggage and ran down to the lobby. And what I've found? - receptionists were sleeping! No wake up call, no taxi!!!

Thankfully the Airport is really close so I didn't miss the plane, but won't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I arrived a little past midnight and when I called for the advertised pickup, I was told that the driver did not work past midnight. After some argument with the person on the other side of the line, she managed to rouse the driver to come get me about 45 mins later.

The hotel was basic and like all other transit hotels in China that I've stayed in, the walls were remarkably thin. I could hear the TV from the next room going on the whole night and also people talking down the hall.

That being said though, if all you're looking for is a bed for the night, this definitely beats what is on offer in the airport.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Be forewarned: if you do not speak Chinese, this will not be a pleasant trip. I do speak Mandarin and still had trouble communicating with the staff. At the airport, it was a challenge figuring out where/how to catch the hotel shuttle. At the hotel, they could not find my reservation and would not call Best Western reservations or anyone else for assistance, finally taking my word on the price I got and charging me that rate. Again, if you speak English only you may be sorely, sorely out of luck.

The hotel itself is nice and clean enough. The room is compact but functional, with free wifi. The bed was firm and like other newer hotels in China, has outlets for 110V US electronics (beware if you have a three-pronged grounded plug you will need to bring an adapter). The bathroom was glorious, with a wonderful shower and nice amenities. The room temp control was hard to figure out, or they have it set to heat only, so I slept with the window open.

The shuttle ride to the airport at 6am was an adventure altogether, as they crammed all of us into one shuttle, then shoved ridiculous amounts of baggage into the passenger compartments - didn't quite pass my safety smell test. On top of that the busboy/porter was yelling at the guests to hurry up and not be so stupid about boarding and getting settled (politeness is not a basic service expectation in China just yet).

All in all, I'd stay here if you are comfortable with the language - it actually is a nice hotel and it's relatively close to the airport. Just understand potential issues and cultural differences that may arise and be ready to cope through them.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Grandsky Hotel Beijing? Share your experiences!