“5 Star for an oustanding Hilton Property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Beijing Wangfujing

Save Saved
You added Hilton Beijing Wangfujing to your Saves list
Hilton Beijing Wangfujing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.8 Wangfujing East Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100006, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #12 of 5,311 hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong, China
“5 Star for an oustanding Hilton Property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed in a Premier Suite for 3 nights. The hotel is conveniently located at the heart of Wangfujing, with a shopping mall nearby, and the famous tourist attractions such as Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, National Museum fairly nearby. The famous "Da Dong" roast duck restaurant is a mere 5-10min walk (in the freezing cold though) from the hotel--a must do when in Beijing
The suite is very spacious, with a generous living room and a separate masterbedroom. Depending on your liking, the hotel design is a bit "dim" , even with all the lights switched on, the room is still dim , but perhaps this varies from one to another. The furniture shows a bit of wear and tear (the wooden wardrobe shows visible scratches). and the bedsheets and duvet are a bit rough to my liking
The executive lounge is a very welcoming feature of the hotel; staff at the lounge are very professional; breakfast selection was adequate, and the quality of food was very good. There is also free wifi in the lounge (free in the room if you are Hhonors Gold or above).
Perhaps the only small criticism I have is with the checkin staff at the hotel lobby; during checkin the staff asked whether we would like to pay extra for breakfast, not aware that the suite has access to the lounge which includes breakfast; we also have another executive room which was kindly upgraded to an executive lifestyle suite, but was not pointed out during checkin (perhaps I'm being a bit too mean here). And finally during checkout, the attitude of the staff was a bit cold (not rude though).
Otherwise a very good Hilton property. Noticed that the Waldorf Astoria is being built just opposite the Hilton so would be interesting to see how this will affect the client flow (not to mention a Conrad Beijing opening in 2013)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WangfujingGM, General Manager at Hilton Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear zwgc2,

Thank you so much for having chosen to stay wih us and for reviewing your experience here on TripAdvisor. I was thrilled that you and your family enjoyed our service and facilities. The larger Premier Suite tends to be a bit darker than other room types due to its size (107 square meters). It seems our laundry may have over-starched the sheets, they are usually very soft and give a luxurious feel. I'm sorry you did not get to experience this. While we have a comprehensive upkeep program, we shall be upgrading and renovating our facilities on a regular basis to keep our property fresh and in tip top condition.
The new hotels from our family of brands will offer a distinctly different experience from us, and we are confident Beijing is large enough and attracts a large enough variety of clientele for all of us to be successful.
Thank you once again for your review, and hopefully we may have the pleasure of your presence again soon. Best regards, Marc de Beer

1,525 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We spent a long weekend with friends in Beijing and stayed a few nights at the Hilton Wangfujing. Overall I was very impressed. The hotel is huge with sleek and trendy decor. Check in was quick and we were pleasantly surprised as we were upgraded to a slightly larger room.

Our room was HUGE but very cozy. There was a whole room inside our room that I didn't even discover until the following day! Enormous bathroom with a great shower, very comfortable bed (not too hard or too soft), a sitting area and a desk. On our last day in Beijing it snowed so we stayed in and just enjoyed the room before checking out.

We had the buffet breakfast each morning and loved it. Fresh juices, an omelet station, fruits, waffles, etc. It had a little bit of everything, all of which was delicious. Excellent, strong coffee as well, which was served in a french press that is replenished until you are ready to fly out of the room on a caffeine high. We had cocktails one night in the bar and they were perfect - strong and tasty!

Location was great - we could easily walk to the forbidden city, Tiananmen Square, etc.- and there are tons of malls/shops nearby. Getting a taxi from the hotel was always quick and very easy. All of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

The only odd experience I had at the Hilton took place when I tried to use the pool. They have a lovely, large, heated pool that I was very much looking forward to swimming in. The first time I went to the pool (you have to check in at the spa desk) I was asked very politely to sign in, then I was asked if I had a swimming cap. This wasn't abnormal as most hotels I've stayed at in Asia have required you to wear a swimming cap, which they normally supply. However, when I said I didn't have one the front desk staff then told me I would need to purchase one. I asked if that was really necessary and if they had one I could use, to which they said no. So I said never mind, I won't use the pool. Then they suddenly had one I could borrow. The next day I went through the same process, being asked to buy a cap, then being allowed to borrow one. I didn't research this too closely but I don't recall seeing anything saying swimming caps were mandatory and you had to supply your own, nor have a I ever stayed at a hotel that tried to make me purchase one. Regardless, initially being told I could only use the pool if I purchased a swimming cap kind of put me off. Luckily, this was the only unpleasant experience I had at this hotel.

While getting a taxi from the hotel was easy, getting a taxi anywhere else in Beijing proved to be very difficult. The day we landed in Beijing we had booked a car service to take us from the airport to the Great Wall, then to the Hilton. This worked incredibly well as we avoided a lot of traffic, the car service was excellent and we had beautiful weather (we even saw some patches of clear blue sky!!). A friend had advised me that we should just book the car service for the entire weekend as they remain on call and, while expensive, you can use them as much or as little as you need. We decided against this as we figured we'd be doing a lot of walking and could easily flag down a taxi when needed. We were wrong.

For the rest of our time in Beijing we had freezing cold weather with steady, heavy ran that later turned into snow (it was so wet that I had to abandon my shoes halfway through the day and buy a new pair of shoes and socks at a massive shoe warehouse). Walking in this was unpleasant but we soon discovered we had no choice but to keep going as we were never once able to get a taxi even when stopping at hotels or other places where there would normally be a taxi rank. There are a number of illegal taxis in Beijing, which we made a point to avoid but even those were difficult to find. I don't know if this is normal or if it was just due to the weather but be prepared to walk, use the subway or hire a car service! The subway is hot and crowded but works well and is easy to use.

Despite the weather and our very tired, wet legs, we had a great time and would stay at the Hilton again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
WangfujingGM, General Manager at Hilton Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear T_in_Japan,

Thank you for your very complete review of your experience at our hotel last month. Please accept my sincere apologies for the bathing cap issue. I have discussed this with my team to prevent such a situation from happening again. I was relieved to learn that despite this hiccup you enjoyed the hotel as well as Beijing. Yes, the availability of taxis in Beijing continues to be a head ache, expecially during inclement weather such as you experienced. You did well to avoid the illegal taxis. Besides being more expensive, they carry no insurance to cover their passengers in case of accidents. I hope you will visiti your friends in Beijing again, perhaps in a different season, and that you will consider us as your place to stay again. With kind regards, Marc de Beer
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel is closed to the some major attractions in Beijing and walkable to most. The hotel staff provided great service and was helpful with our questions. Most spoke english well. The room was clean and had alot of walking around space. The hotel provided a great exchange rate, so if you are staying here, take advantage of it. One thing to note is that some walls of the bathroom is see thru glass, but with blinds. The door to the toilet and shower room is tinted glass. There was another hotel I stay in on this trip that had similar glass walls with blinds, so i guess it is not a strange design there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LiamWillTravel,

Thank you so much for your complimentary review here on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. I wish you happy future travels in the hope you will keep recommending us and that you will visit us again. Best regards, Marc de Beer
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The location is awesome. You can have a morning walk at the square area. The shopping malls and walking street are all within the walking distance.
The room is large, and really lovely.
The service is excellent.
The best Hilton I have stayed so far. I'm a SPG gold member but always stay in Hilton whenever I'm in Beijing.
You won't be disappointed either for holiday or business.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

During a business trip to Asia wie stayed for two nights at the Hilton Wangfujing. Already the Check-In was easy and the reception was warm. We immediately received our room, even it was quite early. I was very surprised by the size of the room, it was more the size of an apartment :-). We also went for a short lunch to the restaurant and there is nothing to add, besides very good. Breakfast buffet is very rich and it offers everything from American, Chinese and Japanese Style. Facilities are great, shopping mile and mall behind the hotel and the whole stay was perfect.

• Stayed December 2012
Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I Have been more tha 18 times in Beijing in different 5 star hotels, and I want to say that this is the best. Rooms are very wide and warm, location is fantastic: Staff are extremely warm and helpfull, specially Olga at the reception. At the Vascos restaurant I had lunch they have a complete buffet chinese and western and waiters are so warm and professionals.

I will come back when visiting Beijing for business or holiday

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear RobertoChile,

I am thrilled that you have been able to experience our award winning hospitality during your recent trip to Beijing. I will certainly recognize Olga for having made a great impression. We look forward to your return in the near future. Best regards, Marc de Beer
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The stay started out perfectly: we arrived at 10 am, and the registration person said, "there is always a room available for Diamond members." Ah, if this were only true at every Hilton property.

Room well-appointed and service highly attentive for the first two days - it was almost as if they knew we were leaving the room so they could spiff up, bring in a flower or cookie platter, etc. Startlingly hard to get cabs from this hotel - we waited for 10 minutes on a cold Sunday night while the doorman frantically tried valiantly to flag down a cab for us - we ended up taking the subway instead.

Steps from the pedestrian mall on Wangfujing, easy walk to Gugong and Qianmen.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 1kMileageRunner,

Thank you for having chosen Hilton Beijing Wangfujing for your recent stay in Beijing and for sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor. I was happy to learb our service impressed you. I regret the difficulty you experienced getting a taxi. The availability of taxis in Beijing remains a challenge, especially during rush hour or when the weather turns bad. I find that avoiding peak travelling times (8 - 9 AM and 5 - 7 PM) helps, although I realize this is not always an option. We continue to finetune our taxi driver loyalty program to encourage drivers to queu with us. I hope your experience on the Beijing subway was an enjoyable one. Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back with us. Regards, Marc de Beer

Been to Hilton Beijing Wangfujing? Share your experiences!