“Why would you bother staying anywhere else in Beijing?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Opposite House

You added The Opposite House to your Saves list
The Opposite House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Building 1, No.11 Sanlitun Road, Beijing 100027, China (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)   |
Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #9 of 5,488 Hotels in Beijing
Miami, Florida
“Why would you bother staying anywhere else in Beijing?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I just returned from a 5-night stay at The Opposite House and I’m still floored at how beautiful this hotel is, how fabulous is the neighborhood, and how amazing and well-trained the staff were. If you’re planning on booking at a standard hotel (i.e., a Hyatt, Four Seasons, etc.): don’t do it. Big mistake. Dumb. You’ll regret not staying at the Opposite House. There’s a reason why this place is currently ranked #3 out of 4,675 hotels in Beijing.

LOCATION: Sanlitun Village is a lovely and posh neighborhood where most the embassies are located and there's a lot of green space. The street where the hotel is located has a high-end shopping mall and lots of bars and restaurants. It was a terrific place to walk at night. The metro stop is a 10 minute walk and Beijing’s taxis are notoriously cheap.

THE HOTEL: I booked a Studio 70 (70 sq. meters) and was upgraded to a Studio 95 (95 sq. meters) with a balcony. As my photos show, the room was enormous and so was the balcony (ask for room 521). I was greeted upon arrival by two doormen who were always there and always smiling (one ran to a store one night to buy something for me—very nice kid). The entire staff with whom I dealt spoke good English (some were English!). I was also greeted by Maria Sablina, who checked me in, and whom I’d like to thank for taking such good care of me during my stay. I enjoyed speaking with her every day and she gave me a lovely tour of my room (it’s so big you literally need a tour). She was the consummate professional.

The lobby is a gorgeous piece of art and design. It’s not really even a lobby, it’s a giant living room. They don’t have a standard check-in desk. You’re greeted by, for instance, Maria, who sits down with you on a sofa and checks you in on an IPad. Very cool. The stainless steel pool downstairs next to the Kocoon Spa (ask for a massage with Abby) is beautiful.

THE ROOM: Ginormous. Please allow my photos to do most of the explaining. Walk in closet, walk-in shower, and walk-in commode. The huge wooden bathtub that a lot of reviewers post pictures of is even more impressive in person, and you will probably use it every day. Before I forget, the WIFI in the room was free and very fast. I was able to surf and watch video in the room and on my big balcony at night. Two LED TV’s (lots of channels in English) connected to a central Bose speaker system. There’s a master control panel next to the bed to handle lights, audio, and curtains. While you are surrounded by floor-to-ceiling windows, the electric curtains will black out the room to the point where you need your cell phone to see at night if you haven’t left your night light on! They also give you an IPad from which you can order room service, read about the hotel, and listen to music.

There’s a minibar that is full of candy bars, snacks, beer, soda, milk, water: and it’s all free and restocked daily. You have a Nespresso machine with coffee pods and a tea kettle to make instant tea and coffee (and you get plenty of this, too). I asked a maid for extra coffee one day and she gave me enough to throw a party (actually, I could have invited 20 people over the room was so big). There are bathrobes and slippers in the giant walk in closet with tons of drawers and storage space. A little amenity bag with toiletries (including toothbrushes and razors) is refilled every day. At night during turn down service, the porter brings a few extra bottles of water (they give you so much water) and a gift. One day it was a mud facial mask, the next some beautiful postcards (oh, they will mail your postcards for free), an Opposite House business card holder. They gave me 3 Opposite House music CD's which I've been playing at home (yes, the hotel has its own music). Very nice touches at every step. Maybe the coolest thing in the room (to me), was the “power station” in the desk, in which you can plug in any device that can handle 220 V without needing a Chinese electricity adapter (also, there’s a 120 V in the bathroom so I was able to charge my toothbrush).

BREAKFAST: Breakfast was included in my rate. You can either order the buffet or a la carte off the menu, and the food is delicious. It’s mainly a “western” breakfast. Eggs benedict, big English breakfast, omelets, etc. Order whatever you want if it’s included in the rate.

Finally, I’d like to personally thank Carl Hadaway, Director of Guest Experience. Not only did he leave me a handwritten “welcome” card upon my arrival, he sent me a bottle of wine and a handwritten “apology” when there was a very small problem in my room. So small an issue in fact that I was rather blown away by the kind gesture of sending the wine. Then he came and introduced himself at breakfast one day to again apoligize for the inconvenience, where there was no inconvenience at all. One way to judge a hotel's management is to observe how they react to a problem, and they totally nailed it.

Room Tip: If the weather is pleasant, spring for a studio 95 with balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cebu Island, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

check in was very pleasantly unusual. you are led to the sitting area instead of the usual reception counter. free beverage in the room, good sized room with wooden bathtub and sea salt.
room service was great and definitely one of the best hotels ever stayed in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel in March 2008 when it opened and I'm glad the vibe is still going as strong now as it was then. The rooms here are gorgeous and while restaurants have gone through a few renditions they're still great places to wine, dine or just kick back with friends. In addition, their bathroom amenity bag made my top 10 list of best hotel amenities (not what was inside but more the bag itself).

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had dinner a couple of weeks ago at the Chinese restaurant at Opposite House. Food was excellent, really delicious. I liked the environment as well however the team needs to be trained and supervised as the service was a chaos! The wine ordered when we arrived was served only after the meal was delivered after we had to ask. All the meals arrived together and so most if then were cold before we had time to finish. So we had dinner in one hour which is a bit disappointing for a place with that standard. Same as usual, the management has to be on the ground to supervise and make sure everything is delivered outstandingly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had a lot of expectations after reading all the rave reviews about this place in TripAdvisor. Had a 2 week stay in the Opposite House during October for a business trip. The hotel had a very chic and cool design which was pleasing to my eye. However, due to its mostly wood based shower areas, it was showing signs of wear and tear. I stayed on the 5th floor in the 45 sqm room. The walls of the shower stand were a little mouldy in the corners and the wood floor was very worn out. During my second week of stay, I noted mushrooms growing out of the corner of my shower room! I didn't complain immediately as I thought that they will clear it the next day, but they did not. Hence, I made a complaint to the duty manager. The matter was quickly solved but that already left a poor impression to me. In addition, I was surprised they did not sound proof the hotel well despite being a 5 star hotel with bars just right opposite and busy traffic. I could hear horns of cars passing by and music from the bars during the weekends. In fact, on some nights I could also hear my neighbours talking.

Housekeeping also left a lot to be desired as my floors were not cleaned properly. They probably think that guests won't take notice as the floors are quite dark. I noticed it anyway. For the price we paid, it is definitely not worth it despite it being in a great location. However, I note that staff here are mostly very friendly and eager to please. Breakfast was also lovely. I may just try out Hotel Intercontinental the next round when it opens.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road for a quieter night's sleep.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I try and not give places all five stars unless I really feel stunned. This place stunned me. It's beautifully designed and the lighting is conducive to relaxation and quiet. The rooms are Japanese spa modern white on tan wood, electronics are very modern and also carefully folded and hidden into the room. In a dark and polluted city, this hotel is a floating island of peace and cool.

I won't stay anywhere else in the city after this visit.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed! (besides Burj Al Arab in Dubai which however comes with a price tag). Service is great, from bell boy to manager, everyone is friendly and always willing to go for the extra mile to please the guests. The architecture and interior design are sleek and stylish. Everything inside the room is not just skin deep but also functional! The bath tub is the biggest indoor bath tub I have ever seen. Closet is big with many hangers. Water pressure is good and no water leaking from the shower cabinet that happens in almost every hotel! The air condition works well and is the most quiet I have ever found in a hotel. Complimentary minibar plus a small gift for each day is a very nice touch. Every corner of the room including the water closet is very clean and spotless. Breakfast is also one of the best, make sure you order hot dishes from the a la carte menu on top of the buffet table as they are included in the breakfast package. Since it is not my first time travelling to Beijing, I don't mind its location which is a bit off the main attraction. The hotel is very quiet though my room faces the shopping area. The Sanlitun neighborhood is very nice and safe. Many brand name shops and resturants around. The only downside is that the mattress is a bit hard for me which I understand is pretty much preferred by Asians.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family